Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by newtothis
    I am loving all of these stories! What a great group this continues to be!

It's bad that so many are struggling with the same questions (because I know how incredibly stressful they are to consider!) but it's so refreshing to know we aren't alone - and it's nice not to feel totally alone in the journey!

Can I just say AMEN?!! I am so grateful to this group - knowing there are others with the same kind of child as mine has been a huge, huge help to me and my husband.

Especially after today...

I was at a Mothers of Preschoolers meeting, sitting around a table of 8 or so women, when the inevitable discussion began. "So, where's DS going to kindergarten next year?" I briefly responded, "Well, after much consideration, we've decided to homeschool." Several people, said, "Cool!" or, "You're braver than I am!" or other polite comments.

However, one of DS5's teachers at our church was in the group, and began discussing/asking questions about him, specifically. "How did you teach him to read so well?!!" I responded, "We just did what most parents do, but it seemed to happen spontaneously. We really can't explain." That led into more and more questions about his specific abilities.

While I tried to answer respectfully, I focused on keeping my answers vague and brief. The discussion turned toward how the local schools will not be able to serve his specific needs, and why we ultimately are choosing to homeschool.

A former elementary teacher sitting next to me, who has supervised education students at the local university, also with a child about the same age as mine :), immediately became hostile and defensive. "Actually, it's the kids in the MIDDLE who are overlooked in the schools. Teachers are REQUIRED to focus on special ed kids and gifted kids. It's the LAW." She then began some rather hostile questioning of what schools we had tried, which schools we had talked to that would not allow acceleration, etc. etc. VERY defensive in general regarding how she was "required" to pay attention to gifted kids or she would be "in trouble legally." Almost as if to say, "How could you dare question that I'm not capable of teaching your child?!"

YIKES. I was SO uncomfortable...wanting to avoid the conversation all together, but couldn't really do it in the setting I was in.

What a relief to have this forum, with such beautiful open minds and intolerance for such hostility. smile

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Ugh. It's so hard to figure out how to negotiate through that kind of discussion. I can just imagine a couple of my friends launching off that way too. So sorry you had to listen to it today.

Oh boy. I had one of those moments recently and made a spontaneous utterance...you all be the judges.

Some of you may recall that my son's K teacher told me that "silent E can be damaging at this age" when I asked if she could help him with his reading. This was her explanation for why he has to do B is for Boy with everyone else.

Our kids will go to a small ability-grouped school next year. I was talking to the *other* K teacher at a conference and she said it was too bad we won't be returning the school next year. Without thinking, I mentioned the other teacher's remark. She rolled her eyes and then I just blurted out that the Silent E stuff was a load of sh*t and it was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as our decision was concerned.

Ahem.

Well, it felt good, and she's pretty cool!

Val

Last edited by Val; 04/09/08 04:53 PM.
    Originally Posted by alee31
    A former elementary teacher sitting next to me...immediately became hostile and defensive. "Actually, it's the kids in the MIDDLE who are overlooked in the schools. Teachers are REQUIRED to focus on special ed kids and gifted kids. It's the LAW." She then began some rather hostile questioning of what schools we had tried, which schools we had talked to that would not allow acceleration, etc. etc. VERY defensive in general regarding how she was "required" to pay attention to gifted kids or she would be "in trouble legally." Almost as if to say, "How could you dare question that I'm not capable of teaching your child?!"

YIKES. I was SO uncomfortable...wanting to avoid the conversation all together, but couldn't really do it in the setting I was in.

I'm sorry. I had the same experience with a friend who is a former teacher. I have come to the conclusion that she took our family's decision very personally. Happily, most people don't.

My "friend" went so far as to say that there's nothing wrong with a child being bored for 2 years. My conclusion is that people tend to say dumb things when they don't know what they're talking about. (I'm guilty of it, too, I know!) I can't imagine my friend really believes that 2 years of learning zilch is okay. But even if she really does, it's because she has no concept of GTness. It's just foreign to her.

How that teacher you spoke with came up with her questionable legal understanding, I don't know, but she clearly just doesn't get it.

Oh, and one of the big reasons we pulled DS6 out of 1st grade was because his 1st grade teacher didn't just imply, she flat out stated that she felt I lacked confidence in her teaching ability, though I had been playing "team" to the best of my ability. That teacher probably sounded to you like she meant that because she DID mean that! I do sympathize, because it must be challenging to have someone questioning--even gently!--how you're doing your job. But while it's their job, they're our kids! Teachers who don't get that worry me.

Hang in there. I'm sorry it was a rough day for you! frown

Kriston
    WHAT!!!!!! She is REQUIRED to pay special attention to the gifted kids or I could sue her !!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you live, I'm Moving!!!!!!

Illinois legislature built 5 million dollars into the budget specifically for gifted education. THEN, they just arbitrarily yanked it!

Illinois stinks!

Must be all those smelly slaughterhouses. It's hard to live in the hog butchering capital of the world!

<evil grin>

Kriston
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I personally hate the "middle" argument, because school as-is is designed for them!

Tell me about it! I thought this was universal knowledge, especially for educators!

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. I feel hugged. smile

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM