Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    B
    Oh yes I believe I remember that enforcer/punisher topic has come up before.

Well looking at history it's not pretty to be a society-changing person, but looking kindly upon a child who sees right from wrong clearly and prefers not to back down, there are ways to channel that like getting involved in a cause that kids can do, helping with the environment, standing up to bullying, spearheading some sort of effort to raise money for a cause.

U
    U
    IMHO, these types of people (referring to ultramarina's description of her DD above) are an important part of society because they are the whistle-blowers (when needed), strike leaders, people who have the guts to go up against things that might be legal but are morally wrong (for example, slavery).

Oh, indeed. In fact, I think my DD has the potential to do some truly amazing things in the world. My god, she has grit, and fire. But she can be hell on wheels to parent. I wouldn't necessarily say she is big on "order"...nor is she "conservative." But fairness and accuracy and justice--oh my, yes. She has been highly aware of sexism since she was probably two.

U
    U
    BTW, DD and some of her friends have been getting bullied at school by a couple of kids. I've confirmed her story with another parent and think it's probably accurate. I asked her if she wants me to speak to the teacher, but she says no--she plans to take it to the teacher herself. I gave her some pointers, but she does not want to discuss it further because she has her own plan. This is very typical of her.

B
    B
    Good for her, and good for you. Since you asked if you can talk to the teacher, she knows you support her and since she said "no" and you'll give her space to hone her skills, so to speak.

Order is much different than fairness and justice. Don't even get me started!! She obviously knows the difference by nature.

B
    B
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Last edited by bzylzy; 04/23/12 04:44 PM.
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    NCmom2, what do you consider your second "E" to be? I'm curious because you do sound very much like my DD, who does not have a dx outside of giftedness but whom I consider somewhere on the gray edges of ASD...perhaps. I feel like she does KNOW that people don't like what she's saying or doing but that her compulsions towards rightness and fairness keep her going forward regardless.

I was diagnosed with moderate dyslexia in elementary school, but according to the psych who did the eval, I was compensating well and needed no accommodations. This was not true, I was so stressed I was having panic attacks and my hair was falling out. I also suspect ADD since my son has it and we share some characteristics. But who knows. Maybe I was just bored spitless in school and that was why I could not focus and eventually checked out of my academic life almost completely.

I don't think the focus on fairness is a DX. From my reading, that tends to be more of an IQ trait than a disability. I feel like it is my job to uphold and protect, even when it is hard or people disapprove. My heroes are the civil rights activists who exhibited such intense physical courage combined with a real commitment to the principles of non-violence in the face of horrible violence and injustice.

Your daughter sounds like an admirable child.

U
    U
    bzylzy--Heh... I should really get DD a mini version of that t-shirt. Maybe when she's a little older. Not sure I want to encourage it at present. wink I will admit that to some degree she comes by it honestly. I am also not one to go quietly, in many circumstances. However, I was not like this as a child. That is, I can remember having some similar thoughts, but I never spoke up about them. I wouldn't have dared.

NCmom, I think it can be a trait of gifted people, but it certainly does not seem to be true of all. DD does seem to fit very neatly into a certain "subtype" of gifted people. I kind of think someone should do a "Field Guide to Gifties" (you know--the visual-spatial, arty dreamer...the mathy builder...the exacting, driven, justice-focused type...obviously, some people fit into more than one category).

N
    N
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    NCmom, I think it can be a trait of gifted people, but it certainly does not seem to be true of all. DD does seem to fit very neatly into a certain "subtype" of gifted people. I kind of think someone should do a "Field Guide to Gifties" (you know--the visual-spatial, arty dreamer...the mathy builder...the exacting, driven, justice-focused type...obviously, some people fit into more than one category).

Yes, for sure. If I recall it is one of the tick boxes on the "your child might be highly gifted if...." type lists. But certainly not all people who are highly gifted have it.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM