Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #12806 03/31/08 06:06 PM
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I lurked some interesting insight on a psych list that there were now identified "problems" with the SB-5, but couldn't access any of the Top Secret psych publications referenced at that time. I got the impression though that something might come out to the general public in the future.

The truth of course is that NONE of these tests are working past that 3rd standard deviation, and that's particularly hard to measure in the pre-school years.

I was re-reading some of the posts from the past week (since I realized I was skim-reading and not really getting some of the more subtle conversation) and I am curious if you have anymore info on this topic. My son was tested on this test and according to the tester it was the highest score she had seen on this test in the 4-6 year old age group. Are they thinking this test is scoring too high? Weird since the GT norming group seemed to have lower scores.

Please keep us posted if you lurk some juicy info.

Last edited by crisc; 03/31/08 06:06 PM.

Crisc
    A
    A
    I hope I am recalling this correctly...I believe I am, as it applies to my son, and it also applies to our tester's son.

Our tester for the SB5 called several weeks after she gave us the final report and stated that she had looked in to why the knowledge scores were low, comparitively, for some children who otherwise had consistently high scores. She stated that she read that children, particularly boys, who score very high (150ish and above) in the major subtests were scoring lower in knowledge. Just an interesting tidbit at the time.

Both of our sons scored approximately the same overall, and both had much lower scores in the knowledge subtest.

Not sure if this is one of the issues you are referring to, but thought I'd throw it out there.

B
    B
    strange - the same thing happened to my son - he scored very, very high in many areas and then scored much lower in the knowledge areas.

Well, if it's anything like the WPPSI, it could be that HG+ kids are misinterpreting the questions. My DS answered "I don't know" to a question about what a certain food item is made from. The tester didn't encourage him to explain, but after the test I asked him about it. He said that she hadn't specified which variety of this item she was asking about and anyway he couldn't remember all the ingredients of the different kinds. I'm sure the answer they were looking for was a single main ingredient.

crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, he had all of the scores above average (13-19) except in the knowledge sections. My tester did include a statement that young boys do tend to score lower in the knowledge sections.

Crisc
    My son scored very low in knowledge on the SB5, too. It was an all-around bad test day for him, but the knowledge areas killed his score.

This is an interesting trend...

Kriston
    My son took the V at age 8 and he did very well on knowledge. So perhaps the knowledge subtest is low in younger PG kids for some reason? I'm interested in hearing more, and wondering if it is an age thing, a gender thing, or what.

I wish I had data points from my other children, but they didn't take the SB V.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM