Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #127897 04/20/12 02:13 PM
    W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    When Bear was tested for autism spectrum last summer they did some ability testing. He tested in the top 90% for most things but his verbal skills were just barely 60%, specifically word retrieval. It's still over average, but so much lower than his other scores. Could this be a sign of a learning disability? I know it's an ongoing problem for him. He can't bring up the words he needs as fast as his brain runs and he shuts down when he can't come up with them immediately. Then the oppositional stuff starts up.

For example he can talk your ear off about his favorite animals, but if someone comes up and asks him what his favorite animal is he'll shut down or say he doesn't know.

B
    B
    I don't know your background exactly and forget how old Bear is. Did they tell you he's on the spectrum?

I'll be reading other people's responses if they know the answer because this was me as a kid. I would take too long and then often my older sister would answer for me, which was very frustrating because she didn't know what I really wanted. I don't know what oppositional behaviors Bear does (in my day it would be called stubborn or bull-headed) but I was just quiet and surly, which drove the verbally family members even more crazy.

I can tell you one thing that if the child knows people are aware of this about him/her it does make the "reaction time" worse.

Does it match his profile for when he started talking? I was a late talker but when I did talk it was mostly full sentences and I was very clear, where my older sister talked constantly but only my mother could understand her for a long time. Maybe Bear is just thinking alot and wants to get it right?

W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    He is 5, not on the autism spectrum (at the moment at least...), an early, prolific and clear talker.

Oppositional for him tends to be either sulking or screaming NO no matter what the situation.

He is a perfectionist by nature which might have something to do with it.

B
    B
    Oh I'm not sure it's all the same thing. I was far from prolific! I don't think I'm particularly a perfectionist. I think mostly I was just less verbal than the others and it stood out.

Anyway I hope you get some answers that help you with your Bear.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM