Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS8 is in 3rd grade and is demonstrating typical writing deficits related to ADHD. Can anyone recommend a good writing program to use at home? I'm looking for something that addresses the executive function skills needed for the writing process, not handwriting. I have gathered a hodge-podge of ideas and tried to pull them together, but I'd love to find a comprehensive systematic program that has already been created and organized. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

I'm guessing writing is not something he's particularly excited about/interested in? I'm not aware of any specific writing problem associated with ADHD. Both my husband and son are ADHD and neither have any particular problem with writing...

I would focus on making sure he's learned the basics - summarizing, identifying key events, outlining, etc. Also, I would see if he works better with a distraction, or not. For some odd reason, my husband actually focuses better with a tv on in the background.

~amy
    I like 6+1 writing traits...it comes as a book that is a very fun read -

6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide, Grades 3 and Up by Ruth Culham (2003)

I think it's good for Gifted kids with ADHD because it's very conceptual. You can teach it by analysing other people's writing and that makes the child more aware of what the writers are doing and how they do it.

Learning to type is a great bost to ADHD kids with slow processing because if the brain is moving fast and the fingers are moving slow that can be frustrating. Also good for our perfectionist kids because nothing is ever ruined - everything is editable.

Getting an audience is a key to developing writing. Is there a forum devoted to a favorite activity that you can let him participate in?

Teaching grammer as a seperate topic is a good idea.
    http://www.criticalthinking.com/series/097/index_c.jsp

Critical thinking might have some other series that are appealing.

I also like teaching specifics about genre...a lot of unwritten rules about when animals are allowed to talk and when they aren't.
    If you watch TV, he can discuss the unwritten rules about various genre's of TV shows, and you can ask him if there is an analogy in the world of written media.

Another famous way to teach writing is to read something and then ask him to write a 'part 2' or an alternate way of looking at the story, perhaps from a different character's perspective, or perhaps in another Genre...there is a funny Youtube that tells the story of the 3 bears as if written by Shakespeare.

(but I can't find it right now)

Anyway, having a real life goal makes wanting to write much easier. Is there a local organization that needs help with it's website?

Good luck!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Now I'm just stumbling blindly around the Internet -

http://www.home-school-curriculum-advisor.com/home-school-writing-curriculum.html

((shrugs))

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8468723_write-fivesentence-paragraph-elementary-school.html

Here's where it starts. Let me know if you're past that or more speciffically what you want to work on.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    M
    M
    Hi guys: I just registered for this site so I could tell you about this. This comes so highly recommended from my local gifted homeschooling group (for my dyslexic son) that I'm sending him to the summer school! http://www.creative-writing-solutions.com/legends-of-druidawn.html

NO, I have nothing to do with this. As a matter of fact, I have not tried it. But it's a fantasy-based imagination game - perfect for my flavor kid.

M
    M
    I am a writer and have tried all sorts of things for my son. You should go online and read about The Hero's Journey model for writing. It's what Star Wars is based upon and it is a very *physical* illustration of a story. I have actually laid this scenario out with my son using lego's, toys, chalk, walking around the room, and so forth.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM