Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    For those of you who have never heard of BASIS Schools here is the link...

https://www.basisdc.org/

They are a national charter school that was created to "close the achievement gap" between US students and the international community. They tout an accelerated curriculum. They currently are operating successfully in parts of Arizona and maybe elsewhere. They are opening a school in Washington, DC.

Does anyone have any experience with BASIS? The idea of it has me excited.

Thanks

Val Offline
    I have no experience with this school, but I'm reasonably familiar with closing the achievement gap from work that I've done assessing research applications in education.

"Achievement gap" refers to the differences in achievement between kids of different socioeconomic groups, races/ethnicities, or genders.

In theory, closing it is a great idea, but in practice, it can mean ignoring kids who are doing well while focusing on kids who aren't. I've had debates with educators who think this is a perfectly reasonable idea. Their opinion has been that the kids who score "proficient" are doing fine already. That they could learn more doesn't seem to be important to the people I've spoken with.

Some evidence for this attitude on a wide scale is 1. resistance to acceleration; 2. statements that gifted kids are "elitist" or "bragging about their accomplishments;" 3. NCLB, which has serious penalties for low test scores and no incentives whatsoever for moving bright kids at a faster rate.

If you're thinking about the school, I'd recommend preparing a list of specific questions about their program and how it could serve your child. Then call them and make sure you pin them down. Give specific examples of what your child can do and see how they react.

Skepticism isn't a good sign. Vague answers to questions aren't a good sign. "Our teachers do a great job of differentiation" isn't a good sign. If they tell you that everyone evens out by third grade, seriously consider saying, "Thank you for your time," and walking away.

Beware of the PR and make sure you get details. Schools always push PR hard, and there's a danger that they won't live up to it.

Last edited by Val; 04/23/12 03:44 PM.
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Your reply sounds like the attitude of my son's current teacher and current school! This school, BASIS, is trying to close the achievement gap between US top performers and international top performers. They tout an extremely accelerated curriculum. For example, they offer Algebra in 5th grade for students who are ready. The school is no doubt rigorous, I just haven't found out how they do with problem solving and creative thinking.

I just found an information session in my neighborhood and I plan to attend. The school doesn't start until 5th grade so I have a year to figure out what the school is all about.

Thanks, I'll post after I attend the information session.
    Tricia

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM