Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Coll
    Now that I have read back through the middle of this thread, I have to comment on the regional piece. Whether it's regional, rural, or suburban, or something else, I don't know, but I do think it plays a large part. My experience living in a dense urban neighborhood in a city with one of the highest percent of college degrees in the nation, is that DH and I can talk about our son's abilities, gently, with other parents and they are all perfectly fine about it. A lot of parents know he's in math in a higher grade, and it's no big deal. There are other kids in the school who move around to different grades, and I've run into quite a number of parents over the past several years with kids at gifted schools, in gifted programs, or in the case of our school which has neither, parents who are open about their kids moving around to different grades when needed. We live in an area that's highly educated, but just as or more importantly, it's full of people who moved here from somewhere else and are very adaptable and open to change and difference. My southern hometown is culturally not as open to change and difference.

I expect it's more closely related to the general educational level of a given social circle than an issue strictly of geography. The general tendency to mentally remove 20 IQ points every time they hear a Southern accent aside, I would expect to run into less shock at the world "googolplex" in, say, Chapel Hill NC than in areas of Detroit or Boston with a population which has, overall, considerably less formal education.
    Even in the metro area in which I live (Southern, but with a lot of transplanted Yankees), I can guarantee that certain discussions will go over far more easily in certain groups than in others. The parenting group geared toward professional women who expect to reenter the workforce? No problem most of the time. The parenting group whose membership is based solely on age and quantity of children? Eh...not so much. Although come to think of it, when I bring up my youngest (who was at one pointn nicknamed "Wednesday Addams" by her older sister), I get weird looks from pretty much everybody. Sometimes even including her dad.

Last edited by eldertree; 03/14/12 03:44 PM.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mamabear
    She knows my younger DD has LD and therefore obviously is not very bright (SARCASM)...Then she said, "You are so lucky to have a slower kid like ..... raising a gifted kid is such hard work! I, bit my tongue, but I really wanted to let her have it. Sometimes, you just have to realize it isn't worth it...and let it go.

I think the first words out of my mouth would have been "Have you been a jerk all of your life?"

Mithawk,,,sarcasm vs. serious is lost on this person. My thought was something MUCH more primative, but I was in a situation where walking away was the best option.

Just so you know, it does get better. Differences at the younger ages are very obvious - and the whole reading/ not reading, writing/not writing/writing in cursive thing really can make some kids look very different. Once they get to first or second grade, I found - this is much easier. Everyone is reading, everyone is writing and everyone is doing math. That said, I also don't answer questions about dd's abilities. If someone talks about thier own kid- that is where I keep the focus, give lots of compliments about how great their child is doing. I save my comments about my own child for the grandparents and for this forum.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by annette
    She was truly excited to talk with him and too young to have children of her own, so I quietly answered her questions.

It feels so liberating to discuss my children with interested people who don't have kids of their own... not that it's a frequent occasion. Most people without kids don't want to hear about them. Sometimes you get lucky and then you get to talk much more freely. It's like finally filling your lungs all the way up after breathing shallowly for months.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM