Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you, aculady!

P
    P
    It sounds like you have a good plan - good luck! I hope it goes well -

polarbear

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Yay, progress! I think. Not positive yet, but we will see how it goes. The teacher agreed to let him bring his notebook of extra, more challenging work to school (she previously vetoed that, because she thought it was a distraction to the other kids) as long as he promised to only do it when he was done with his regular work. She also agreed that he was far ahead of most of the class, and even suggested that he may do well to skip a grade - but not right now. It's the end of the year and everyone is preparing for EOG's - the last thing we want is for him to be tested over material he may or may not have learned yet, and have that held against him when we go to do his IEP at the end of the year. The teacher also told me that they are pushing really hard to start levelling of classes in third grade next year, and if they do she will strongly recommend he be put in the most advanced class. She even told me that if they choose not to, I should come to the school and "throw the biggest hissy fit this school system has ever seen". He has been working independently on advanced math for a while, but has had limited time to do it because he also has to do the regular math in the class. She agreed to drop that entirely and let him do the more advanced stuff exclusively. We also spoke to the librarian, who (after a bit of prompting) agreed that he will be allowed to check out ANY book he wanted, regardless of grade level. (The school's official policy is that they only get books within a certain range of their grade level, and I've been fighting that rule for two years now).
    The only problem with all of this is that I will apparently have to start the fight all over again next year, because they basically stuff the test scores and such in a folder and never look at them again, much less communicate between teachers and grade levels. But this is a good start. Assuming, of course, everything happens that I was told would happen.

M
    M
    Good job.

B
    B
    That's inspiring. I do believe I'll try the idea of independent work for math and science (after the frenzy of the assessments are done). Good job!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM