Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #124954 03/07/12 06:40 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    My son is in an HGT magnet program in a public school and I've always thought it meets his needs, but now I'm wondering. He's never had an IQ test, and has only taken the Ravens & Cogat once, to get into the program as a kindergartener (it starts in 1st grade). He scored 99's on those. We haven't worried too much about his schooling because he's seemed fine until this year. Now, he's a bit frustrated and unhappy and we don't know if it's the curriculum, the class or something else (and he doesn't know).

We had him take the Explore test recently so that he could qualify for the Center for Bright Kids summer camp. I think it's part of the Western area talent search. He easily qualified for the camp and I realized, he has qualifying scores for DYS on the Explore.

Is there a reason to get an IQ test and apply to DYS? His HGT teachers seem to think he's pretty exceptional even among HGT kids, so I think there's a good chance he might qualify. But is there a reason to do it? I think our district has a fairly decent program for HGT kids. But maybe my son's unhappiness in school this year means it's not as great as I think it is. I don't know. In reading, he was recently assessed at 12.9th grade (post high school). I haven't seen a math assessment since the end of 3rd grade, but on that test he was at 7.2 grade level (but he's completing 5th grade math in school), and on the Explore test he was in the 89th pct for Math and 85th in science (that's for 8th graders, and he's in 4th).

Any thoughts?

Last edited by syoblrig; 04/06/12 02:20 PM.
    syoblrig #124964 03/07/12 10:12 PM
    A
    A
    You could get an IQ test and apply, or you could apply with the achievement and portfolio option. You may not even need to get the test done to qualify for DYS.

syoblrig #124978 03/08/12 08:55 AM
    It sounds like you need more information about your son, and if his teachers are saying that he's "pretty exceptional even among HGT kids, then I would probably take that data point and run with it. An IQ test can give you a relative measure, true, but it can also give you great information about your child's strengths and weaknesses. I'm always amazed at what people can pick out of the scatter of numbers across sub-tests.

That said, aculady's advice is good: you wouldn't even need an IQ test to apply for DYS. If you have achievement (with Explore) you could apply with a portfolio and see what happens.

You ask "is there a reason to do it?" Put it this way, if your child turns out to be PG, wouldn't it be great to have a consultant to help and a group of parents who've been through some of your same experiences?

Have you ever not shared something your child did with another parent because it seemed TOO advanced?

syoblrig #127341 04/12/12 08:52 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I want to thank you for encouraging me to arrange an IQ test. I arranged it right away and we were astonished to get the results .

I think that really explains a tremendous amount about his frustration level in school and I think we'll be able to better advocate for him now. I am also submitting a DYS application in hopes we could get an educational consultant to weigh in on some upcoming choices we have to make.

Last edited by syoblrig; 06/25/12 12:45 PM.
    syoblrig #127347 04/12/12 09:54 AM
    T
    T
    Syoblrig
    Glad you were able to get that done and I wish you well while compiling the DYS application!

syoblrig #127348 04/12/12 10:06 AM
    Originally Posted by syoblrig
    I think that really explains a tremendous amount about his frustration level in school and I think we'll be able to better advocate for him now.
    Good for you! What a relief. It is great that he has lots of gifted peers and programing, but some advocacy/tweeking of the regular program does seem to be in order. Just think how much worse it might have been if you lived in a disctrict without any accomidations for gifted kids!

You refer to the program as HGT...What does the H stand for? What are the cut offs? Is it a full day, 5 days a week program? Have you called the school to schedule an appointment to review the test results? Will you start with the teacher?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    syoblrig #127349 04/12/12 10:51 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S

It's a highly gifted school with separate classrooms.

Last edited by syoblrig; 04/15/12 05:16 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM