Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 206 of 268 1 2 204 205 206 207 208 267 268
    L
    L
    Congratulation, HK!
    Great going, aquinas!
    Doubtfulguest, the drawing of the chair is unbelievable. I learnt perspective drawing when I was in my teens and still can't get it right. I was floored by her visualization! Amazing!

Congrats to your daughter and to your methods HK! That will give the admissions folks something to put into their collective pipes and smoke now, won't it?

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/11/13 05:30 AM.

Become what you are
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    DD14 just got her ACT results-- she got a composite 34!!!

She got two perfect 36's-- in reading and English, and a 34 in the Science section.

I am relieved that even though she had writing at the end of the test (and note that we strongly suspect a CTD that makes her hands fatigue badly-- and makes writing longhand VERY difficult)--

She 99'ed everything but math (high 90's), and the writing section (98th percentile combined writing/English) which probably doesn't show her actual ability-- her SAT writing test (where the written essay comes FIRST) showed a better essay score.

She did it!! Yippeeeeeeee!! cool

(I'm really really elated that now she's probably done with standardized testing, which is way, way, way stressful with a 2e kid. It also means that she achieved her goal of NOT superscoring anything. She's going au natural. Three-for-three, kiddo! Good for her. )

smile

WOWEE!!!! Congratulations to your dd!

K
    K
    Wow! 23 months and reading a Greek name? Look out, aquinas!

D
    D
    woah i'm so behind on these. aquinas - holy that is amazing. i love reading about everyone's early readers - it's so cool seeing the way language clicks for them.

and HK - hurray! that must be such a major relief. hope you guys are doing a toast to the end of the standardized tests. i know they're useful, but good riddance! (ours will unfortunately begin in the spring - hold my hand, ok?)

and Lovemydd - that's kind of you to say! DD5 actually did a Suez canal drawing yesterday that includes a pretty good vanishing point - which i ALSO did not teach her - she just kind of worked it out (?!) - so today i'm going to show her how to do that for real. i should really start that art thread - i really, really want to see all the other drawings out there!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    woah i'm so behind on these. aquinas - holy that is amazing. i love reading about everyone's early readers - it's so cool seeing the way language clicks for them.

and HK - hurray! that must be such a major relief. hope you guys are doing a toast to the end of the standardized tests. i know they're useful, but good riddance! (ours will unfortunately begin in the spring - hold my hand, ok?)

and Lovemydd - that's kind of you to say! DD5 actually did a Suez canal drawing yesterday that includes a pretty good vanishing point - which i ALSO did not teach her - she just kind of worked it out (?!) - so today i'm going to show her how to do that for real. i should really start that art thread - i really, really want to see all the other drawings out there!

Doubtful guest, is there a file where we can see your dd's drawing?

D
    D
    sure thing, KADmom! this is the rabbit on the chair... she invented the 3D herself based on a cube.

[Linked Image from s15.postimg.org]

and since i'm semi-motivated... here's the Suez canal from yesterday! when i get a minute i'll start the art gallery thread for sure...
    [Linked Image from s23.postimg.org]

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    sure thing, KADmom! this is the rabbit on the chair... she invented the 3D herself based on a cube.

[Linked Image from s15.postimg.org]

and since i'm semi-motivated... here's the Suez canal from yesterday! when i get a minute i'll start the art gallery thread for sure...
    [Linked Image from s23.postimg.org]

These are awesome!!! You have quite an artist there.

D
    D
    ha - i really think it's just the math talking... but i guess in the end that's the foundation of most post-renaissance art!

N
    N
    doubtfulguest, have you seen the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"? Your DD is already so awesome at her art, I'll bet she'd get right into that method! It's about (at least at the start, I've never been through it to the finish) drawing the negative space -- like the shape of the air in between the slats of the chair, for instance, which of course yields a picture of the chair in the positive space. I am abysmal at art, and I've always enjoyed trying things the way it shows in that book.

Page 206 of 268 1 2 204 205 206 207 208 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM