Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Master of none, can we get you a shorter nickname? smile

Jack? wink

Originally Posted by AmyEJ
    But I think about HSing every single day, especially because we have a university model school in our suburb that's becoming very popular. There DD6 could choose certain classes and pay for them by the class, just like in college. Elementary-aged kids go T/Th, then are home on MWF to do their work, projects, independent study, or whatever. When kids are older, they can participate in sports and activites, competing against other private schools here in Texas. So it's many of the benefits of regular school with lots of time with me for extras. It sounds pretty good, right? Yet I'm still not "there."

Hi Amy EJ,
    I don't want to push you or anything, as schools really don't always turn out to be like they say and all... but thanks for sharing that image of how school 'could' be.

((electic sparks from drooling on keyboard))
    ((sigh)) If this school was availible without having to move, DS would be there right now!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Hey MON,
    Don't forget to test big brother! (If you can afford it.) I say: Test one, test them all!

And about 70% of folks who take my advice are amazed and think I have special psychic powers. Hee Hee.

Are you going to be ok with the money part for testing both? Will you be able to find a tester who is exerienced with gifted kids?

Some kids are more intense- but that doesn't mean that the efforts you make are not acutally helping, KWIM?

Smiles and Welcome,
    Grinity

Hi MON! I told you you'd like it here - lots of great people! (it's doodlebug from SENG)

I think I've already said, on another forum, that you should test if the testing will answer specific questions you have about your child. And it sounds like you have questions.

We did IQ, achievement and out of level testing. I think that the out of level testing is what really got the school's attention, even more than the IQ score or 98-99th% achievement scores. When you can document that your "still not in K" child is able to do some of the work that is expected of "end of the year high achieving first graders" (the description of the test that was used)it really shows that they should skip K! Perhaps that would help your school's staff really see just where your daughter is educationally.

Glad you came over!

Ann Offline
    Welcome MON! grin

I'm not able to offer the kind of personal advocacy experience you need. However, it sounds like you're feeling low and that's something I can relate to. Please know you're more than welcome to vent here. It's nice to have people, who are removed from the situation, contribute different perspectives. As someone who researches the heck out of something, before making a decision, I appreciate this.

If it helps to cheer you up -- I'm also a painstakingly slow eater and reader. + I like to put french fries in bean burritos and dip it in BBQ sauce. laugh

I understand questioning your perception of your child's abilities (i.e. is he/she really that smart?), but I'm willing to bet your gut instinct is right about your child. Sometimes you have to turn down the background noise >>"Those parents are sure of themselves, and they don't see my kid as all that special."<<

I'm also sorry that you may have to gear yourself up for an advocacy challenge. This is where others here can really help (e.g. brainstorm questions, try a dry-run of your advocacy plan/speech, etc.).

Best Wishes!
    Ann

Originally Posted by master of none
    Thanks for the welcome dajohnson!
    We already asked the teacher, and nobody is allowed to read more than one grade level above, and there's not room to switch math classes.

No wonder you hate facing this! Sounds dismal! Is this a public school or a private one?

My feeling is that it's your job to keep the school informed of your daughter's emotional state, and their job to figure out some solutions. Obviously go to the classroom teacher first, but my guess is that you'll have to go higher right away!

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Ann's right. Use this forum and the wise and experienced people as thoroughly as you can. Write something up, gather input here, and then practice so you sound like you are more confident than you feel. School adminstrators smell insecurity and pounce on it!

Great help here! smile

Kriston
    E
    E
    MoN,
    Welcome smile

Good to hear that your persistance (Not nagging) paid off on the math. I understand your feelings of whether your child is really THAT gifted and needs the special treatment or if your are just being pushy. I'm there myself on any given day. Even with the private test results, they are still not a clear cut answer to our question, but are a great place to start.

I really liked the idea of having DS make a list of his ideas and feelings to take to my next school meeting. It is coming up in about 3 weeks. I can already feel my anxiety levels rising and my stuttering getting worse...

Again welcome!

Originally Posted by master of none
    Sometimes I think that dd needs us to do this because her education and emotional health are at stake, but when I think about it, I can't imagine my dd is so different. She doesn't look different. She's not doing calculus or college level work. There are plenty of smart kids. Everyone else can deal with the system, why should mine get special treatment? It's hard to know whether my reluctance to advocate is based on fear or if it's because she's really not this smart and doesn't need it.

Congratulations MoN,
    A Math adjustment after an email? Do you know how lucky you are? Congradulations!

I'm so praying that you get a little chance to enjoy the peace and coast, but I will reccomend that you sign your children, (both) up for IQ testing. Compared to the unusually gifted kids, there are lots of moderatly gifted kids and tons of bright ones - and your daughter's personality is such that it really really matters to her that you and the school get it right. So - use your period of calm to scrape those pennies together and get an appointment with a tester. Sure, theoretically, if the school is flexable enough, you don't need testing, but I think that there is a good chance that you will be able to move forward more comfortably as a parent after testing than without it!

If you want, send me a Private Message about where you live, and I'll see if I have 'heard good things' about any private testers near you.

Much Love and Luck,
    Grinity

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM