Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello!

I'm wondering if many of you have experience with the Johns Hopkins and/or Duke Talent Searches. These are the searches where primarily 7th graders take either the SAT or the ACT (above-level testing), and approximately 1/2 of those (probably already very bright group) kids qualify for their programs.

My understanding is that the programs are largely summer camps, with intensive academic subjects. For many children, these camps are supposed to provide a rare & wonderful opportunity for academically-oriented children to bond with other kids who share a lot of their interests, and I've only read very positive things about the camps themselves.

My own son is in 7th grade, and so I signed him up, and he did take the SAT a week and a half ago. I am sure, from the one practice test he took, that he will qualify. However, I realized months ago that he has no interest in attending the camps. Since I had already registered him for the SAT, we decided to send him to take the SATS anyway.

But I am wondering, are there any true benefits that people have experienced from the talent searches, if you weren't interested in following through with the camp? I know that if they score over 700 on any section, they qualify for SET (Study of Exceptional Talent), but even reading through that, it seems like the only tangible benefit is a periodic newsletter. Just curious if there are any truly valuable things that we might look forward to, from participating.

Thanks so much!!

PS One mistake I made--so a little tip for those of you with 6th graders and younger--I signed him up to take it at the closest location, which is our town high school. There were a couple of kids there that knew my son from their younger siblings, so naturally they went home and said they saw him there, and we got curious questions about it (nothing offensive, just curious about why he was taking it). Not a big deal, but if I could do it over, I would have driven him 10 minutes further to a different district, to avoid that.

Last edited by C squared; 03/22/12 09:05 AM. Reason: typo
    B
    B
    The chapter "Talent Searches and Accelerated
    Programming for Gifted Students" in volume 2 of A Nation Deceived http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/ND_v2.pdf
    makes recommendations (quoted below) on acceleration and enrichment based on talent search SAT or ACT scores. If your son scores high enough he should at least consider grade acceleration or early college.

PROGRAM RECOMMENDATION BASED ON SAT I OR ACT PERFORMANCE RANGES
    TABLE 4.
    A Range
    230–470 on SAT-V
    200–510 on SAT-M
    OR
    0–21 on ACT-Eng or ACT-Read
    0–17 on ACT-Math
    Program options should include:
    1. Long-range academic planning, following
    Sequence 1 in area of academic strength
    2. Early access to advanced school courses
    3. Supplement coursework with
    enrichment-oriented school, Saturday, or
    summer programs
    4. Early career counseling
    5. Sequence 1 of “Recommended Course
    Sequences”

B Range
    480–580 on SAT-V
    520–600 on SAT-M
    OR
    22–27 on ACT-Eng or ACT-Read
    18–23 on ACT-Math
    1. Long-range academic planning, following
    Sequence 2 of “Recommended Course
    Sequences” in area of academic strength
    2. Fast-paced school, Saturday, or summer
    classes in area of strength, using
    “curriculum compacting” to compress
    courses into shorter time frames.
    3. Early access to college-level coursework
    through Advanced Placement (AP),
    distance-learning, dual-enrollment, or
    summer courses.
    4. Early career counseling, including access
    to mentorships, tutorials, and internships.

C Range
    580+ on SAT-V
    600+ on SAT-M
    OR
    28+ on ACT-Eng or ACT-Read
    24+ on ACT-Math
    Options 1–4 from B Range, plus:
    5. Individualized program of study, using
    “test-out” approach in areas of strength.
    This helps advanced students avoid
    spending time on material they already
    know.
    6. Consider grade acceleration (grade
    skipping) or early admission to college
    7. Individualized work with a mentor
    to pursue advanced study in an area,
    possibly aimed at a specific AP exam.

A
    A
    Our DS1 took the ACT in 7th grade thru Duke TIP & qualified for a State-Level Award (though 20+ students at his school also qualified, so it wasn't a "big deal" to the school). The state awards ceremony was held at our flagship state university and it was a nice event for DS1 to attend, along w/DH. The state U also offered an AM program & lunch - program focused on issues impacting high-ability kids in today's society - and we paid to attend, but then DS had a state soccer game & had to miss everything except the ceremony itself :-( However, he enjoyed knowing that his 7th grade ACT scores were high enough to enroll in the state U right then & there. So the ceremony & the insight into his abilities were worth the trouble to test, IMO. He did not prep, though he looked over the pamphlet sent by Duke TIP prior to the test. We cannot afford the summer programs - and they are typically a great distance from our area, anyway. We still get occasional newsletters, I believe.

DS2 (6th grade) recently took the EXPLORE thru Duke TIP. I have no idea what, if anything, he will receive in terms of recognition. Not sure 6th graders are even honored and we have received very little info from TIP. Not sure about summer programs, either, but cost & distance are still the prohibitive factors.

All-in-all, I would definitely recommend these talent search programs. If nothing else, your child gets a "preview" of testing that will be a real focus in high school. And maybe a medal, too. Higher-scoring students can also attend a national award ceremony at Duke, so that is likely a neat experience!

A
    A
    Bostonian - I remember seeing similar info that came from Duke TIP along w/DS1's scores! I have to chuckle because, based on DS1 being in the B/C range, I emailed the school to see if he might...possibly...maybe...even be considered for eval into the gifted program. I didn't ask that he be tested - just that the process might be explored for him. I'm sure they had a good laugh over my email & then the note came back that many (many, many) students at our school receive such scores and such scores alone would not be cause to initiate exploration. DS scored higher than most of his friends in the gifted program, but that meant nothing.

In our district, they definitely spend more energy keeping students out of the gifted program than evaluating them for placement.

So, to the OP, if your student scores in the high range, you may or may not get any additional support from the school. But you still obtain valuable info, as does your child.

H
    hip Offline
    H
    Hi -

Ds12's school encourages qualified students to take the EXPLORE, ACT and SAT every year through a talent search, but I stopped signing him up for it last year and registered him for the SAT through our local high school instead. My main beef with the program is that the 'analysis' that comes back with the scores is generic, and IMO not worth the money, especially since score comparisons and analysis are available online for free.

The money we saved was more than enough to pay for the SAT's question-and-answer service, which seemed way more useful.

My main purpose in having him take out-of-level tests has been not to use the scores to advocate, but to track improvement year to year, to be sure he's in a good learning environment.

Ds hasn't gone to any of the summer camps, but has taken 3 online courses through the talent search program, and for the most part we've been pleased with them.

One benefit of SET you may not be aware of: members can order a CD containing reviews of dozens of colleges, submitted by SET alums. I will order it in a couple of years for ds, so he can find out what kids with abilities and interests similar to his think about some of the schools he's interested in.

I have limited experience with both Duke TIP & CTY - that's why I'm here!! My dd13 (7th grade) took the SAT in January through Duke TIP. We did it mostly because her public middle school kept giving her high school math placement tests and she kept getting perfect scores, so I signed her up for the SAT through Duke. She wanted to do it for "fun" - I wanted her to do it just so I would have a better idea as to how advanced she was.

Without doing any studying for the test, she scored over 700 on both math and critical reading. She was very proud and could finally say "I told you so". For the past two years she was very depressed and bored in school. With these results she feels like she has finally been vindicated.

She is excited about the possibilities that Duke and CTY open up for her. We are a bit overwhelmed with the options and don't really know where to go from here (the Duke & CTY programs are expensive!). Her school principal didn't even know that SAT testing for 7th graders was an option (!) - and although the school doesn't deny that dd is "advanced" - they can't offer much beyond subject and/or grade advancement (she is already taking high school math - but is still bored).

We are in California (the SF Bay Area), but our public schools provide minimal gifted programming... in fact, our District's policy is that ALL kids can take the advanced classes, even if they don't have the ability. It's very frustrating for the kids who do have the ability.

Back to your original question, so far, our Duke/CTY involvement has been very limited, but my dd's excitement and "relief" at knowing that she is a part of a group of kids who are "different" has been well worth it. Even though we haven't actually met any of these other kids yet - just knowing that they exist seems to have really energized her. I would love to know more about other's experiences with these programs too, because we just don't know where to go from here.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by hip
    Hi -

My main beef with the program is that the 'analysis' that comes back with the scores is generic, and IMO not worth the money, especially since score comparisons and analysis are available online for free.

Is this analysis different from what the testing company provides? My DD12 took Explore through school, not talent search. They had a section about how to improve your scores in a particular area. It seemed like a generic discussion that they tacked onto all results. DD had two sections where she had perfect scores so the "improve your scores" rhetoric didn't make sense. It made her dismiss the whole comment section as "lame." I was wondering if the talent search provided anything different.

Last edited by knute974; 03/22/12 11:06 AM.
    A
    A
    Our DS (12 years, 6th grade) took EXPLORE this Feb thru Duke TIP. He also had 2 areas of the test with no errors. All we received was the actual report from ACT and, on the back, there were several generic suggestions for "score improvement." DS's composite score was 24 out of 25, so that seemed decent to me, but we have yet to hear anything from Duke TIP. It seems we received more info from the 7th grade talent search than from the 4th/5th grade search. And, in our case, none of the info we received - even the scores - would make a difference to the school district. Perhaps scores would help with advocacy in other districts, however.

H
    hip Offline
    H
    I didn't keep the talent search's 'Planning and Resource Guide', unfortunately, so I can't compare it to what the testing company sends - maybe someone else here can give more detail.

But I remember it divided scores into three levels and made short- and long-term curriculum recommendations for each, very similar to what Bostonian cites earlier in this thread.

It seemed to me, as you say, to be 'tacked on' to the results. My kids and I have never paid attention to anything but the scores themselves -- how they compare with the previous years' scores, and how they stack up to the scores of peers; and that info, as well as analysis very similar to what talent searches provide, is available online at no cost.

I suppose the recommendations, since they mention things like acceleration, could be used in advocating with school staff, but I've never done it.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by AtHomeMum
    Bostonian - I remember seeing similar info that came from Duke TIP along w/DS1's scores!

Yes, Duke's recommendations are at http://www.tip.duke.edu/talent_searches/grade_7/7GTSResultsSummary.pdf .

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM