Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 145 of 268 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 267 268
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by JamD
    "that was SO hard. I don't know why I can't stop grinning!" :-)
    What a fantastic response!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    S
    smile just a funny-
    4 yo Nick's favorite show is the local High School Quiz show. smile He sits and tries to call out answers...he usually only gets the music ones right, but sooo funny wink

DS2 (5 mos) learned to pull up today. Yesterday I'd have said he had no interest. He also said "mama" really clearly a bunch of times today in what seemed to be a meaningful way (A near stranger and a babysitter picked it out before I did). We shall see if any of it sticks, but quite the day when it was happening.

This is all particularly funny to me because his older brother pulled up at 2 mos (cruising as his main locomotion from 4mos on), and didn't say anything resembling "mama" until he was almost 2. "Elevator" "backhoe loader," and "usually" took serious precedence (grumble).

DS1 (3y) also gets a brag: He was counting a lot today, but always looping from 11 to 8 (11 rhymes with 7, eh?), so I counted out to 20 making little tic marks in groups(we were colouring at the time). And I'm not sure exactly how we ended up there, but he was asking me to show him additions and multiplications on little arrays of circles. Just like me, gotta learn to multiply before you can learn to count! Counting don't make no sence w'out it. Lil Suck. wink Oh! DS2 got two brags, so DS1 gets two, too... After reading a book on evolution DS1 and I planted potatoes, and between those and a comment I made about avocados, he dragged me into a pretty fine-grained explanation of the process of domestication. I was about to say "what 3 yr old knows about ratchets on wheat," but then I thought of one who probably does. Oh well. Still wink

I love my kids. They're gonna make me so proud screwing with people's minds wink

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    DS8, doing an ALEKS topic on equations involving logarithms, gets a "Your answer is incorrect", which it is, because his calculation has given him a spurious solution (one that would have made the original equation involve the logarithm of a negative number), and he has entered it without noticing.

Me, perhaps slightly patronisingly: Remember, you can't take the logarithm of a negative number.

DS8, more patronisingly: Well, you can in fact, it's just that the answer is complex.

He has met Euler's identity, but we're confident that nobody, and no book, has ever talked to him about anything closer to this statement than that.

How's that for a wibble-brag?!

Off to google what your kid actually did.  I had just used reading context clues to assume he made a math problem that needed negative numbers which mixed up two lessons in a way they hadn't taught yet.  

Ah, the base of an exponent.  
    Your kids got a great number sense!

Mr google tells me that's part of number theory which AOPS says is appropriate for 6-9th grade if they've already finished Algebra 1.  Um.. Not a  bad "stumble upon" for an eight year old to deduce.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    K
    Kids-A-Riot.com
    Unregistered
    Kids-A-Riot.com
    Unregistered
    K
    My 5 1/2 year old started creating addition problems for himself; 4 digits up three levels deep.
    for example:
    1563+
    1225+
    7171=
    He also started writing in cursive. Go figure....

W
    W
    This is a bit of a backwards brag, but this is the only place anyone will even understand why I consider it a brag.

Wolf's FINALLY hit a level he has to actually work at in Language Arts. His percentage on EPGY is finally dropping near 95% and one area is down to 75%. Darned esoteric parts of speech! I'm doing the happy dance while he is grumbling about having to look up a definition for the fourth time. Hooray for learning how to deal with frustration with schoolwork BEFORE college!

A
    A
    Awesome, Wyldkat! Yippee for learning how to work hard!

Last edited by aculady; 05/06/12 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    M
    M
    While at the library my 6 year old dd used the computer all by herself to look up the books she wanted. And then when they didn't have what she wanted she went and asked the librarian to put them on hold for her. She has always been very shy but is finally starting to come out of her shell more. Then she went through a whole list of authors that are her favorites to put books on hold. I can never remember people's names so it amazed me how she was able to just rattle off the names just like that. She was so grown up and independent... I was proud, yet mournful at the same time.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Wyldkat
    His percentage on EPGY is finally dropping near 95% and one area is down to 75%. Darned esoteric parts of speech! I'm doing the happy dance while he is grumbling about having to look up a definition for the fourth time. Hooray for learning how to deal with frustration with schoolwork BEFORE college!
    Hooray indeed! Yup, we get it ;-)

MountainMom, hooray for your daughter overcoming shyness and getting what she wanted done, too. I doubt my DS8 could do that now.

La Texican, it's actually much, much worse than that. If even here nobody "got" my brag that's double-wibble, so anyone who did understand what it was that DS realised might drop me a PM just to reassure me ;-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    S
    Tonight my daughter (about 32 months old now) was scribbling on a notepad. I was prepping some dinner for the kids nearby. Conversation ensued something like this:

"Mommy, don't break my papers. Be careful with them."
    "Ok, I will be careful, but I don't think they will break, since they are papers."
    ..works a few minutes more..
    "These are my notes!"
    "What are your notes for?"
    with much gusto "My presentation!"
    Laughing, I said, "Your presentation? What is your presentation on?"
    She did not have an immediate answer but we decided it would be on how to be a good big sister.

I'm in grad school and recently had to put together a project and presentation. I never discussed it with her that I recall, though I may have told her not to touch the printed stack of articles I had or something similar. ?

Last edited by sunday_driver; 05/07/12 06:20 PM.
    Page 145 of 268 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM