Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    ifso215 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I am close to 10 years removed from researching my exceptionalities, but I was hoping I could make a post and someone could point me in the right direction or offer some experienced advice. I would lurk the forums, but I am of the variety that goes into an obsessive learning spiral I would not be able to release from for weeks.

I am a 30 y/o male on the verge of realizing a longtime life dream. I am a business plan away from receiving funding for my own business in a field I excel in and truly love. I am well aware of my multiple exceptionalities, and they unfortunately intersect creating a crippling terror of executing this small task which could decide my future. If anyone has any advice for someone like me after I describe myself, or can point me in the direction of information specific to someone like me, I would be infinitely grateful.

Here is my personal intersection:

Haselbauer-Dickheiser Test for Exceptional Intelligence pegged me around a 161 IQ at age 21, I have never been tested in a controlled environment by a clinical professional, but was always considered very gifted.

Undifferentiated ADD, undiagnosed until age 20. My neurologist said I was the "worst," and simultaneously best masked case he'd seen in his career. Primary issue is inability to regulate attention on the entire spectrum from complete distraction to all-night hyperfocus and obsessive learning. Prescribed stimulants but built up a tolerance over the years... they still stabilize my mood but are unpredictable for regulating my attention.

Borderline Narcolepsy. Fell asleep in 98% of classes from age 13 to 20 before being medicated. Highly irregular sleep patterns, sleep walking, sleep paralysis and the like.

Migraine disorder that is very, very prevalent in 2e individuals. Retinal Migraine Without Headache, aka creeping temporary loss of the visual field without pain. In my personal research years ago I found a statistically significant number of individuals that are multiple exceptionalities suffer from it as well. My unprofessional research leads me to strongly believe it is caused by large, flooding spikes in norepinepherine levels.

Likely Dysgraphia. Crippling terror of formal writing hand in hand with obsessive perfectionism in diction, sentence structure, etc. when unmedicated.

Inability to commit formulaic structures to memory. Bibliography formatting rules, algebraic and geometric formulas, rules to card games, jokes, recipes, etc. Ironically, I've won major awards as a bartender for my improvised creative recipes which spontaneously arose out of my inability to remember more than a few dozen popular recipes. I can't remember what goes in that "Jolly Rancher" shooter, but I can "paint" any flavor you might find in bag of that candy to a T with what I have at my disposal if that example makes any sense.

I am not sure the research and studies have been done since I last seriously investigated, but I know in my gut that these exceptionalities are highly interrelated, I have since I was led down the norepinepherine spike road with the migraine disorder.

Does anyone have experience with a similar intersection? Any encouraging info or advice would help me get on track with tackling this looming task, and knowing there might be new information out there that I could peruse when the task is done would be a huge, huge motivator. Thank you so much in advance to anyone who might be able help.

D
    D
    I also had the narcolepsy issue in classes--so frustrating esp. when it was actually an interesting class with a professor I liked--I always felt terrible about it.

I read this today--maybe it will be helpful...
    http://www.drgore.com/invitation/index.php

http://www.drgore.com/misery/index.php

(can you tell I like that guy's site?)
    I don't know--sometimes I think we can make things much more complicated than they need to be. Just do the next right thing.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM