Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 322 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    ABQMom #128842 05/03/12 07:13 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    Originally Posted by ABQMom
    I can't say I support the message that the brothers of the girls partaking of the program will be receiving.

What message will the brothers be receiving?

I am an engineer who grew up as a talented math student, and I am somewhat accustomed to the double standard. There was always extra excitement surrounding a girl who was good at math (and awards for best performing girl at public school math competitions... sorry to the dozens of guys who outscored her, you're the wrong sex). Now I am involved in recruitment and hiring, and the excitement carries on. Engineering firms compete to bring in female engineers in a way that they don't compete for males. Maybe this is a complete reversal from decades past. If so, I think we should damp the oscillation instead of driving it.

It sounds like this is personal for you because of your own experiences of dealing with bias.

I guess I could take it personally as well that I was turned down for funding by a group of Angel Investors because I was a woman that they thought wasn't up to the task of running a tech corporation. But the truth is that they would have made lousy advisors and mentors and second-guessed every decision I made because of their bias. After continuing to bootstrap, I made it to a profitable year without taking in any investor capital. So I'm in a better position, and I've proven them wrong in the very best of ways - by being successful.

The point is that BIAS is very different than mentoring a specific under-represented group with the goal of alleviating cultural and societal bias. It is a shame that your corporation displayed bias and that you dealt with teachers who displayed bias. I am sure you're mentoring your own son to not show bias, having experienced the negative effects in your own career.

I think you're missing half the point of my post. The bias I experienced was at public school. NASA is a government funded organization. I expect my government to operate without bias. I'm glad that your angel investors missed a money making opportunity as a result of their bias, but while I see it as the duty of government to treat citizens fairly, I don't see it as the duty of government to force citizens to treat each other fairly. I want people to do that on their own. However, our government actually does have anti-discrimination requirements for economic entities, so it seems to me that you could have filed a case against your would-be angle investors, if you felt you had sufficient evidence. (Not saying you should have, obviously that's a personal choice, and I wouldn't ever bring a case against a non-government entity for excluding me from their business dealings.)

Dude #128852 05/03/12 09:00 AM
    Val Offline
    I think there are two different problems here that are being conflated. One is bias in hiring and the other is bias in expectations. The NASA mentoring program is addressing bias in expectations.

There are many valid criticisms of hiring practices that exclude or pick people based on gender, race, etc. I generally agree with them. There are exceptions (e.g. clothing models), but generally, there are good arguments against bias in hiring.

At the same time, bias in expectations is everywhere, and it can be harmful. The uber-girlie Lego kits I linked to are a good example. They're simplistic, as opposed to complex kits aimed at boys. Is this because girls can't do "hard" kits? I don't know. But if you don't believe me, just click through the Lego Friends kits on Amazon or some other site and look at them. They feature basic designs, and everyone is nice and happy and smiling and not challenging the status quo (again, compare to sets for boys). This is only one of countless examples. My DD7, who figured out how to divide in her head when she was three, told me that she's not good at math because it's not for girls. She certainly didn't hear from anyone in her family.

DAD22 #128853 05/03/12 09:01 AM
    I will take it upon myself to make sure that my daughter never feels that STEM topics are inappropriate for her, while advocating for every facet of her education, math and science included.

You had better hurry. All of society is giving your daughter a different message, including, possibly, her teachers if she is in a b/m school.

DAD22 #128859 05/03/12 09:53 AM
    A
    A
    I think you're missing half the point of my post. The bias I experienced was at public school. NASA is a government funded organization. I expect my government to operate without bias.

I see where you're coming from, but it certainly isn't a windmill worth tilting in my book. A few female scientists and engineers chatting via Skype with little girls is a good thing, but maybe offering a similar opportunity for boys wouldn't be out of the question. I think Val put it very well
    Originally Posted by Val
    I think there are two different problems here that are being conflated. One is bias in hiring and the other is bias in expectations. The NASA mentoring program is addressing bias in expectations.

Val #128861 05/03/12 09:54 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    At the same time, bias in expectations is everywhere, and it can be harmful. The uber-girlie Lego kits I linked to are a good example. They're simplistic, as opposed to complex kits aimed at boys. Is this because girls can't do "hard" kits? I don't know. But if you don't believe me, just click through the Lego Friends kits on Amazon or some other site and look at them. They feature basic designs, and everyone is nice and happy and smiling and not challenging the status quo (again, compare to sets for boys). This is only one of countless examples. My DD7, who figured out how to divide in her head when she was three, told me that she's not good at math because it's not for girls. She certainly didn't hear from anyone in her family.

You may think girls' Legos are too girlie, but they will sell well only if many girls like them. If they sell poorly, they will be discontinued. That is how the free market discourages "bias", properly defined as *incorrect* beliefs about the sexes. Some activists in the government, which is not subject to market discipline, want different groups make the same choices about what to study or what careers to pursue, and they are willing to discriminate to achieve their aims. This is economically inefficient and morally wrong.

L
    L
    The best sort of mentoring and the best role models would be born out of already existing relationships:. Teachers, parents, interested professionals. I think we all agree that these relationships can have great impacts on people's lives.

The fact that NASA has created a program to mentor young girls, along with the low numbers of girls going into STEM programs, suggests that the informal system has broken down for girls and Women@NASA is attempting to make up for this breakdown. The informal system seems to work for boys so complaining about this little program for a handful of girls seems a bit petty, imo.

As for what message it sends to boys, well, it seems to me it sends the message that the industries are is designed with them in mind so they don't need these "make-up" programs. And why should we be more worried about the messages boys receive than the messages girls receive?

This reminds my of the day I went to little league football registration with my DS7, who sincerely asked, "how come there aren't any girls here?" Sigh. I wish we lived in his world.

LNEsMom #128868 05/03/12 10:44 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    The best sort of mentoring and the best role models would be born out of already existing relationships:. Teachers, parents, interested professionals. I think we all agree that these relationships can have great impacts on people's lives.

Agreed. The vast majority of teachers are female, and being raised without a father is much more common than being raised without a mother. So it seems to me that the opportunity for girls to have a significant relationship with a positive same-sex role model is significantly greater than the opportunity for boys.

The fact that NASA has created a program to mentor young girls, along with the low numbers of girls going into STEM programs, suggests that the informal system has broken down for girls and Women@NASA is attempting to make up for this breakdown. The informal system seems to work for boys so complaining about this little program for a handful of girls seems a bit petty, imo.

Petty. Principled. Tomato. Tomahto. I can easily put myself in the situation of someone with a girl who is interested in the program who also has a son who would be interested in the program if they didn't discriminate against him. If something is unfair on an individual level, but argued as fair on a group level, I usually don't agree with those arguments. Thomas Sowell wrote a book on the issue called "The Quest for Cosmic Justice."

As for what message it sends to boys, well, it seems to me it sends the message that the industries are is designed with them in mind so they don't need these "make-up" programs.

What do you mean when you say our industries are designed?

And why should we be more worried about the messages boys receive than the messages girls receive?

Did someone say we should be? I suggested that the message boys receive should not be completely ignored.

M
    M
    Please refrain from insults - I went back and deleted a few comments.

Thanks!

L
    L
    On the topic of girls having so many same-sex role models: Did you notice how many of the girls want to be teachers or moms in the "What do they want to be thread?" Just sayin....

Look on www.nasa.gov and go to the student section. There are many oppotunities. Find something they can both do.

OP Offline
    Wow, ok so I have been really busy this week and haven't gotten back to this post. I was trying to pass along an opportunity that rarely comes along for girls who are excited about this kind of thing. And its free besides your own supplies.

Any opportunity, no matter for girls, boys, 2e, 99.9%'ers, should be cause for applause. Especially with cut backs to gifted education in many school districts.

Thank you NASA Women!

The impossible is just something that hasn't happened yet.
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM