Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    U
    Knowledge is power, especially for those who are as relentlessly concrete and logical as some of our kids.

I don't know if this is true. More knowledge is not always reassuring. Sometimes, learning more makes you even more anxious. Frankly, I avoid stories about global warming at this point. I know how it works and what it's going to do, and reading about it makes me feel extremely agitated and upset. We do many, many things to reduce our contribution to it, but I feel deep and overwhelming despair if I read too much about it, and that can be paralyzing. I also avoided the news for a while during the height of the GWB presidency because it was making me intensely depressed about the state of the nation.

What's more, sometimes even firm knowledge doesn't seem to help much. DD has read all kinds of authoritative sources that say the sun is not going to burn out for billions of years, but she still worries about it.

If a child knows some things about an alarming subject but might lack other information that would be reassuring (eg: there are no volcanoes in our home state), then knowledge can be very useful. But I don't think there is a blanket statement to be made here.

Last edited by ultramarina; 03/12/12 06:35 AM.
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I don't know if this is true. More knowledge is not always reassuring. Sometimes, learning more makes you even more anxious. Frankly, I avoid stories about global warming at this point. I know how it works and what it's going to do, and reading about it makes me feel extremely agitated and upset.

You don't want to finally get a chance to colonize Antarctica?

Alternately, you could become a peak oilist. I think that's incompatible with global warming, but I could be wrong.

Knowledge is power, especially for those who are as relentlessly concrete and logical as some of our kids.

I don't know if this is true. More knowledge is not always reassuring. Sometimes, learning more makes you even more anxious. Frankly, I avoid stories about global warming at this point. I know how it works and what it's going to do, and reading about it makes me feel extremely agitated and upset. We do many, many things to reduce our contribution to it, but I feel deep and overwhelming despair if I read too much about it, and that can be paralyzing.

Well, one place where knowledge = hope is information regarding some of the progress we're making as a society on energy alternatives.

For example, the ability to store energy off the grid, as opposed to the current use-it-or-lose-it system, would greatly improve the efficiency of generated electricity.

This stuff takes captured industrial emissions and turns it into ethanol.

Plus, there is historical precedent to fall back on, where an environmental catastrophe triggered by humans led to a response and solution. We no longer burn coal or whale oil in our homes. Despite producing 25% of the world's commercial timber, US deforestation is no longer an issue, with forest coverage stable since 1907. Etc.

Originally Posted by Dude
    Plus, there is historical precedent to fall back on, where an environmental catastrophe triggered by humans led to a response and solution. We no longer burn coal or whale oil in our homes. Despite producing 25% of the world's commercial timber, US deforestation is no longer an issue, with forest coverage stable since 1907. Etc.

I just want someone to tell me how much energy we can reasonably expect to gather from solar, geologic, and tidal forces on a regular, sustained, and reliable basis.

Some people still burn wood in their homes. I know, because I've given wood (from an unused wood pile) away to wood-burning people. Because they are dirt poor.

Originally Posted by epoh
    How do you handle it when a kid like this brings up some sort of major world problem/issue? DS started asking about gas/oil the other day. He's very concerned that we are digging oil out of the ground and burning it all up in our cars, and then we are going to run out, and then what will we all do?

We are not running out of oil. Not by a long shot.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/08/progress-to-unlocking-over-800-billion.html

US economy is far more diversified from oil now that ever before.

And NOTHING is sustainable. Second Law of Thermodynamics. In practical terms, this means that every machine wears out and also require human attention when they do run.

Solar/Wind are terribly inefficient from a thermo standpoint and this is why they are also cost prohibitive.

Originally Posted by Austin
    And NOTHING is sustainable. Second Law of Thermodynamics. In practical terms, this means that every machine wears out and also require human attention when they do run.

I was thinking of sustainability in the 4,000 year range.

My background is chemical engineering. I just like to know my general boundary conditions.

I really like geothermal. Iceland is cool.

W
    W
    Originally Posted by hinotes
    Wyldkat -

My parents recently returned from a trip where they visited the Mayan ruins. They said that the tourguide said there is no issue with their calendar, they simply reset it every so many years.
    They have absolutely no fear of the world ending and think it is amusing that others believe that (but it is really good for their tourism).

I hope that helps your son! smile

Thanks! We've told him that, but the TV is flashier and if so many people think that... I'll read your post to him though, hearing it from someone who has been there might help reassure him that it's not just mom and dad trying to make him feel better.

W
    W
    Originally Posted by eema
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by eema
    I think it might help if he were more spiritual, but he has advised me that science has proven that God does not exist.

I'm pretty sure that's outside the realm of science.

I told him that too, but he was quite adamant. I said that we would just have to agree to disagree.

LOL I'd have told him, "Show me the proof. If you believe it and science has proven it, then it should be easy." It would keep him busy for awhile researching. laugh

E
    E
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Originally Posted by eldertree
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Show up on their doorstep every. blinkin'. Saturday. morning. until they begin to meet you at the door with a knife and a dead chicken?

(Never mind how I know this.)
    You yourself are a pagan tax collector?

Just pagan. I don't even enjoy dealing with my own taxes, let alone anyone else's.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    E
    E

I don't know if this is true. More knowledge is not always reassuring.

If a child knows some things about an alarming subject but might lack other information that would be reassuring (eg: there are no volcanoes in our home state), then knowledge can be very useful. But I don't think there is a blanket statement to be made here.

Power is, itself, not always reassuring. Though IME it is, moreso, for those who are young enough to have not yet picked up on the concept of circumscribed possibilities.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM