Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Ania #13017 04/04/08 09:35 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    I agree with Ania about the AoPS course being for Mathy kids. I would choose a different course for my not-so-mathy DS. AoPS is fast pace. The Text and solutions set come together, and the solution set shows you how to solve.

My younger kids are doing ALEKS at school. They do not progress fast and find it a little frustrating that if they don't score perfectly, they're kicked back (DS9 can be careless, but he'll usually gets all but one or two correct--he claims 100% needed to complete pie. I prefer 85% or even 90%, because he's definitely mastered concepts). Even though they can access it at home and during the summer, they have never elected to do so (despite Mom's encouraging it).

There are a lot of Algebra curricula out there with enormous range of prices. EPGY and JHU CTY are pretty costly, depending on how fast you can complete it (kids who do it as afterschool will pay more than a homeschooler who has more time to devote to it as their sole math class). AoPS course is about 1/3 the price of those and includes the text/solutions (EPGY required separate text purchase). We had more computer problems with EPGY than with AoPS (essentially no problems). EPGY however would be easier to negotiate credit for since there are grades and quizzes, homework, exams, etc. AoPS seems better suited for supplementing (my opinion).

Does anyone have experience with APEX learning comprehensive courses (Algebra 1 or 2)?

Last edited by cym; 04/04/08 09:37 AM.
    cym #13040 04/04/08 01:23 PM
    My problem is that I'm not yet sure if DS6 is mathy or not. He's two grades ahead, and concepts seem to come easily to him. Times table memorization is all that's slowing him down right now. But he's 5+ grades ahead in reading. So perhaps you can see why I'm not sure if he's mathy or not.

FWIW, I think he'll be a whiz at upper-level geometry, algebra and calculus. He has engineer written all over him! It's just a matter of getting through all the rest of it to get there...

I have lots of time, so I don't mean to clog up this thread. But especially since we're homeschooling, I'm keeping an eye out all the time for good curricula and programs!

Getting out of the way now. Thanks! smile

Kriston
    Dottie #13045 04/04/08 01:52 PM
    Thanks, Dottie. That helps, since our conversations have led me to believe that DS6 is at least somewhat similar to your DS.

I'll keep my eye on AoPS for the future!

Kriston
    Hey all,

I wouldn't go so far as to consider Aleks only for your "normal smart child".
    I'm thinking it has more to do with personality. DD8 certainly isn't MG and she loves Aleks. She is also a very mathy person. Her personality is very focused and methodical. Aleks gives a choice when the child seems to have gotten a subject. They can go on to something else, or "master" the subject with a few more questions. DD8 is hilarious, she absolutley will not stop til she masters each subject. She doesn't do Aleks everyday, but when she does log on she goes at it for upwards of an hour or more sometimes. She likes it so much I went ahead and paid for the next six months.
    I will probably look into Aops at some point because you all have posted favorable reviews.
    DD5 who scored lower on IQ test, although I certainly wouldn't refer to her as normal smart either, wouldn't touch Aleks with a ten foot pole.

Neato

Dottie #13050 04/04/08 02:07 PM
    I like to have a book in my hand myself. I guess I'm a little old fashioned.

smile

Neato

Dottie #14392 04/22/08 12:47 PM
    Dottie, thanks for ressurrecting this thread as I have been meaning to add something.

I had a look at the challenge set from Intro to Alg. The FIRST chalenge set, I might add. There are problems on it (I don't have it front of me so I can't give you exact numbers) that my DS is doing currently at school in his ALG 2 class ! I am so grateful for it, in a sense, since it has proved to my DS that yes indeed he should start Algebra courses at AoPS from Intro to Alg., even though he will be doing pre-calc at school.
    Sadly, the school does not teach him much (as he has been always telling me).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM