Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Wren #127515 04/16/12 05:22 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Wren
    ...cannot compete with millions of Chinese and Indian kids doing multiplication in grade 2?

I think that we should push the envelope. Maybe I am wrong.

Ren

I agree that the math curriculum could easily be more challenging in U.S. schools (at least from what I have seen), or at least offer more differentiation for kids who are ready for it--a la Khan Academy and 'flipping' classrooms as has been in the news some recently. This is one of DH's big issues too--that the math skills of the undergraduates and graduate students he meets from the U.S. are often significantly behind those of the students he meets from abroad (often from China or Korea). This cannot possibly be good for any country particularly in the long term, although it has been going on for awhile already, at least here in the U.S. On the other hand, maybe the gifted kids who are being homeschooled or accelerated (in the few places where it is offered) will help make up for some of it wink

Wren #127517 04/16/12 05:36 AM
    F
    F
    Khan Academy is being introduced in our school next fall!

Wren #127518 04/16/12 05:44 AM
    B
    B
    There is so much talk/concern about "21st century skills" but it seems to conflict with that traditional "boo-hoo math is hard" or "math is just for geeks" mentality. It's a very confusing message. I guess the children of the concerned parents will have to be accelerated outside of school, homeschooled, or some other take-the-bull-by-the-horns approach.

Even if you don't "major" in math it's such a good discipline for thinking, organizing thoughts...and it's so concrete, and old, and part of so many structures...a refreshing relief from the "subjective" subjects.

My DD's spring school conferences included the child and they have to prepare by answering scripted questions ahead of time, like what you feel you accomplished so far, what is challenging etc. One of the questions my DD hadn't put an answer down for. It came up in the conference. It was "what do you find challenging about math?"

DD looked at her teacher but didn't say anything. The teacher said, "(DD) told me that there is nothing challenging in math and she needs more challenge." Supported by stern look from teacher right at me (it's my fault apparantly)

So DD was on the hot seat and the teacher insisted she name something challenging. DD said, "okay, okay, the 9x table" I said, "but DD, when you first saw the 9x table you said, 'oh that's easy it's just 10x the number minus the number'" DD said, "oh yeah..." looked at her teacher, then said "but it's challenging"

Teacher moved on to the next topic for the conference
    Anyway I'm making a note of everything and we'll have to have a conference about what 4th grade will bring and decide what we're going to do. It's getting too disturbing.

In the meantime this summer we'll do math enrichment. It's hard to do during the school year because of the battling philosophies, it's so confusing for DD.

Last edited by bzylzy; 04/16/12 05:45 AM.
    bzylzy #127522 04/16/12 06:27 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by bzylzy
    ... One of the questions my DD hadn't put an answer down for. It came up in the conference. It was "what do you find challenging about math?"

DD looked at her teacher but didn't say anything. The teacher said, "(DD) told me that there is nothing challenging in math and she needs more challenge." Supported by stern look from teacher right at me (it's my fault apparantly)

So DD was on the hot seat and the teacher insisted she name something challenging. DD said, "okay, okay, the 9x table" I said, "but DD, when you first saw the 9x table you said, 'oh that's easy it's just 10x the number minus the number'" DD said, "oh yeah..." looked at her teacher, then said "but it's challenging"

Hi, bzylzy!
    I agree this is disturbing, but in a way it's also hilarious (but still disturbing) that they're making her say something is challenging when it's not, and that she is 'playing along.' On the 'bright side,' at least she understands that she it can be necessary to lie in certain circumstances, which is a very difficult thing to teach our DD.

Also about it 'apparently being your fault' that your DD said something--we get this a lot--people seem to assume that our DD couldn't possibly have come up with a negative opinion about school or a teacher by herself, so it must be coming from us. Not so--we spent most of the year trying to convince DD that the teachers were trying to 'help her' until finally we gave up trying to convince her because it just wasn't plausible. Now we've switched to being honest and trying to teach her how to 'play along,' which if she at least learned that from this year would be *something* she learned at school.

I hope 4th grade goes better for your DD--good luck!

Wren #127523 04/16/12 06:46 AM
    B
    B
    Hi Dbat!

I guess you're right...if that scene was in a sitcom the viewers "in the know" would be roaring. DD has definitely learned to split over to play the game, at this point it does exhaust her (I think from what she's saying lately that's the main source of exhaustion).

We saw this Japanese movie where the racoons transformed into humans for the day to go out into the working world, since the humans had taken over their land. It showed these racoon-humans exhausted on the way home at the end of the day, and for some they were trying so hard to stay in human mode but racoon bits would "pop out" and when they got safely home they could turn back into racoons.

DD was very wide-eyed at this, but said she totally understands it. So I remind her/tease her about it, and call her my brave little racoon.

People who are 'different' have to do this to some extent their entire lives. If you can find a working intellectual niche I suppose it's so much better but there will always be challenges. People who are dual-language or culture learn to weave their way in and out of both or either cultures.

Anyway back to the OP I agree that the math curriculum could certainly be bumped up.

bzylzy #127525 04/16/12 07:00 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by bzylzy
    We saw this Japanese movie where the racoons transformed into humans for the day to go out into the working world, since the humans had taken over their land. It showed these racoon-humans exhausted on the way home at the end of the day, and for some they were trying so hard to stay in human mode but racoon bits would "pop out" and when they got safely home they could turn back into racoons.

Getting OT here, but what's the title? Sounds great.

More on topic: I am spending a lot of time this year advocating for a faster path through the elementary curriculum as our district moves to Common Core. So far falling on deaf ears.

DeeDee

Wren #127527 04/16/12 07:11 AM
    F
    F
    I found this on our district website this morning. I only pasted what pertained to us smile I am hoping I can use this for acceleration!

The Final Report of the National Mathematics Advisory Panel

Teaching Mathematically Gifted Students

The Panel’s review of the literature about what kind of mathematics instruction would be most effective for gifted students focused on the impact of programs involving acceleration, enrichment, and the use of homogeneous grouping. Although many syntheses and summaries of research in these areas have been conducted, our searches yielded surprisingly few studies that met the Panel’s methodologically rigorous criteria for inclusion; thus for this section we relaxed these criteria to fulfill the charge of evaluating the “best available scientific evidence.” The Panel could formulate its recommendations only on the basis of one randomized control trial study and seven quasi-experimental studies. These studies have limitations. For instance, motivation is a confounding variable, just as it is a selection criterion for being considered a candidate for acceleration.

The Panel’s key findings are the following:

The studies reviewed provided some support for the value of differentiating the mathematics curriculum for students with sufficient motivation, especially when acceleration is a component (i.e., pace and level of instruction are adjusted).

A small number of studies indicated that individualized instruction, in which pace of learning is increased and often managed via computer instruction, produces gains in learning.

National Mathematics Advisory Panel FINAL REPORT 53

Gifted students who are accelerated by other means not only gained time and reached educational milestones earlier (e.g., college entrance) but also appear to achieve at levels at least comparable to those of their equally able same-age peers on a variety of indicators even though they were younger when demonstrating their performance on the various achievement benchmarks.

Gifted students appeared to become more strongly engaged in science, technology, engineering, or mathematical areas of study. There is no evidence in the research literature that gaps and holes in knowledge have occurred as a result of student acceleration.

In the case of gifted (or academically advanced) students who are advanced in their skill and concept attainment and can learn new material at a much more rapid rate than their same-age peers, it is the professional judgment of those in gifted education that they need a curriculum that is differentiated (by level, complexity, breadth, and depth), developmentally appropriate, and conducted at a more rapid rate.

Support also was found for supplemental enrichment programs. Of the two programs analyzed, one explicitly utilized acceleration as a program component and the other did not. Self-paced instruction supplemented with enrichment yielded the greater benefits. This supports the widely held view in the field of gifted education that combined acceleration and enrichment should be the intervention of choice.

Recommendation: Mathematically gifted students with sufficient motivation appear to be able to learn mathematics much faster than students proceeding through the

curriculum at a normal pace, with no harm to their learning, and should be allowed to do so.

There is a need for more high-quality experimental and quasi-experimental research to study the effectiveness of interventions designed to meet the learning needs of gifted students. Especially vital are evaluations of academically rigorous enrichment programs.

It is important for school policies to support appropriately challenging work in mathematics for gifted and talented students. Acceleration, combined with enrichment, is a promising practice that is moderately well supported by the research literature, especially when the full range of available literature is considered.

Wren #127531 04/16/12 07:28 AM
    B
    B
    Thanks frannieandejsmom! I'll try to use that to formulate requests for next year.

When I took DD out of K to homeschool, a person I respected told me not to let her get more than two grade levels ahead of the schools if I planned to put her back at some point. She said "go deep" as well as capping that 2-year mark, which I did more formally then. We do it less formally at home now because DD is quite resistant to additional formal work during the school work, during the school year... she's fine in the summer when we "catch up" The informal mostly translates to talking or informally writing things down about the math behind certain life things or concepts if DD initiates (things like architecture, the solar system, time, calendars, or any patterns she recognizes).

DeeDee the movie is call Pom Poko (1994 Isao Takahata), but read alot of reviews first. My DD loves the Japanese kids movies but this was not her favorite, though she loved the transforming part. She loves the ones that feature a smart, strong girl of course.

Wren #127537 04/16/12 08:45 AM
    Thanks for the links, kcab.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Wren #127538 04/16/12 09:16 AM
    I believe the reason they don't move faster in math is because less time is spent on math - than language arts. Plus, most of the lower elementary teachers are language arts people. I have looked seriously of time spent on both and way less time is devoted to math.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM