Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Monday will be my sixth parent/teacher conference of the year, and so far, virtually no results. Every time, the teacher agrees to give him "accelerated math" (all of his grades are good, but math seems to be the area in which he excels the most). She does it for a week or so, in his spare time, then stops. It has gotten worse recently, because about halfway through last year they moved him into a second grade math class. Due to scheduling issues, they could not put him in a third grade math class this year. So for the past few weeks, he has not only been going over material that he already knows - he is doing the exact same workbook that he did last year. What's worse is that he is now starting to think that his teacher thinks he is "stupid" because she won't give him any more difficult work, and is repeating what he has already learned.
    Anyway, since the last few conferences (some with just the teacher, others with administrators and guidance counselors involved) have been essentially a waste of time, I thought I would call in reinforcements this time. What exactly do I need to do in order to get results?!? I don't want to go in there as "angry mom", but I'm honestly so frustrated with this whole thing, I'm ready to stop being nice and start making demands. (And as a former teacher, I can almost guarantee that won't work). Any suggestions for what may be more effective than what I've been doing? I'm not looking for any particular answer - I'm willing to compromise. But the thing that is absolutely necessary is that my son learn something at school - which is not happening right now.

U
    U
    Here are some thoughts based on my own (somewhat limited) experience...

(1) What kind of scheduling conflicts are there with 3rd grade math? Perhaps they can be resolved with a little creativity and flexibility. My DS6 misses 1st grade arts to go to 3rd grade math, but then makes up the work in afternoon during 1st grade math. According to his teacher it has worked surprisingly well.

(2) Plan for next year now. They have probably not finalized the master schedule, so if they are on board they may be able to ensure that your DS can attend the appropriate math class.

(3) ALEKS is another possibility. They could allow him to work on it at his own pace during math time.

Ultralight Hiker

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I haven't had him tested by a professional - other than the rudimentary testing they do for AIG at the school. I mentioned in another thread that I'm hesitant to get his IQ tested, because after I did that as a kid it was used as an excuse to not teach me anything ("I've seen your IQ - there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this"). On the other hand, I'm starting to think that if I don't get his IQ tested, the school will never acknowledge that this is a real problem for him. So I'm kind of stuck on that one.
    He works on more difficult work at home - per his own request - and does very well on it. He has a notebook in which he keeps all of his work - should I take that with me? Or would it do anything besides paint me as the crazy parent who is pushing her child too hard?

Originally Posted by Michelle6
    I mentioned in another thread that I'm hesitant to get his IQ tested, because after I did that as a kid it was used as an excuse to not teach me anything ("I've seen your IQ - there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this").

I think that they wouldn't have done anything for you with or without the IQ scores...they only will if they will.
    On the other hand, I'm starting to think that if I don't get his IQ tested, the school will never acknowledge that this is a real problem for him. So I'm kind of stuck on that one.

It might help, especially with an achievement test, and the Iowa acceleration manual. Lots has changed, but some hasn't. Can he go to 4th grade math? Independent study instead of the regular work.
    He works on more difficult work at home - per his own request - and does very well on it. He has a notebook in which he keeps all of his work - should I take that with me?
    yes - and cry if you feel the tears welling up, about how he feels that the teacher is losing confidence in him, and he's losing confidence in himself. It is really sad. If you can make yourself vulnerable enough to cry, then won't see you as a screaming attacker. You are just a mom with a problem that they can help solve.
    Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    P
    Since he already works on harder stuff at home, would it be possible to give him some instruction at home (ie introducing new concepts - maybe using Khan Academy) and then he could work on his homework (that you give him or he does online) at school while the other kids are working on their math. Or maybe if the school wants to be more involved you could get with the 3rd grade teacher or gifted coordinator and work out some arrangement where he is instructed at home and then does work at school - using the curriculum agreed upon by the school with the agreement that they would help him if he had a question.

It's part of the natural difference between Gifties and Regular adults. Folks who identify as gifted usually made a fierce decision to go with logic, and the evidence of their senses, as products of their minds, a long time ago. Folks who didn't go down that path, for whatever reason, are more likely to be influenced by an emotional connection. Gifties who are trying to be logical, work hard NOT to show emotion, but assume that everyone is 'like them' and would prefer an argument based on facts and research and logicial extensions of those. But most other people aren't anything like that, and so our hard work works against us.

I didn't read that in any book, it's just my personal observation, and it's certianly not true for all of us, but it's truer than could be predicted by chance alone, I'd bet.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    I would bet too Grinity.

Be careful with the crying. Kids can think they are part of the problem.
    Don't get stuck in the middle, its a long partnership.

P
    P
    You have a lot of great advice above, so I don't have much to add - but here are a few thoughts.

Sometimes at school you hit a brick wall in the form of a teacher or other staff member - they aren't going to give no matter how you advocate. They might have become a brick wall for any number of reasons from someone above them telling them "no, our school can't do this" to simply being tired, overworked or not caring. It helps to figure out (if you can) what might be driving their unwillingness to help in order to make a game plan of how to fight it... or to know whether or not continuing to advocate is going to help.

Your school must be willing to subject accelerate as a policy since your ds was accelerated last year. You've had 5 parent-teacher conferences already and it doesn't seem to have helped. Is anyone else getting called into the meetings by the school? If not, I think I'd approach this meeting with a plan - take a written list of what accommodations your ds was given last year (he was subject-accelerated in math) and the dates of conferences you've had this year with what was agreed upon at each. Point out what hasn't happened. Ask what will be done to resolve it. Let the teacher know if what you agree upon doesn't take place, you will call a team meeting (don't know what they are called at your school - but it's the type of meeting where the teacher, parent, counselor, school psych etc all meet together to discuss the needs of the student). Most often those types of team meetings take place when a child is having a difficulty which has to do with a learning challenge or behavior challenge, but if your child is feeling that his teacher thinks he is stupid and isn't getting the work he's capable of doing (particularly after already having been acknowledged of being capable of higher level work by the same school) then you have a very valid reason to call a team meeting. If you have to have a team meeting, I'm guessing you'd get what you need there simply because the school gave your ds his math acceleration last year.

Re crying, emotion, etc. I've never cried at school - that's not really my personality. It's also my nature not to want to make waves, be confrontational, or make demands. What I've found works effectively for me sometimes is to simply state the obvious, and repeat it when it's not heard. The school staff may try responding, backpedaling, getting off track etc to not be pinned down on something but just simply repeat the very obvious points that your ds is entitled to - or ask why not. Repeating with slightly veiled sarcasm can work very well too. But before I tried any of that, I'd first do as mentioned above - put together my very specific list of what my ds needs (subject acceleration) and a starting point of a suggestion that you're willing to settle for in terms of how he can get it, ask for that first then go from there.

If the meeting doesn't go well or if the teacher doesn't follow through - request the team meeting (in writing, email is ok), and be sure the principal is cc'd on the request.

Good luck with the conference -

polarbear

D
    D
    You need to get the book From Emotions to Advocacy. And depending on if you can pull it off and the audience, according to Pete Wright the Matlock approach can be useful!

Good luck!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Okay, I think I have developed a passable strategy. I'm going to try really hard not to cry, because that just strikes me as manipulative. (This is not a statement about any of you who have done so - but coming from me it would be fake and obvious). The plan is to lay out all the facts, explain the emotional and cognitive toll it is taking on my son, and move from there. But I plan to be prepared for anything. I'll be taking samples of his writing and math that he does at home, as well as a copy of the curriculum for North Carolina, clearly marked to show what he knows and what he doesn't. (He already knows about 80% of what he will be learning in third grade next year - that worries me as well). I would also like to take copies of some research showing the benefits of challenging a kid. I tried to find the "What kids don't learn" article - one of the links sent me to the Gatton academy site, but I didn't see the article. The other links didn't work at all. If anyone could help me find that article, I'd appreciate it. I realized today that I still have an account that allows me to do research at the library where I attended college, so I will be looking up reliable articles to add to the mix. If anyone has other suggestions for supporting research, I'll be glad to hear them. I don't know if I will be able to use any of these or not - but I want to be prepared for anything. If I don't get a response, I'll call a meeting with the whole school if I have to.
    I may be a bit overzealous today. Watching how my son eats up any new knowledge has me all motivated - it's heartbreaking that he has such potential and doesn't get to use it. Hopefully I will get somewhere this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM