Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    G
    The manual is pretty much just a few examples, going through each question with the points. Along with the manual comes blank forms. You could make use of either. I'd probably ask for the manual if I were you -- that is what gives you the sense of how to use it and how it's used. Both are pretty self-explanitory.

IIRC, IQ + Achievement is a minimum of half the points necessary for an OK candidate for a skip. For the rest of what you've described, you easily are in the category of OK candidatem and quite possibly to the level of "excellent" candidate.

Ask for the manual. The manual has filled out sample forms in it, so looking through the manual will let you see the forms as well.
    -S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    I decided to chill out about asking for the manual. I need to not appear like the totally high-maintenance mom with dd5 getting ready to enter kindy at the same school. And, it seems pretty clear that the results should indicate a skip. We shall see! Thanks for the feedback!

D
    OP Offline
    D
    So I lied about chilling out! The mtg. is scheduled for the 24th, and I asked for a copy of the IAS (or the worksheet) and the results of the 7th grade tests--this was the response:
    "I spoke with (gifted district coordinator) about your requests. The meeting on the 24th is designed to review everything you're requesting. You will receive a copy of all test data as well as the IAS at the meeting. You will be able to walk away with everything. The IAS form is not complete and will not be completed until the testing is done. I believe Ms. xxx pulled xxx for the remainder of testing today."

So, I don't think it really matters, because I am sure that when they add up the points she will be a good candidate for a skip. The only thing that concerns me is math. I just don't like surprises! But I think I will let it slide and try to just wait patiently until next week.

D
    D
    That's typical here too. It's very rare I can get any paperwork before the meeting. They'll probably read it aloud to you at the meeting...

I got my IAS copy (the manual) via ILL. Only wish I still had it for you.

DeeDee

C
    C
    That's kind of annoying though- the IAS is intended to be completed as a team, including the parents. It sounds as though they are doing it without you and intend to hand you a completed form.

CAMom #129837 05/16/12 07:34 PM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    That's kind of annoying though- the IAS is intended to be completed as a team, including the parents. It sounds as though they are doing it without you and intend to hand you a completed form.
    yeah--but, if there is something I disagree with, I am not shy! She just got a very high score with positive comments on her gifted project. I am thinking the 5th grade classroom teacher and elementary gifted teacher will be supportive. I suspect the middle school guidance counselor and 7th grade teacher will be there to tell me that it will be too hard for her and that the 6th grade will be challenging enough. I am interested to see what the numbers show.

It sounds to me like they are attempting to do it as a team. Honestly most of the parents that schools deal with would find the manual intimidating so they are probably trying to be kind in a patronizing way.

What I got from reading the manual was finally understanding the difference between IQ tests, achievement tests and above level achievement test which they classified as aptitude tests. If you have that straight I think you'll do fine with the rest.

The stumbling block at our local elementary was 'well yes he is a good candidate for ordinary schools but our disctrict is so far above ordinary that how can a tool developed for ordinary schools be applied to it?' OTOH now that I see where the ADHD was a factor I understand better their trepidation. Not that I agree but I understand.

Love and more love
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #129851 05/17/12 04:21 AM
    G
    G
    Our school pre-filled out the points for the IQ and achievement section. The total points were presented to me without explanation, and the page describing how to assign the points were not presented to me. We did the rest together.

Because they came out with 6 more points than I would have given DS, I didn't comment. I felt there was a 2 point wiggle room on that section, so I was prepared to discuss it had it come out in the lower of the two options.

In the end, it became clear that the school felt like they needed to talk me into the skip and out of the massive subject acceleration. wink

Last edited by geofizz; 05/17/12 04:22 AM.
    Grinity #129853 05/17/12 05:25 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    The stumbling block at our local elementary was 'well yes he is a good candidate for ordinary schools but our disctrict is so far above ordinary that how can a tool developed for ordinary schools be applied to it?'

"Here, all the children are above average."

:-)

DeeDee

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students