Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Another point to consider: the alternative to encouraging more participation in STEM by American women is to import male talent from places like China, India, and Brazil.

Dude #128967 05/04/12 07:48 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Another point to consider: the alternative to encouraging more participation in STEM by American women is to import male talent from places like China, India, and Brazil.

I want to change the topic from women in STEM to STEM in general. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Medicine. What evidence is there for a shortage of college graduates with science degrees? Looking at the data in

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/the-college-majors-that-do-best-in-the-job-market/
    The College Majors That Do Best in the Job Market
    By CATHERINE RAMPELL
    New York Times
    May 19, 2011

"physical science" majors had middling job placement and low average salaries -- $21K for jobs that require a B.A. or B.S.
    Maybe this number is depressed by science majors earning low salaries as graduate students / teaching assistants. The numbers look better for the other parts of "TEM".

Looking at compensation vs. required effort and ability, physical science majors don't look good. If someone wants to study physics or chemistry because he or she is fascinated by the subject, fine, but such students should not be misled about their career prospects by talk of a general "STEM" shortage.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Originally Posted by Bostonian

I want to change the topic from women in STEM to STEM in general. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Medicine. What evidence is there for a shortage of college graduates with science degrees? Looking at the data in

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/the-college-majors-that-do-best-in-the-job-market/
    The College Majors That Do Best in the Job Market
    By CATHERINE RAMPELL
    New York Times
    May 19, 2011

"physical science" majors had middling job placement and low average salaries -- $21K for jobs that require a B.A. or B.S.
    Maybe this number is depressed by science majors earning low salaries as graduate students / teaching assistants. The numbers look better for the other parts of "TEM".

Looking at compensation vs. required effort and ability, physical science majors don't look good. If someone wants to study physics or chemistry because he or she is fascinated by the subject, fine, but such students should not be misled about their career prospects by talk of a general "STEM" shortage.

http://press.manpower.com/press/201...ind-the-right-talent-for-open-positions/

Looking at the ten hardest to fill positions, you have the E in STEM at number 3, and the T at number 6. It's also worth pointing out the non-degree positions at 1 and 10 are generally considered boy jobs and are much more science-based today than your grandfather's factory job was (well, 10 is still the same, but it's also still machining).

STEM workers are typically imported via the H1B visa program, which is capped at 85,000 visas a year (with certain employers exempt from the cap). Here's a listing of job fields for H1B visa holders: http://www.h1base.com/content/h1boccupations

ABQMom #128978 05/04/12 09:32 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    Agreed. The vast majority of teachers are female, and being raised without a father is much more common than being raised without a mother. So it seems to me that the opportunity for girls to have a significant relationship with a positive same-sex role model is significantly greater than the opportunity for boys.

I've re-read this comment several times and just can't get past the assumption that single moms and teachers are enough for girls and that viewing women in other powerful roles of leadership and in technology is not necessary or needed. I honestly cannot believe you think that and am now wondering if such posits as these are simply to stoke the fire.

Did you miss the context of my statement? It was a comment on this:

Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    The best sort of mentoring and the best role models would be born out of already existing relationships:. Teachers, parents, interested professionals. I think we all agree that these relationships can have great impacts on people's lives.

This does not appear to be restricted in scope to STEM topics. With so many people lamenting the lack of positive same-sex role models for girls in one particular sector of industry, I felt compelled to point out that boys are at an even greater risk for being without significant interaction with positive same-sex role models in their lives. I did not mean to imply as you inferred that "viewing women in other powerful roles of leadership and in technology is not necessary or needed." However, it's clear to me that since finding success in STEM fields requires solid basic education, anyone who benefits from a mentor or role model who pushes them to obtain those basics finds themselves in a better position to pursue STEM fields than someone who does not.

Speaking generally about the topic now:

There are a lot of things that affect what children expect from themselves. I think the biggest contributor is what their parents expect from them. My daughter is 3, and I'm already convinced that she has great potential. Thus I will have high expectations for her, and hope to influence her to have high expectations for herself. There are many factors that contribute to children of both sexes lowering their expectations. They can be lazy. They can desire to fit in with their peers in a general sense. They can desire to spend time with particular individuals incapable of pursuing (or unwilling to pursue) intellectual topics at a challenging level. I don't think that anti-intellectualism hits girls any harder than it hits boys, but that has no bearing on my objection to this program.

In case anyone has come to the wrong conclusion: I am all for NASA employees mentoring middle school girls, and doing so in the most effective way possible, which probably necessitates trying to pair girls with female mentors. I can easily see myself trying to take advantage of such a program in a few years. If anyone tries to imply that I'm against this, then they are out of their minds, and I wont be responding to them.

My objection is solely to the fact that this program has been set up to cater exclusively to girls. While I'm excited about the positive effects that mentorship in STEM fields can have on girls, I'm also excited about the positive effects it can have on boys. I don't lament a missed opportunity for a girl any more than I lament a missed opportunity for a boy.

Dude #128983 05/04/12 09:42 AM
    D
    D

Sounds like a false dichotomy to me. What about encouraging more STEM participation by Americans in general? What about importing female talent from outside America's borders?

Also, do you mean to imply that American female engineers should be preferred over engineers from outside our borders? If so, why?

DAD22 #128986 05/04/12 09:51 AM
    A
    A
    dad22 - to each his own. At this point, the conversation isn't going to bring better understanding or a more open dialogue, so I'm thinking for myself it is time to bow out.

I come here for support, advice, and help for my very challenging son and am grateful for all I've received from this community. I don't want to mar it with acerbic debate that isn't going to result in opening your eyes to what I'm trying to point out. I respect your right to believe as you do, but I don't agree with the opinions expressed, it is nice we both can agree that more opportunities are usually a good thing.

Prissy #128990 05/04/12 10:17 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Prissy
    As Dude said, just because you know the message is illogical, doesn't mean that a young girl does and they're the ones receiving it - not you.

I prefer to use logic rather than discrimination to counter illogical conclusions. I hope others will do the same.

Originally Posted by Prissy
    So what exactly are you doing to actively spread the message that women are welcome in STEM fields? How many secondary school or college women or junior staff in you organziation are you mentoring in your field? If you aren't contributing to the solution then it's not entirely appropriate for you to be tearing down an organziation (government supported or not) that is trying. Constructive criticism is a different story.

Are you seriously trying to convince me to keep my opinions to myself? It's absolutely appropriate for anyone to offer their opinions on this topic. You really have some nerve. Additionally, I have not been tearing down any organizations. I have simply been stating that I find one particular element of one particular program to be inappropriate: the exclusion of boys (officially or by implication) from NASA GIRLS.

As far as my involvement, I have mentioned that I sometimes recruit for an engineering firm. I discuss career options with male and female college students on a somewhat regular basis. I certainly make sure that everyone feels welcome. My company also offers an internship program, for which I perform interviews and mentoring. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to discuss who has been accepted into that program, however. I have a great interest in FIRST as well (my company sponsored a local high school robotics team), though volunteering doesn't really fit into my schedule at the moment, with two preschool children to take care of at home.

DAD22 #128993 05/04/12 10:32 AM
    P
    P
    I've tried my best to not post anything further and stay non-involved on this post smile but fwiw, I want to add one final thought from me - and it's just that, one thought from me.

There are a lot of things that affect what children expect from themselves. I think the biggest contributor is what their parents expect from them. My daughter is 3, and I'm already convinced that she has great potential. Thus I will have high expectations for her, and hope to influence her to have high expectations for herself.

I agree that if we as parents have high expectations of our children, they will have high expectations of themselves. But one thing that we can't alter as parents is how the world sees our children, and that too will have an impact on our kids.

As an example, two of my children are Asian, and I'm Caucasian. I do not for one minute believe that color and/or race defines a person. I have no preconceived notions about the ability or lack of ability or where a person fits into society or the world or whatever based on the color of their skin. I believe that by sharing my values and showing by example that I *hope* my children will also believe the same things. HOWEVER, I can't take away beliefs from other people outside of our family who believe differently, and my children are going to (and already have) run into people who either inadvertently or directly let them know they are being judged based on the color of their skin and their ethnicity.

Taking that concept back into the talk about girls and STEM careers - my dh and I are both career STEM folks with STEM degrees who are passionate about math and science, so my kids have role models at home. But when they visit our offices... they are going to see mostly men. At school the secondary science teachers are mostly men. Most of the women adults they meet aren't scientists. No matter what I teach my girls at home the outside world at large is sending them a different message, and I have seen the impact in my two dds at very young ages.

So that's the last of my 2 cents.

To the OP, thanks for posting the link! I am going to sign my dd up. I am going to look for something similar for my ds. It's a great concept, and I'm glad the program is out there for girls smile

polarbear

DAD22 #128994 05/04/12 10:42 AM
    Val Offline
    I don't think that anti-intellectualism hits girls any harder than it hits boys, but that has no bearing on my objection to this program.

Yes, it's much, much worse for girls. Why did Larry Summers feel comfortable making the remarks he did? You don't think that sends a message? Why do men make dumb blonde jokes? Etc.

Obviously, things today are better than they were when Marie Curie could only work in the lab because her husband hired her as his technician. But there is still a huge segment of the population in the United States that tells women to be quietly submissive to their husbands and to stay home and raise kids. It's not just men doing this; women contribute to the problem, too (e.g. Mommy Wars).

Just because YOU and your daughter aren't in that demographic doesn't mean it doesn't exist and that it doesn't affect a lot of girls. These girls desperately need to interact with women who aren't being quietly submissive. Not just see them on TV. INTERACT with them.

DAD22 #128995 05/04/12 10:54 AM
    S
    S
    [ I have a great interest in FIRST as well (my company sponsored a local high school robotics team), though volunteering doesn't really fit into my schedule at the moment, with two preschool children to take care of at home.

I'm curious about how many girls were on that HS robotics team? Was it pretty equal? Because if not, I wonder what's being lost without the girl-brains being part of the equation?

And when you're recruiting, do an equal number of men and women apply?

Last edited by syoblrig; 05/04/12 10:56 AM.
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM