Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    #128604 05/01/12 11:51 AM
    OP Offline
    I just saw this today and the application date starts today as well. For all us girls who are STEM inclined...

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Adrienne
    I just saw this today and the application date starts today as well. For all us girls who are STEM inclined...

I don't think government programs should exclude males or females unless there is a strong rationale. Looking at the criteria at the site, boys ARE able to apply, but they don't want boys to apply. My eldest son is interested in astronomy, so I'll encourage him to do so.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    NASA B.O.Y.S!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I don't think government programs should exclude males or females unless there is a strong rationale. Looking at the criteria at the site, boys ARE able to apply, but they don't want boys to apply. My eldest son is interested in astronomy, so I'll encourage him to do so.

I understand your point of view Bostonian, and as the mom of a son who is really into astronomy and science, the first thing I thought was "Gee, I wish there was a program like this for boys!". Then I realized after reading your reply that boys probably have to be accepted into this program... but fwiw... I'm also a female scientist and I've seen in my education and career how there can be gender barriers and I also understand wanting to get more girls interested in science. Sometimes you can't do everything with limited resources. If I was a mentor scientist in this program, I'd be committing my time expecting to mentor a girl, and that's why I would be making the commitment. So while I get that it should in theory be ok to go ahead and sign up a boy, I don't necessarily think it's something I'd do. But that's just me!

polarbear

A
    A
    I am an active member of a local Women in Technology group, and it's been interesting to watch the metamorphosis over the past three years. At first it was a core group of women who really leaned on each other for resources, support, connections, etc. in fields that are typically dominated by men. Many of those women helped me tremendously when I started my own tech company.

Now the monthly meetings have a ratio of about 2/3 women and 1/3 men. We've attracted some excellent guest speakers, educational classes, etc., that men have opted into taking part in. We've always welcomed men, but the focus has been on helping young girls and career women succeed in fields previously dominated by men.

I imagine the motive behind this program is similar, so I'd definitely encourage your son to apply.

W
    W
    i think this is great. When I took engineering, only 4% of the class was female. I think there has to be greater emphasis to encourage girls. Think Larry Summers and his comments about math and science and women....

Ren

D
    D
    I can't say I support the message that the brothers of the girls partaking of the program will be receiving.

DAD22 #128721 05/02/12 09:51 AM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    I can't say I support the message that the brothers of the girls partaking of the program will be receiving.

What message will the brothers be receiving?

P
    P
    What message? That the program is encouraging girls to stay involved in science?

I would explain to my children (boys and girls - and I have both btw) - that girls have traditionally been under-represented in science and technology fields, and that this is one way that scientists are using to try to encourage girls who enjoy science to stay interested in it and consider it as a career path. That's what it is.

polarbear

ABQMom #128732 05/02/12 10:27 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    Originally Posted by DAD22

What message will the brothers be receiving?

The message that boys' interest in science is less worthy of being encouraged than that of girls.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM