Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Angel17156 #126241 03/26/12 03:31 PM
    B
    B
    AlexsMom you always make me laugh.

But a serious response to the original poster, if you read around in many of these threads many of us are parents that are trying to make sure that the situation you are in and how you feel doesn't happen to our kids.

I guess you should take a practical approach and figure out what you don't like, prioritize it, consider any practical solutions and present them. I don't know what you've tried already but if it was more vague (not that it's a criticism, because I've learned from experience) the people you are appealing to will be less likely to take it seriously.

I'm a "grown up" and I've had to learn this while advocating for my child. People that you are advocating to do not necessarily connect the dots. Present them with a plan and they may punch holes in it, but at least you can take it, tweak it, and start again.

And the online learning thing is a great idea, maybe looking forward to that for this summer will cheer you up.

Things always look more dismal when you're a young person, but there is a big world out there and the fact that you took the initiative to post here shows that you're already on your way. You should feel really good about that.

Last edited by bzylzy; 03/26/12 03:46 PM.
    Bostonian #126258 03/26/12 07:15 PM
    Val Offline
    I find that a little compassion goes a long way sometimes.

Sometimes, stuff seems pointless because you still don't see the big picture of why you're learning it. You can't yet, because you're still learning the basics. Some math books try to tell students why subjects like geometry and algebra are important, but from what I've seen, they mostly miss the big picture.

I, too, wondered if I'd ever use geometry when I took it, but by a few years later, I had really started to see how a solid foundation of mathematics could help me in many areas. The logical way of thinking I learned in geometry helped me learn how to structure an expository essay when I was a freshman in college. Solving lots and lots of geometry and algebra problems helped me understand statistics with greater speed and accuracy than would have been possible otherwise. And of course, statistics are really important in psychology.

Last edited by Val; 03/26/12 08:59 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Bostonian #126259 03/26/12 07:22 PM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Your message does not make me think you are ready for college. You can't even spell correctly the topics that you dismiss. If you want to study psychology seriously, you will need to learn a good bit of statistics, but it appears that math bores you.

Not to mention that you need to learn the difference between "degrade" and "denigrate."

I'm sorry you find your current work pointless, and I wish you were able to enjoy what you have. But there's no rush to get to college - finish as much as you can while it's free! Life is not a race, it's a journey.

I do think that geometry was one of the most important classes of high school. Learning how to do a rigorous proof didn't only help me with my engineering Ph.D., it helped me with my JD. And statistics is absolutely vital to your chosen path of study.

Dude #126273 03/27/12 05:18 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Given the annual double-digit inflation of college costs and prolonged stagnation of wages, I expect we're quickly approaching a tipping point at which the cost of a college education exceeds its benefits. It's at this point where we need to find other ways to educate a workforce.

For students who are smart and motivated enough, there are cheaper ways to get a college education than to spend four years at a residential college, but for many career paths they still need the B.A. credential. Clarence Page has written some columns in the Chicago Tribune about alternatives to the B.A. I have posted articles about MITx (still under development) and other online schools.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-oped-0311-page-20120311,0,6116617.column
    A GED for college?
    March 11, 2012

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-oped-0325-page-20120325,0,3490586.column
    Has college become too easy?
    March 25, 2012

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Angel17156 #126365 03/27/12 10:16 PM
    A
    A

Angel17156 #126371 03/28/12 06:26 AM
    U
    U
    I saw that article, ABQ, ands found it interesting but potentially somewhat wrong-headed. Here is a good comment someone posted:

(below is from the article)

"Statistics like this are a good reminder that, even though college
    tuition is famously outpacing median incomes, there is still something
    more expensive than going to school. Very often, that is not going to
    school."

(now the comment)

The most expensive, of course, is going to school and not finishing. If, say, 70% of marginal college students wouldn't graduate (currently half of students don't finish their program in 5 to 6 years- http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/p... - and there's probably a selection effect that means the marginal students would do worse), how does that change the rate of return?"

Angel17156 #126375 03/28/12 07:06 AM
    We are at the stage now where the entire debt origination structure of college and graduate education is beginning to roll over because the costs of debt are making it a poor financial investment.

This is happening in the law school complex.

I don't think it's quite to the undergrad complex yet, but it's really trashing law students, who generally have over $100,000 debt that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

I think that college is still a good deal, but it's rapidly moving toward a bad deal.

Give it a few years.

Angel17156 #126387 03/28/12 09:40 AM
    U
    U
    I think I agree, Jon. I have really revised my expectations and opened my mind re: my kids and college. DH and I both went to expensive private colleges that we really loved, but I can't see saddling my children with that kind of debt in this economy....even with high-ability kids, I'm wary (though I reserve much of my opinion till they're college-age). We may strongly push for an honors college at a state school instead. I feel a little sad about the idea, but more sad about the idea of them having to spend so many years getting out from under their loans. I know a LOT of people my age (pushing 40) who are still saddled with a mountain of debt (usually grad school, though not always). Some are just starting out in their careers, and they generally have kids to put through college and a retirement to save for. It looks nightmarish, and I'm very grateful that my own small loans are long paid off and that DH's grad school was entirely subsidized (he's a scientist). This has given us so much freedom. We both have relatively low-earning but interesting service-oriented jobs in government, which suits us. If we had mega-loans, we'd both likely be working in corporate America. I used to freelance for pharma companies who paid me much better than I'm being paid now, 15 years later, but I hated it.

Last edited by ultramarina; 03/28/12 09:42 AM.
    ultramarina #126390 03/28/12 09:49 AM
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    (now the comment)

The most expensive, of course, is going to school and not finishing. If, say, 70% of marginal college students wouldn't graduate (currently half of students don't finish their program in 5 to 6 years- http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/p... - and there's probably a selection effect that means the marginal students would do worse), how does that change the rate of return?"

From the failed students' perspective, it is a disaster. Had they taken a skilled trades approach, they would have a paying job and marketable skills and much less debt.

From a social perspective, it is a disaster. Lives delayed and capital sunk with zero return.

Most people do not need to go to college.

ultramarina #126392 03/28/12 10:07 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I think I agree, Jon. I have really revised my expectations and opened my mind re: my kids and college. DH and I both went to expensive private colleges that we really loved, but I can't see saddling my children with that kind of debt in this economy....even with high-ability kids, I'm wary (though I reserve much of my opinion till they're college-age). We may strongly push for an honors college at a state school instead.

Are you aware of the financial aid policies of the Ivies? Don't assume that they will be more expensive for your child than a public university. Plug your data into a financial aid calculator and find out.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2011/09/harvard%E2%80%99s-record-166-million-financial-aid-program-will-increase-aid-to-low-income-students-and-provide-a-new-financial-aid-calculator-for-students-and-families/
    "As students from the Class of 2016 use the calculator, they will see that families with incomes between $65,000 and $150,000 will contribute from 0 to 10 percent of income, depending on individual circumstances. Beginning with the Class of 2016, families with incomes between $150,000 and $180,000 will be asked to pay slightly more than 10 percent of income."

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM