Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 71 of 268 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 267 268
    M
    M
    DS(16)'s school was approached by the local council and asked if DS could assist the men with the mathematics in a course they were required to do on water and waste water. DS was happy to do this and did three 2 hour sessions with them. He came home from school yesterday with a lovely letter from the council thanking DS for his excellent assistance and informing him that all the men had passed the course. YAY DS.

J
    J
    that's great matmum!!!

L
    Lan Offline
    L
    onthegomom- Thank you! It wasn't easy to get DH involved in afterschooling but he's been more willing to help these days since he saw the result.

That's relieving. I still remember the absolute frustration when the art teacher in 2nd grade told us to draw whatever we wished to. I just stared the blank paper feeling my brain became totally blank. DS has the same tendency and gets a panic attack easily with writing and drawing. I try to divide them into small steps so he won't be overwhelmed with the frustration. I was happy to find out these days he actually likes writing although it's still hard for him.

L
    L
    DS4 read a little French to us today for the first time - the third language that he can read.

M
    M
    WOW! How wonderful.cool

T
    T
    DS4 brought me a stack of mixed-up bills (all fake, sadly!) and said, "Here's a hundred dollars for you!" I figured he had just picked a random number, but when I counted the money, it was indeed $100. smile I can see that there's still a lot of play money left in the drawer, so he must have counted out the amount he wanted to give me.

DD3.5 was at a birthday party for a school mate yesterday and her little friend was very upset that his lovely dinosaur pinata was going to get a beating. He refused to hit it himself, even throwing the stick away from everyone and proceeded to have a major meltdown about it where his mother had to hold him down. DD clearly saw all of this happening but it didn't stop her from taking her turn at the pinata. When it finally did break open and the candy was picked up; they tossed the pinata over the edge of the yard (where there was a ditch) and informed the poor little guy that it was the dinosaur's grave. He stood there for a little while looking at the carcass of what use to be his dinosaur and was clearly still upset. DD walked up to him and put her little hand on his back giving him a little rub and talked to him for a little bit which seemed to calm him down and they headed off to have birthday cake together. DD really has such an awareness and high empathy.

M
    M
    That is such a lovely story, Katelyn'sMom! What a wonderful, kind, sensitive little girl--good for her, and good for you, for raising such a sweetheart.

peace
    minnie

M
    M
    Wow! That's fabulous, matmum--how wonderfully affirming for your son, and good on him for doing such a terrific job!

Lots to celebrate around here lately--hooray!

peace
    minnie

S
    S
    DS5 patiently sat and watched a friend try to solve a puzzle on cover your tracks (a thinkfun game that he was borrowing from DS). DS didn't give advice or tell them how to do it and then when they got a little frustrated he said "It's okay, I get stuck on that level too sometimes." : )

Page 71 of 268 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM