Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 248 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    <whispering, as the whispers echo off the empty forum walls>
    Where is everyone? So quiet...
    <"quiet...quiet...quiet...">

Anyway, since it's been so dead around here, I thought I'd post some off-topic good news here (in the resources forum, since it's about a book):

I finally finished the doggone funeral scene that has been holding up progress on revisions of my novel!

Yay!

It was a pain of a scene to write, but it's behind me now and I can keep moving. <sigh of relief>

With a little luck and a good tailwind, I may be able to get a draft of the book into the hands of my friends/volunteer readers by this summer. While they read, I'll be working up some letters to send to agents. If things go really well, maybe by fall I can be shopping the book around.

Oh, wouldn't that just be glorious!!! smile

Thanks for letting me share.

Kriston
    Ann Offline
    Yippee - Kriston - Congratulations!!! I'm so proud of you.

Shopping your book around this fall would indeed be glorious! cool

This calls for champagne and chocolate. grin

Last edited by Ann; 03/31/08 08:24 AM. Reason: amazed at Kriston's ability to put words on paper and let go
    Great news Kriston! You are over the bump and can keep moving on.

I hope you find a publisher for your book. Fingers crossed.

A friend of mine and I want to translate a book. So far it looks quite promising. I hope the deal comes through and my brain will have something to keep it busy.

LMom
    That's great news!! I hope that finding a publisher for your book is an easy process.

A few years ago a friend of mine wrote a fiction novel and I was the first to read the draft. Unfortunately he still hasn't found an agent/publisher for it. I never realized how hard it was to publish a book.

Crisc
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, friends!

Though to avoid taking credit I don't deserve ( wink ), I'll mention that I haven't let go yet, Ann...No one but my DH has read even a word of the thing, and he loves me no matter what, so it's not a real stretch to share with him. laugh But I no longer get shaky at the thought of someone criticizing it, as I did when I was near the start of the project. I think that means my "baby" is just about ready to be sent into the cold, cruel world. LOL!

I should also say that I am trying very, very hard not to be a perfectionist with this project. I keep saying that this is not a work of art, just another book. Perfection is neither necessary nor desirable, really. It's a way to keep me sane, use my skills, and hopefully make some money.

Yes, LMom, a publisher would be FAB-U-LOUS!!! So what are you and your friend planning to translate, if you don't mind my asking? Sounds interesting.

Last edited by Kriston; 03/31/08 10:35 AM. Reason: Got interrupted and forgot to finish a sentence. That does not bode well for the book, I realize...

Kriston
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We cross-posted, crisc.

Yes, finding a publisher is harder than writing the book, believe it or not. (I have trouble believing it, though I know it's true!) That's why I'm not getting too hung up on that at this point.

Given some of the schlock that gets published, I'm hopeful that my schlock will make it, too. But if I can finish the darn thing, that will be a victory in itself. One massive hurdle at a time... wink

Kriston
    Yippee Kriston! Glad you got past the big scene that was giving you so much trouble.

Here's hoping you get it all finished and find a publisher soon!!!! smile

K
    K
    Congratulations! Send us all a draft, would you? wink

Sorry I've been off board so much. We are on spring break this week and last week was an all volunteer week at the kid's schools at my house.

And whoever suggested the game Civilizations is also to blame. DS7 got it for easter (Civ 4 & Warlords). Now I'm addicted! crazy DS LOVES it, but he's still limited to his 20 minutes a day.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh, that's my fault, kimck! Sorry!

I'm addicted, too, so you can't really blame me for getting you hooked. I'm helpless in the face of my illness! wink

Only 20 minutes a day to play seems almost cruel. I get lost in the game for hours, which is why I'm not playing AT ALL right now! If I want to get work done, I can't. I can't have even just a little taste of Civ4, or I'm lost!

BTW, the "Beyond the Sword" expansion pack is even better than the "Warlords" one. But maybe that's info I should keep to myself... grin

As for the book, I would happily send bits of it to my e-friends, if you'd be willing to give me feedback on it. But I'd have to know who you are IRL so I could sue the pants off you if you published my work! (LOL, but only half-kidding...)

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Now...speaking of resources, who's writing the "GT for Dummies" book?
    Isn't that going to be a collaboration between you and Grinity???? Let us know when it is finished and we'll all run out and get a copy!!! grin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM