Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    destova Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Hello all, I am new here. Hoping to gain a bit of advice from other parents. I am at my breaking point and do not know what to do... I apologize in advance as I'm sure this will get long.

I am a mother of five, divorced in a rather sudden way a few years ago. Previously we had lived in an average sized city where the school did everything they could to help my son excel. They also worked with my daughter who is dyslexic. When we decided to move to the country to be closer to my extended family I had high hopes as in my mind a smaller district (average grade size is 20 students and they break them into two classes!) would be able to customize learning even more.

That has not been the case at all. The district has zero communication with parents. They want nothing to do with accelerated learning until the students hit eighth grade where "advanced math" can replace general math and biology can replace general science.

At first I went to the school to meet with teachers and attempt to work out plans for both of my older children. My son for acceleration, my daughter for extra time to read due to her dyslexia. Neither request has been listened to or acknowledged in any way. (I should say here that my sons Math teacher does go out of his way to give my son challenges that he works on in his free time. This is certainly not the district/school policy, though, this is one teacher who actually cares enough to help.)

When we started in this district my son was in 5th grade and honestly, I didn't push too hard on the accelerated request. I was suddenly a single mother of five starting a new business to support my children, and I just felt like he was doing well enough with his projects at home. (robotics, computer programming, and devouring my fathers old college engineering books and a collection of autobiographies of inventors he'd gotten for his birthday) I know I should have pushed the school more right from the start, but I was just so overwhelmed at our new situation and only had so much to give. That's terrible, I know, but that's just how it was.

Anyway, at first it wasn't bad. He had straight A's and seemed happy in school. Fast forward to this year, he is in 7th grade and things are falling apart.

I had a meeting with the super and the principal last week regarding an incident at the school. When that discussion was wrapped up I asked about the advanced classes that start next year. The principal said that she was the one to make the decision regarding which students are placed in the classes. Her feelings on my son being in them? "I do not feel that he has the appropriate amount of work ethic to even be considered for the classes." Despite his being a previously straight A student who is just this year falling behind due to homework not being turned in. Despite the fact that I've begged the teachers to challenge him, to see that he is bored out of his mind. Despite the fact that he is doing wonderfully in Math, where he has a teacher that challenges him. Despite the fact that they are making him take Keyboarding(!) when he knows how to program in Python because of the "missing work ethic" that he seems to have at home when he can work on things that challenge him.

My mother works for the district in the local building (k-3 is in our town, 4-12 is in a nearby town) and has told me to consider getting an IEP. She heard through the small town school grapevine that other parents have had to go that route in the past when the principal just didn't feel that their children "deserved" to be in the accelerated classes.

I am going to spend this afternoon researching the state of IEP for gifted students in Nebraska but thought I'd see what other parents have done in the past. Any other parents of districts that resist change? Advice? Is requesting an IEP an extreme move to make? If it is, I'd like to know what I could try first. I'm so frustrated and angry over the attitude there and just feel so angry.

An IEP is a standard practice for gifted students in several states. It does not appear that Nebraska is among them.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/state_policy_nebraska_10030.aspx
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/mandates.htm

D
    destova Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you for those links!

I spoke with the head teacher of the Elementary school this afternoon after posting this. (Granted my son is in the High School, but she is a family friend and knows the district well.)

She confirmed that Nebraska does not state that gifted children can have an IEP, but that I can use his falling behind this year to push for assessment. Then I can follow that up with a request for an IEP. Other parents in the district have had to do this in the past, though she warned me that it made for a rather hostile situation between the parents and the principal afterwards. The principal sees an IEP request for a gifted child as an insult apparently.

Living in the middle of nowhere, we only have 2 other districts close enough to opt into should we go that route. After researching both online and speaking to the principals, it seems they are exactly the same as the current district.

I may have to consider taking them into Iowa (we are right on the border) and enrolling them in the private school I attended as a child. This will be an incredible cost to me in both tuition and gas for the drive in twice every day, but I am pretty much at the end of my rope and want better for my children.

(For those of you who might think I'm being a bit over zealous with transferring schools, this issue is not our only one with the district by far. They have many issues that they do not want to fix. Issues so bad that my children, who are very social, sometimes beg me to homeschool them...)

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM