Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    you have described my 5 year old son to a T. Let's just say that between January and the end of April he is now in Therapy for severe anxiety and learnt underachievement and is no longer attending school. frown

I will do a proper update post as soon as I have the emotional strength to do so.

Once they figure out that they onyl have to do half of what they are truly capable of, they get so angry inside. But some of the higher-level gifted kids don't show it outside of the home from what I have read.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/underserved.htm explains it nicely.

Interesting that you brought up the learnt underachievement. That is something the tester we are going to use this summer suggested could be the cause of her faltering trajectory around the time she entered pre-k at age 3.

Now whether or not that is the cause of her temper tantrums and behavior I'm not sure. She is definitely an intense child at times. She hurt her sister again yesterday when they were arguing. I am at a loss as to how to punish her for this b/c sending her to her room and apologizing for her actions doesn't seem to be doing anything. And she isn't using the code word we came up with for when she is angry or frustrated.

And her night terrors and sleepwalking are picking up speed and happening every night again. It's not as bad as last fall when it was 2+ times a night, but still exhausting for me. I think it has to do with the bugs she has been so interested in learning about lately as she will sometimes talk about bugs during her terrors/sleepwalking. She never remembers but she is anxious about going to sleep and says she feels bugs crawling on her or that she's worried there are bugs in her room. Yet she won't stop reading the bug books, hunting for bugs, or playing with her pet click beetle.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
    you have described my 5 year old son to a T. Let's just say that between January and the end of April he is now in Therapy for severe anxiety and learnt underachievement and is no longer attending school. frown

I will do a proper update post as soon as I have the emotional strength to do so.

Once they figure out that they onyl have to do half of what they are truly capable of, they get so angry inside. But some of the higher-level gifted kids don't show it outside of the home from what I have read.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/underserved.htm explains it nicely.

Interesting that you brought up the learnt underachievement. That is something the tester we are going to use this summer suggested could be the cause of her faltering trajectory around the time she entered pre-k at age 3.

Now whether or not that is the cause of her temper tantrums and behavior I'm not sure. She is definitely an intense child at times. She hurt her sister again yesterday when they were arguing. I am at a loss as to how to punish her for this b/c sending her to her room and apologizing for her actions doesn't seem to be doing anything. And she isn't using the code word we came up with for when she is angry or frustrated.

And her night terrors and sleepwalking are picking up speed and happening every night again. It's not as bad as last fall when it was 2+ times a night, but still exhausting for me. I think it has to do with the bugs she has been so interested in learning about lately as she will sometimes talk about bugs during her terrors/sleepwalking. She never remembers but she is anxious about going to sleep and says she feels bugs crawling on her or that she's worried there are bugs in her room. Yet she won't stop reading the bug books, hunting for bugs, or playing with her pet click beetle.

ALL our issues accelerated the longer he was at school - weekends were pleasant until Sunday afternoons. Then it would start again. School breaks would be wonderful until he found a calendar and saw less than 5 sleeps to school. It affected everything: appetite, sleeping, bedwetting, affection levels. At the very end even his physical abilities sometimes regressed when the anxiety was exceptionally high - he would walk like our toddler with his hands up by his shoulders, his speech would degenerate, he would whine and moan instead of talking.

And yes, it affects EVERYONE in the house.

They cannot apologize for it - it's not malicious - it's their way of crying out for someone to do something to change the trap they feel they are in. Problem with starting "school" from age 3, they cannot even explain why the academic fit is all wrong for them, they can't verbalise the boredom or anger - simply because it has most likely been the only clear association they have with nearly all of their schooling experience.

On the underachievement thing: It's very real!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by mountainmom2011

Feeling bugs crawling on your skin is a neurological symptom called "formication". In combination with other neurological symptoms such as night terrors and sleepwalking, and with the irritability and outbursts, you might want to consider getting a referral for a neuro consult from your pediatrician.

Not every problem gifted children experience is due to giftedness.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by aculady
    Feeling bugs crawling on your skin is a neurological symptom called "formication". In combination with other neurological symptoms such as night terrors and sleepwalking, and with the irritability and outbursts, you might want to consider getting a referral for a neuro consult from your pediatrician.

Of course they are not only due to giftedness.

I think mountainmom did say that originally too. She commented on my response and I commented back. that's all.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    A
    A
    My only goal in posting was to give a heads-up that this combination of symptoms might be due to more than spending a lot of time studying bugs (since that was what the formication was explicitly attributed to.) I know that if someone noticed a pattern that might be indicative of something like a seizure disorder in my child, I would want them to tell me, even if I thought that the issue was due to something totally unrelated that I was already aware of, like giftedness. I'm sorry if my post came across as anything else.

M
    OP Offline
    M

Of course they are not only due to giftedness.

I think mountainmom did say that originally too. She commented on my response and I commented back. that's all.

Thank you, that is what I was trying to say.. that I'm not sure if her behavior/tantrums are due to possible giftedness. I just wanted to see if anybody else is dealing with similar problems.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    My only goal in posting was to give a heads-up that this combination of symptoms might be due to more than spending a lot of time studying bugs (since that was what the formication was explicitly attributed to.) I know that if someone noticed a pattern that might be indicative of something like a seizure disorder in my child, I would want them to tell me, even if I thought that the issue was due to something totally unrelated that I was already aware of, like giftedness. I'm sorry if my post came across as anything else.

I appreciate you informing me about this. I have never heard of formication and will look into it as a possibility. However, I really think the bug crawling feeling and fear of going to bed are more related to her overactive imagination and anxiety. But like you said with the combo of all the symptoms there is a reason to be on the lookout.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM