There's this charter a quick drive from us that focuses on the GATE standards and differentiated everything. All about rigor and teaching Susan Kaplan's icons for reading/processing information. 20 kids in K and only 22 in classes through grade 8, which they are starting this year. One class per grade. And my oldest, DD5, just got a K spot! She was first in line for one of like 6 spots (after all the siblings--this means my other kids can all go there when they are ready!)

Now I have to reel in my mind from all the homeschooling prep it's been diving into... And everyone keeps saying all surprised (upset?) "I thought you were going to homeschool?!" well yeah I wasn't going to just send her to the local school, gifted or not, it's all test prep, huge classes, and daily TV. And pilgrims/Indians type history smirk

They seem really passionate and man if I was going to send my kid to any public school, this seems ideal. We'll see how it goes for her, but I'm so excited she gets to try it out. I still need to see how they'll adapt things for her since she's reading silently at upper elementary already and is probably grade 1 on most math stuff (except for when she describes number lines with negatives and other visions... Sometimes I have no idea what her needs really are, and I wish I could homeschool her to focus on her language gifts, but her little brother makes activities so difficult! Maybe the school will take care of some testing before long... And we get to homeschool every Friday plus extra days! 27% of instruction they say smile it seems meant to be.