Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 237 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Yes, the numbers have feelings/personalities for DD as well. Here is a sort of crazy story: this came up recently among the adults on a trip we took with some other families where my DD really hit it off with another kid. The mom told me later that she asked her kids and the same kid DD hit it off with also is a synesthete--and shares many of the same associations with DD. (I guess this is fairly common--that is, A is often red, and so on? So interesting!)

The adult synesthete on our trip also reported that his associations sometimes change.

L
    L
    This is so interesting, I'll have to ask my kiddos about this. The only similar thing I experience is that academic subjects have specific colors to me. I would color coordinate my folders/notebooks in school and they had to be the right color or I would never remember which folder went with which class. So science was green, math was blue, reading or English was red, history was yellow.

Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    academic subjects have specific colors to me. I would color coordinate my folders/notebooks in school and they had to be the right color or I would never remember which folder went with which class. So science was green, math was blue, reading or English was red, history was yellow.
    Physics is slate-grey, biology is dark green, and chemistry is sulfur-yellow!

M
    M
    I asked my 6 yr old if letters had colours, she told me of course and started rattling some off. She had colours for every letter I asked about too. Many were repeated though, quite a few were red for example. I checked starfall and "her" colours were a 100% match for the starfall list. I asked where the colours came from and she said from her toes up to her head (showing me physically). So then I asked if the colours came from inside her or from starfall. She said inside her. She learned the alphabet on starfall when she was 2-2.5, and clearly completely internalized the colours such that they are "hers", to her now at 5.5...

Makes me wonder how many with synasthesia learn the colour of the letters on their alphabet blocks gor similar)? The colours of the days of the week on the chart in their preschool?

S
    S
    I never asked my six year old, but I've always had it, and still do (age 39).

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    academic subjects have specific colors to me. I would color coordinate my folders/notebooks in school and they had to be the right color or I would never remember which folder went with which class. So science was green, math was blue, reading or English was red, history was yellow.
    Physics is slate-grey, biology is dark green, and chemistry is sulfur-yellow!

Mine subject/color coding is exactly the same! The only difference here is that physics is usually purple (my favorite color and my favorite science)!

DD9 says that numbers have personalities more than colors also. However, there are definite colors to go with emotions and situations. I can't remember what her's are right now, but we talked about this once and she said that the color coding tended to change depending on how her mood was when she was thinking about it.

R
    R
    DD (10) says "6 is DEFINITELY purple. 7 is green; 8 is blue; and 9 is red." She says the other colors get mixed up, and she doesn't see colors with letters. My other DDs don't seem to have it.

F
    F
    Ahhhh, so nice to hear that this state of being has a name. I just stumbled across this definition on the internet tonight and feeling kind of relieved there are others out there. My son (gifted) has always insisted that the numbers of the week had certain colours. I always thought it was interesting and could celebrate this part of him because for me, I can hear music when I see shapes, colours, images or movement without the sound....aaaah, now I understand why I feel overwhelmed and tired when I go grocery shopping - I just realised I was converting the rows in the aisles into music (major/minor keys, symphonies/solos etc).....is there a way to disengage from this temporarily because I am avoiding the supermarket and other busy places because I feel so drained afterwards....

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    When she was in a play last summer, she knew all the lines in the whole thing.

Ohhh... me too... in drama in school, I'd just... remember everyone's lines. All of them. I could recite entire plays if asked. I could also see a word once and never forget how to spell it (interestingly I've lost this after having babies... that must be the part of my brain they stripped the DHA from, ha ha)

Last edited by CCN; 01/04/13 11:46 AM.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    DD also is an extremely good speller. I read somewhere, possibly not somewhere reliable, that this is associated with synesthesia.

The funny thing about this for me is that I am totally fascinated with it and DD seems to feel it's sort of ho-hum. Like, okay, yes, of course Tuesday is blue. What's the big deal?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM