Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 257 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JuliaS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    DS is 8, grade 2 and is currently reading at about a 5.9 on the guided reading level. His teacher assessed him at a 3.1 at the beginning of the year, and has been very dismissive of our assessment. She's been having him read easy books in class (he can read what he wants for his nightly reading at home), and I'm trying to advocate for his using more challenging texts for their in-class reading workshop work.

She sent us an email this morning that he is not performing up to expectations when it comes to reading comprehension. He gives simple answers to questions, sometimes not even answering the question. For example, when asked about secondary characters in a book, he answered that two of the main characters had landed on the moon. She said that he often draws a picture rather than writing in his journal, and that he rarely chooses to do any extra work.

What's interesting is that when I talk to him about his reading, he gives full and detailed answers. I've even seen this in class - he will give me one answer, and then give his teacher a much simpler, "flatter" answer without the colorful details.

What's odd is that he's a very good writer, using excellent descriptives when given unprompted writing or writing his own story given a brief prompt.

I think part of it is that the books in school come so easily to him that he doesn't really try. He also tends to be a little timid when called on in front of class, as he's very concerned about "getting in trouble" or making a mistake. But I think these are only parts of the problem. I've told him that throughout school he'll be expected to read and explain different texts, many of which will not be overly interesting to him.

Are there activities we should be doing at home to encourage him? What would you recommend we do? My husband and I are going to discuss it further and meet with his teacher - in part to encourage her that we see her as a "trusted advisor" and to lean this away from the slightly adversarial nature the discussion has taken. I'm particularly concerned that he's not reaching in reading - which he was at the beginning of the year - and I know he's no longer reaching in math as well.

Thanks very much!

My DS8 struggled a lot with this one type of homework they had the first half of 2nd. It required them to do a couple of things during the week: summarize a chapter, identify 'key events' and evaluate and compare characters. The summarizing was very difficult at first - which is totally developmentally normal for 7/8year olds. We had to sit down and talk through that part of the home work for probably 2 months before he was able to do it on his own.

Does he have homework where he's expected to do what she's asking for in class? I've found that sometimes all it takes is me explaining that the teacher wants you to do XYZ, and then he's fine after that. (In his mind, the answer/response should be SO MUCH BIGGER/MORE COMPLICATED! and it overwhelms him. Once he's internalized what the teacher actually wants, things are much better.)

Last edited by epoh; 04/11/12 06:59 AM.

~amy
    J
    JuliaS Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I don't know if the school has a policy or not, but I'll be darned if they try to limit my son because of some silly policy or approach. In my opinion, he should be able to read any appropriate text that is a "just right" book, and asking him to read a 3.1 when he's at a 5.9 is like asking a child who is at a 1.5 to read at a 2.5. It's cruel and frustrating. I seriously hope our school isn't like that. They don't have an advanced reading program - or any sort of gifted program - but as long as he's doing the work, what does it matter if he's reading at his level or his class level?

They're writing the answers in their journals now - as they have been for awhile - but he just rushes through things (as he does in math) and I'm concerned that his frustration is turning into not caring about the quality of his work.

EPOH - it sounds like the same sort of assignment my son is getting. He understands it much better when we talk about it - one of the many reasons why I'm reading the same books he is. I was wondering if that was developmentally normal. I suspect his teacher doesn't understand that gifted children are not gifted in all areas, and still need "normal" development activities in concert with their talents.

Unfortunately the work they do in Reader's Workshop is not homework, and they are not expected to bring home their journal (nor are they permitted to).

Hubby and I are meeting with his teacher on Friday and I'd like to ask her if he could bring home his journal daily for the next few weeks so I can give him more immediate feedback. I'd also like to ask her that if he doesn't answer the question sufficiently (or at all, like he did earlier this week) that he not be permitted to move on until he does it right - even if that means missing out on free time or other activities.

I don't think it's right to just accept the work, move on, and never give him the feedback that his answers are insufficient. To me, we learn best when we are shown our mistakes and given a chance to fix them, particularly at this grade.

I still can't help but think something else is going on and I'm at a loss as to what it is??

Thanks all!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM