Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #12860 04/01/08 05:30 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Can I get some opinions on Aleks for Algebra? About 6 weeks ago, DS (homeschooled) switched from Teaching Textbooks to Aleks for Algebra I so that DS could get some extra practice in one specific area. But he really likes it, and in several areas, I prefer Aleks to TT.

However, I often hear about Aleks used for afterschooling, summer review, etc. But I don't hear much about folks using it as a standalone course. Is it "math lite"? DS is a math guy and does a lot of pleasure reading in Life of Fred, Zaccaro books, etc. So Aleks wouldn't be his only Algebra work--but it would be the main course.

I want to be sure he's doing something fairly rigorous, but I'm not a math person. I know that some of you here ARE math people...and I value your opinions on this matter. Is Aleks a good course, or should I really be looking into something like AOPS for Algebra I?

Thanks in advance!
    Tara

Everyone I know who uses Aleks loves it.

Our DYS contact even suggested going with Aleks until DS6 memorizes his times tables, since roughly half of Singapore 3A is multi-digit multiplication, and it's a royal pain to do that without having your times tables down.

I suspect Aleks tends to be favored by afterschoolers because it's on a computer, not from a workbook, while full-time HSers like the workbook. It's just my theory, so it's worth exactly what you paid for it (LOL!), but I know I'm not very happy to give up my time on the computer, plus we can't take it with us like we can our workbooks. Using Aleks would require a big change in our schedule, and I'm not up for that yet.

But I'm definitely thinking about switching.

I don't know about how it is for algebra. Let me know for when we get there, would you, please? smile

Kriston
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Well, DS was already about 1/3 of the way through TT's Algebra I course when we switched to Aleks. When he first took the Aleks Algebra I placement test, it said he already knew a little less than a third of their Alg I topics. And now, according to Aleks' handy-dandy bar graph, DS is about 2/3 of the way through that list of Algebra I topics (after using Aleks for 6 weeks).

His pace seems too fast to me - for him to be able to complete Algebra I in less than 5 months at 8 years old. The fact that he is moving so quickly could either be the whole PG-pacing thing, or (my fear) that Aleks isn't rigorous enough. Again, math not being my strong suit, I'm not sure which option is the right one. I just want to feel comfortable with the curriculum we're using, and haven't heard from anyone using Aleks full-time for high school math...

Tara

It doesn't seem like an unreasonable pace to me. DS6 did two years of elementary school math in less than 4 months before we hit the times tables wall. So Algebra I in that same space of time--especially if he came with some knowledge beforehand--seems reasonable.

If you're doubting that he really had 1/3 of the concepts under his belt already, well, that, too, seems possible to me. I'd bet money that DS6 has some of them already. Your DS is so far ahead of mine, it makes perfect sense to me that he'd have 1/3 or so.

But I'm just extrapolating...I know nothing for sure, of course.

Kriston
    We've never tried Aleks but since your son is a math kid how about trying AoPS? I am sure he would pass the "are you ready" test and it may provide lots of depth and challenge for him. You could always get the textbook and go through it or at least have him look at it and see what he thinks.

I wouldn't be surprised if he could do Algebra in 5 months. I would still look at AoPS though. He could get more out of it.

BTW I hope a few years from now you will have it all figured out and be able to tell me what's the best thing to do for Algebra LOL

LMom
    LMom #12895 04/02/08 01:56 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I aksed this same question on the WTM boards, and was told that Aleks isn't "spine" worthy (to be used as the main resource for a course) and that it wasn't rigorous. frown

So...now I am worried again. I am considering getting a standard Algebra textbook, like Houghton-Mifflin, to be sure that he's really getting the depth he needs. I know that if he doesn't have a very solid handle on Algebra that the other upper-level math courses will be very difficult for him. I feel like I need an educational advisor or something.

Tara

Dottie #12897 04/02/08 02:05 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Dottie, I appreciate your feedback.

There is a beginning algebra AOPS course starting in June but I fear that it will be a lot of review from the table of contents. What do you think? I just don't want to pay a ton of money for him if the first 10 weeks of 24 are review...but if it's going to REALLY reteach and solidify things, I would consider it.

I have another question but I'm going to PM or email you...

Tara

Dottie #12901 04/02/08 03:40 PM
    Have you seen the new group buy on Thinkwell through the homeschool buyer's co-op? They have several options for algebra, and they only cost about $56 each! Wowie zowie!

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by czechdrum
    There is a beginning algebra AOPS course starting in June but I fear that it will be a lot of review from the table of contents. What do you think? I just don't want to pay a ton of money for him if the first 10 weeks of 24 are review...but if it's going to REALLY reteach and solidify things, I would consider it.

I'd like to assure you that I find the AoPS Introductory Algebra course EXTREMELY challenging. Mind you, my brain is re-learning Algebra as my kids are going through it, but the course is excellent, high level, fast-paced, with very challenging questions as extensions for every unit. DS was keeping up until Spring Break (not doing all of the challenge problems), but we're a bit behind now. Older DS in Algebra 2 couldn't solve the Introductory course challenge problems.

cym #12921 04/03/08 06:31 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I appreciate your input because I've been doing a lot of research over the last few days.

I am seriously considering the AOPS Beginning Algebra text, and am going to have DS take the pre-test.

Is there any reason for me to wait for the June class? In other words, does the text have good enough explanations for a mathy kid to work through it on his own? I really would prefer not to wait 2 more months to start. The book excerpts I see online tend to be mostly the exercises/problems and solutions...I was looking for the part where the text explains a new concept.

Tara

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM