Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just found out that the school district I live in offers a self-contained program for GT kids. Marketing lit says the intention of the program is to �enhance the highly gifted student by�fostering self-directed learning�and cross-grade grouping.� The marketing lit also says the program serves .5% of the district population and that transportation from the student�s home campus is provided by the school district.

The district also offers a GT program at each school for students that score well but not as high as those in the self-contained program.

Any thoughts on the eligibility requirements? When my son gets older I�ll make time to better understand test types and scoring. Right now it�s a confusing blur. confused

REQUIREMENTS: (1) two IQ scores of 140 or above w/in the past 2 years in the areas of verbal, nonverbal and/or quantitative; (2) achievement test stanines of three 9�s, or a combination of two 9�s and one 8 in the core content areas of reading, language and math; and several other subjective requirements that I can wrap my brain around.

Ann,

That sounds pretty good. We also have a magnet for the top 2% but I've heard it's mostly the top .5. Both my girls should qualify and I'll take advantage if they do. DD8 already knows about it and grumbles a little about the potential of leaving her friends, but I'm guessing at least one if not more of her friends will qualify.
    The subjective part is supposed to ensure that kids who don't test well but who would clearly benefit from the program can be included. I've heard in at least one case it can work the other way. A boy with an IQ of 160 was not admitted. I don't know the details or how accurate this info is.
    They'll probably use a group intelligence test combined with an achievement test to identify the students who could attend.
    I know here they use the CogAt and ISAT.
    Look into it, it might be a great program.
    smile

I

Ann,

I'm with 'Neato. Based on what you've said, it sounds pretty good.

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking us though. I'm a bit short of caffeine today, so maybe the problem is me...but what do you mean by this:

Originally Posted by Ann
    Any thoughts on the eligibility requirements?

Do you mean thoughts on what they are, or thoughts on whether they're high enough, or something else entirely?

(To my credit, I do make a point to try to answer the actual question being asked before I wander off into the goofy irrelevancies I so love! wink )

Kriston
    Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    (To my credit, I do make a point to try to answer the actual question being asked before I wander off into the goofy irrelevancies I so love! wink )

And here I thought you could read my mind. wink

Kriston, has anyone complimented you on your sense of humor today? grin You had me cracking up as I tried to eat my late lunch/early dinner - not a pretty sight to say the least.

Sorry for the confusion. I posted too quickly (tried to hurry before class started).

I wonder if the two score-related requirements make sense together. Do they typically go hand-in-hand? Maybe I need to be pointed to a resource that explains scoring. Is there a GT Testing for Dummies Book? I had to look up the word "stanines" -- "three 9's or a combination of two 9's and one 8" means nothing to me. crazy

Yes! GT for Dummies! Anyone have an in with the publisher of the series? We could recommend it!

Originally Posted by Ann
    And here I thought you could read my mind. wink

Normally I can, but not when I'm a quart low of caffeine! My ESP gets surprisingly weak in that case! grin

Originally Posted by Ann
    Kriston, has anyone complimented you on your sense of humor today? grin You had me cracking up as I tried to eat my late lunch/early dinner - not a pretty sight to say the least.

blush You make me smile at the compliment, and then you make me want to clean my computer screen. Not sure why... wink

Okay, I promised a serious response, but I won't dive into the testing morass, since Dottie's the pro and she's already on the case. (What I know about stanines...is zilch!)

I'll just say that many programs--including DYS!--have both an IQ and achievement requirement. I think they want to check both native ability and performance, since the combo helps them to catch kids with LDs who might get missed and to weed out hothoused kids who are not GT.

Kriston
    Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dottie this helps SO much!!! Thank you! Why couldn't they just say that? confused You need to write the "for parents" section of their website that explains this stuff.

Re: IQ scores
    "Two IQ scores of 140 or above on district-approved measure within the past two years."

I have to admit I am curious about what the "district-approved measure" means (exactly). The school starts in kindie. I wonder if parents can petition the district for testing before kindie. I also wonder if the district would accept private testing. I know we're a long way off, but curiosity tends to get the best of me. I may just call tomorrow and ask.

I'm not clear if they're asking for two IQ tests either. That does seem like overkill.

Thanks again Dottie!

Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    blush You make me smile at the compliment, and then you make me want to clean my computer screen. Not sure why... wink

LMAO - I sound like DS2's Elmo TMX w/ low batteries. I enjoy humor that is clever, a little dry, and honest. laugh

I'll just say that many programs--including DYS!--have both an IQ and achievement requirement. I think they want to check both native ability and performance, since the combo helps them to catch kids with LDs who might get missed and to weed out hothoused kids who are not GT.

OH - that makes sense. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!!! Bit by bit - maybe one day - I'll vaguely understand the GT realm. grin

Seriously! WAAAAAAAAY ahead of the game, Ann! When my son was your son's age, I was still deeply enmeshed in my belief that he was "only" MG and that public school would be a breeze for him when he got there, sans accomodations.

Yeah, the salad days of GT denial, before my rude awakening to GT reality! :p Testing wasn't even a blip on my radar screen when DS was 2 or 3 or even 4! The school tested him for GT (teacher ID) when he was in K and almost 6, but I didn't even ask to see the scores until 6 months later and he was having trouble in school. (DUH!) But at the time, I figured they had IDd him as GT, so what more did I need to know. LOGs weren't something I was considering. Then I saw his outrageously high scores (I thought) and realized I had some learning to do!

What little I know I've learned in the past 6 months, and only after I had the scores in hand, so it was all on the fly.

At this rate, you'll be a pro like Dottie by the time you actually need the info! laugh

Kriston
    How many posts in a row can we get someone to write waaaaaaay too many A's in the word "way?" 4? 5? D'ya think?

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Edit Reason: missed an a in waaaaaaaay

I am waaaaaaaay ROFL over this!!!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM