Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Not to hijack the thread, but just wondering if there is a section in the IAS for executive function. With a skip from 5th to 7th, I would imagine all that remembering of papers, assignments, and the ilk could be a major stumbling block for a lot of gs kids, no matter how advanced/high IQ.

DeeDee #129874 05/17/12 11:30 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    The stumbling block at our local elementary was 'well yes he is a good candidate for ordinary schools but our disctrict is so far above ordinary that how can a tool developed for ordinary schools be applied to it?'

"Here, all the children are above average."

:-)

DeeDee

Yup! This is what I anticipate the middle school folks saying--thankfully it isn't their call!

herenow #129875 05/17/12 11:34 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by herenow
    Not to hijack the thread, but just wondering if there is a section in the IAS for executive function. With a skip from 5th to 7th, I would imagine all that remembering of papers, assignments, and the ilk could be a major stumbling block for a lot of gs kids, no matter how advanced/high IQ.

This was the reason it took me so long to come around for asking for the skip--but the IAS actually encourages skipping 6th as opposed to 5th, because in 5th they are getting the preparation for that stuff (here they change classes and have 4 different teachers in 5th). Thankfully she seems to take after her (German, detail oriented) father in regards to EF--I think it will be challenging, but I also think she is capable of doing it. FWIW I also think her Montessori school did a good job of preparing her to be responsible for her learning, keep track, organize, goal set, etc.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Well, it looks like it will all be fine--just spoke to asst. principal and he seemed to feel very confident that she would be a good candidate for a skip. At field day today I chatted with her classroom/math teacher and even though we didn't specifically talk about the skip it seems like she would be extremely supportive of it based on her comments. Her oldest dd also went to my alma mater, and she said my dd reminds her a lot of her youngest. She seems to get my dd and also spoke very highly of the high school and even though there are some negative stereotypes (hypercompetitive, driven, spoiled kids) her kids had a great experience there and found their niche and she thinks my dd will do very well there. So, feeling good about the meeting! The level of math might be the stumbling block but other than that we should be in good shape!

Originally Posted by deacongirl
    So, feeling good about the meeting!
    That's music to my ears (eyes? eyeball? earballs?)
    Well music anyway!

What's with Math? Do you wanna brainstorm some ways to spend some summer time catching up in Math?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #129918 05/17/12 07:56 PM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    So, feeling good about the meeting!
    That's music to my ears (eyes? eyeball? earballs?)
    Well music anyway!

What's with Math? Do you wanna brainstorm some ways to spend some summer time catching up in Math?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Thanks Grinity!
    Well, I managed to get a look at the IAS, and I came up with 68 points (conservatively) and I think 60-80=excellent candidate for a skip.

I am going to start a new thread about the math issue. I am concerned that they might not want to put her in 7th grade honors math, but regular 7th grade math, which I think would move too slow for her. But, she probably needs to do something over the summer so I will start a thread specific to math.

I appreciate the encouragement!

[quote=herenow]Thankfully she seems to take after her (German, detail oriented) father in regards to EF--I think it will be challenging, but I also think she is capable of doing it. FWIW I also think her Montessori school did a good job of preparing her to be responsible for her learning, keep track, organize, goal set, etc.

That's good. My dd also attended Montessori before her skip and the EF "training" she had there was valuable.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM