Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I was wondering if anyone has experience with a private chess coach/tutor for their child. DS took a group class and his teacher suggested private coaching.

D
    D
    We pay the local union rate for music lessons and it seems to me like that would be a fair translation to a chess coach as it is real skill they are sharing. I am sure that calling a few coaches will yield the local norm. I'd expect to pay more for things in a metropolitan area, etc.

M
    MES Offline
    M
    Chess instruction rates can vary. Working with a top teaching GM can cost $75-$85/hour for a one on one lesson. Do you live in an area with many chess teachers. My DYS now works with a GM. Earlier in his chess learning, he worked with a chess Expert (an actual title in chess) who charged $20/hour. Someone told me once that you should work with someone at a minimum 300 rating points higher than you.

M
    M
    My son has been going to a private chess tutor for about 3 years. We live in the Boston area, and the rates here vary from $40-$75 per hour.

For your first chess coach, the most important thing is to find someone who has a history of success with teaching children, not the one who has the highest chess rating. I recommend staying away from GMs as the first coach, unless they are absolutely excellent with children.

Instead, meet the coaches whose students have won the state championship and have done well nationally. And among those find select one that you think is the best match for your child, and of course, one you can afford. You want someone who makes chess fun but can also facilitate learning. I recommend at least 500 rating points difference between the student and the coach. Your child's first coach should be rated about 1800 minimum. If your coach is too far below that, they will likely teach your child some incorrect methods that need to be corrected later.

For son's first coach was an Expert, meaning that has an official chess rating above 2000. After my son approached that rating, we switched to someone higher. If you would like more information, send me a PM.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I don't know that I am correct but I have the feeling that the chess coach would be more pricey than the typical music teacher perhaps due to rarity or supply/demand issues.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    It's nice that there are titles to go with the different skill levels, which will make it easier to compare.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks. That was very informative. I might pm you later (after DS tries out the chess camp) when I can gauge better his level of interest/commitment. His chess teacher, who is not at the very top but who I think has a GM title, did mention that the expectation/common practice is for the kids to practice at least 1-2 hours a day.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM