Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi
    My ds12 is to be place in Honors Algebra 2 next fall. Our school wants him to take an online Geometry class over the summer to meet the state graduation requirements. He has done Python classes on CTD gifted learning links before but never on CTY. Anyone have experience with the Math classes from either place? He has about 10 weeks to complete the course and the individual pace option matters for him. If so what did you like and what didn't you like about them?

Thanks in advance for any input!

M
    M
    DS 10 took a math Cryptography class (self paced) through CTY last summer. It took him the 3 months (minus about 2 weeks of vacation) to complete it, working about 1 hour a day. So if he had worked 2 hours a day, he probably could have done it in 10 weeks. It was self-paced but I know some of their classes are not self-paced, so you will want to be sure of that. The professor checked in with DS, but his help was never needed - although I am sure he would have been easy to reach if needed. It's pricey, but we felt it was a good class and the school seems to take it more seriously than other online programs that we have done. DS has done Thinkwell (which is used by CTY and may be used in the Geometry class) but the CTY name seems to mean more, kwim? DS will likely do the same as your son - take Algebra 1 this year during the school year and then Geometry through CTY over the summer so that he can take Algebra 2 the fall of his 7th grade year.

Last edited by Melisa; 04/18/12 06:10 AM.
    Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the input! I heard they don't use Thinkwell for the Honors Geometry but it would not matter. It's needs to be an accredited class from CTY or CTD. They need transcripts for graduation requirements. They probably would just let him take the placement test and move on, but they can't with this class. It is a self paced class at CTY and they said 3-5 hours a week to finish in 6 months. He is looking at 6-10 hours a week for 3 months. We will have a little more time because I'm going to start him before summer break. He usually ends up on the low end of the time frames they give. Last year his CTD class said 4 - 6 hours a week and he was around 2 hours a week. I have a retired Geometry teacher that is going to check in with him once a week to go over anything he needs more instruction on. He probably doesn't need it but it makes me feel better to know he has a human at a table with him occasionally:) Our school requires the PSEOP paper work to be filled out before starting the class or they will not count it. I think we are going with CTY seems more flexible in the self paced class. It is pricey but its worth it to him to move on next year. I agree the they seem to get more legitimacy than other online classes.

Thanks again for the input:)

W
    W
    DD does CTY and is usually limited in time, about 20 minutes a week and finishes a grade in 5-6 months. But with postponements and holidays, a 9 month period goes 12 months. And then does the second grade with the rest of the time.

Ren

S
    S
    Don't forget about Khan academy for concepts he needs more explanation for.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    D
    D
    We have not tried CTD or CTY, but have been doing EPGY for a little while. It was recommended to us by someone at Duke TiP the reason being that apparently Stanford provides some kind of 'transcript' that might be more likely to be accepted for credit by a school. Of course, if your school has told you just to take geometry, I guess this is not an issue for you.

We've been happy with EPGY so far (MOWD, honors pre-algebra); it varies the subject matter presented enough so DD doesn't get bored and then circles back around for some repetition--not too much repetition, so far. With EPGY it seems you pay a fee (~$530) for a 3-month period and if you finish the course early you can start a new one for a minimal ~$30 or so registration fee; if you don't finish, you pay the fee for the next 'quarter' and continue. I'm not sure how this compares to CTY fees but EPGY sounds more expensive if you take more than 3 months per course, which we are definitely going to do since we're doing about an hour and a half most weeks.

I'd be interested to hear more specifics about the logistics of courses and fees for CTD and CTY if anyone knows more; I found it a little hard to figure out from looking at the different web sites how they would actually compare.

Jtooit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    CTY & CTD will also provide transcripts and both are accredited institutions. Our school specifically asked for him to take Honors Geometry at CTY or CTD. Their prior experience with students has been good with CTY and CTD. They will grant the credit for the class and it will be on his HS transcript. It applies at least to the Honors & AP HS classes. I do know most schools only accept these transcripts from outside accredited schools with prior approval to take the class.

I know the enrichment classes may not provide transcripts. DS took one from CTD last year and got a written report from the instructor at the end of the class.

As far as cost, I'm no expert. The cost of CTD and CTY appear to more the EPGY. I'm not familiar with EPGY.

I did contact CTY and was told he could finish the class as fast as he wants too do so. CTD seemed a little more sketchy on the speed. I was concerned if they intend for it to be a 6 or 9 month period then instructors may or may not respond quickly for him. We went with CTY for the Honors Geometry.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM