Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #128065 04/24/12 07:05 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Hi all,
    Re: dd skipping 6th grade
    So I just really can't spend $50 on IAS now, the library doesn't have it, but was wondering if anyone can tell me what the categories are? Just so I can have an idea before sitting down with school officials. Dd has the IQ and achievement, (unless she blows the schools 7th grade testing or the CRCTs which I doubt). She is very big for her age (95th%), November birthday, she is mature, she wants to do the skip. They did give her some kind of creativity and motivation assessment previously that I don't think she did fabulous on--but a conversation with her would clearly show she is motivated. Is there anything that could raise an objection with the school that I am missing?

There's a nice summary of the IAS here: IAS Book review

Here's an excerpt:
    "The sections include general information, critical items, school history, prior ability and achievement test results, prior professional evaluations, academic ability and achievement, school and academic factors, developmental factors, interpersonal skills, attitude and support, and a summary and planning sheet."

Sometimes people here have spare forms. We did not actually get the manual either, but lucked out and got a form from someone on this site who had extras to sell. Does your DD have siblings in the grade she's going into? I do believe the IAS considers that as a deal breaker.

ETA: You could also post on Hoagies Gifted FB page, asking if anyone has extra forms. That page is pretty active.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 04/24/12 07:24 AM.
    U
    U
    The school may be willing to buy IAS if they don't have it already.

Yes, $50 is steep for a book. On the other hand, $50 is a bargain if it helps you get the right placement for your dd. I'm sure you could sell it after and recoup some of the cost.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Ultralight Hiker
    The school may be willing to buy IAS if they don't have it already.

Yes, $50 is steep for a book. On the other hand, $50 is a bargain if it helps you get the right placement for your dd. I'm sure you could sell it after and recoup some of the cost.

The school has it, and uses it. I just want my own form before I see how they add it all up!

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. Can you simply ask the school if you can just come in and look at it for a bit before your meeting? It's supposed to be a team effort, I think, including the parents, if I remember correctly.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. Can you simply ask the school if you can just come in and look at it for a bit before your meeting? It's supposed to be a team effort, I think, including the parents, if I remember correctly.

I know. I guess the middle school principal made me feel like it was adversarial. Like I am a spy secretly gathering info. haha I am a dork. I will ask them. That is a logical approach!

The IAS pretty much requires that one or both parents be on the committee, so I would think you would be perfectly justified in asking to preview the manual before the meeting.
    -S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    That is a logical approach!
    But really, try not to worry. It's weighted in such a way that a willing kid with high IQ scores and no sibling in the receiving grade can be an excellent candidate or a good candidate.

It actually pretty funny when you see it (but don't laugh) as in - IQ in top 1% is worth 500 points
    - able to hold her own in gym class - half a point.
    - tall for age - half a point.

It's as if someone took all the familiar myths and gave them a half point so that the schoolies could say that the considered all the social-emotional questions.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    That is pretty funny--she may lose a 1/2 pt. for the gym question, but I don't think that will improve with age~

So what EXACTLY do I say I want to look at? The manual? What is the form where you add up the points called? just want to look I have my act together!

Thanks everyone.

If my giggle allows you to leave it be - comfortably - then leave it be. If not, ask them for the manual. But really - they want to be the big shots, and the Scale is so good, why not let them?

Trust your gut,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM