Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by CFK
    What I would not do is hold my son back from starting college just so that he can apply to a more elite school (that he may or may not get into since it's a crapshoot for everyone who applies at those selectivity levels) in order to get a specific kind of "college experience". A student that is ready to start college at 14 or younger is going to be miserable waiting for several years just to pass time until he is chronologically old enough to fit into societal norms.
    Very wise words. Things have changed so much since 'we' were students. The competition is very strong in their preparation, but that is a different thing than 'Level of Giftedness.' It may be that the only time your DS would actually enjoy being a college student would be age 14,15 or 16. You'll know better as it gets closer.

In the mean time look into those summer camp experiences - a great way to 'simulate' that experience of being normal. My son describes CTY this way: "I teaches you all the things that regular kids learn and experience in High School about getting along with other kids and doing traditions and making memories." Does that help me smile as I write the check? You bet.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    JonA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks again for the continued suggestions! It occurred to me after my first post that one other question that has been concerning us is the challenge level of the coursework of a state university (when not at a flagship campus). There are tons of posts here from people who sent their children to a local community college or state university. I have to wonder though how rigorous those courses really are when compared to AP classes at a top high school. We have a local state university that my son could attend (dual enrollment is free for the first course and pretty affordable after that), but I have been warned by a friend who is a professor there that we probably won't be too pleased with the classmates my son would have as we would be with him staying put in HS (though our professor friend did say the other professors are pretty good). Have others here had a similar experience? The price is certainly right, and the school is within a 30 minute walk or 10 minute bike ride (assuming the weather is good), so it is an attractive option for us. We have several other younger children, so we really need an option that my son can get to on his own.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by JonA
    There are a number of top 25-50 schools in our area accessible by public transportation (since he's too young to drive) that would probably be academically OK as a day student. The problem is that I sort of feel as though we would be depriving our son of the experience of a really top school by forcing him to be a commuter as a lesser school than he would be able to attend as a regular 18 year old.

Hi Jon,
    May I ask you to clarify something please? It sounds like you are saying that there are many accessible top 25-50 schools in your area. But, then in your later posts it sounds like you were saying the schools accessible to him weren't very good. Top 25-50 schools are very good so that didn't really make sense. Do you have good schools he could commute to?

I agree with the other person who said that admissions to an Ivy is to not predictable at traditional age. While your son may fit with the academic profile, so do most of the 90% of students who are rejected. There really are no guarantees.

Wanting your son to have a traditional experience is certainly a consideration. Is that what he wants? If that is a priority for all involved it may make sense to look at slowing down his rate of progress through high school and then possibly following up with boarding school or a combination of dual enrollment and homeschooling in order to try to stretch out the time.

F
    F
    Where we live our colleges are not so great. However prior to my kiddo taking the english class, we researched the teacher, met with the teacher, got feedback from other students and thought wow this is going to be great. We set up her whole schedule to do this and were bound. The Friday before classes were to start they changed the teacher. The new teacher had a child similar age as my kiddo. I find those teachers the hardest to work with. So I do still think checking out the teacher is a good idea but by no means fool proof.

J
    JonA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    Hi Jon,
    May I ask you to clarify something please? It sounds like you are saying that there are many accessible top 25-50 schools in your area. But, then in your later posts it sounds like you were saying the schools accessible to him weren't very good. Top 25-50 schools are very good so that didn't really make sense. Do you have good schools he could commute to?
    Sorry for the confusion. I didn't explain myself. We have an OK suburban state university within 30 min/10 min walk/bike distance from our home that my son could dual enroll at where there would be minimal to no cost to us. In addition, there are several second tier (top 25-50) schools about a 45 minute to 1 hour train ride into the city. In both cases, my son could get himself there on his own. The dual enrollment option would be very close to home but I don't think that he would get peers at his level of aptitude (and also there would be many fewer course offerings). The city schools offer everything (coursewise), but as a practical matter, he would really have to apply/enroll full time for both time and cost reasons and leave HS early. Even in the case of the second tier city schools, where his classmates would be far better than those in the local university, they would still be academically well below the elite selective schools. I know that Ivy admissions are not a sure thing, but by the time he is 18 (under any set of circumstances other than sitting out school for several years), he will likely have completed the equivalent of a math major and probably a physical or computer science major too. I find it hard to imagine that at age 18 there would be so much uncertainty over his acceptance to a top 10 school at that point.

We're trying to figure out what to do with him right now, and probably we'll try the nearby/free university first. If it's too easy, we'll go back to the drawing board.

No really..things have change a lot since we went to school. Read the book, 'what High Schools Don't Tell You' although do bring the grain of salt. MIT admissions blog is very good too.
    Bottom line is that you are trying to grow an attractive person who loves life which includes learning. I think that this is hard to do when the local raw materials doesnt match the child's raw material but it sounds like so far you've done a great job. Just keep trying to balance the needs of the moment with the future dreams. You may also want to visit attractive Ivys and see what your current impressions of the students are.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    No really..things have change a lot since we went to school. Read the book, 'what High Schools Don't Tell You' although do bring the grain of salt. MIT admissions blog is very good too.

The strategy I generally recommend is go to the free school (State U, generally), get a 4.0 (or whatever high GPA you desire), and then you are fine for grad school.

I can only speak in terms of dental school and law school though.

College = High School now, so Grad School = College.

And College should be free for the high achiever. This advice does not apply to underachievers.

W
    W
    There was a kid at Hunter who did dual enrollment at Columbia and finished a dual physics and math at Columbia, before he graduated high school. Then he decided on Harvard, the last I heard. I think alot of options are available to those types of kids and you described your son similarly.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by kcab
    When I think fondly of college, I'm most often thinking of something that happened during grad school.

And when I think fondly of college, I'm most often thinking of some activity at which grad students were welcome (and more than just theoretically welcome - they were actually present). We undergrads thought some of the grad students were weird for hanging around with us, but that was really a factor of age.

M
    M
    JonA, I thought I would relate my experience since our sons entered High School at the same age. My son was classified as home schooled but actually entered Florida Virtual School for high school at age 12 and we had planned on doing the dual enrollment at the local community college. Unfortunately a lawsuit here in Florida in 2010 resulted in most (including our local) community colleges to put age restrictions on dual enrollment students (must be 15 or 16 yrs old). This forced us to look at the early admissions option (part of the dual enrollment program) at the local state university (which said they had a 16 year age limit but didn't actually have one published).

Most universities don't require a High School diploma but they do require a minimum list of classes to have been completed even for early admissions. For a University that is part of the Florida State University system it was the following (and is the same for most Universities that I reviewed)

Specific high school course units are required for admission as a first-year student (an academic unit is a non-remedial, year-long course):
    �4 units of English (at least three with substantial writing requirements)
    �4 units of mathematics (Algebra I and above)
    �3 units of natural science (at least two with laboratory)
    �3 units of social studies
    �2 sequential units of the same foreign language
    �2 elective units, preferably from English, mathematics, natural science, social studies, or foreign language areas

So we altered our plan and my son finished those courses (All honors and API except for his 2 years of Chinese, and all A's) applied for early admissions with a letter from his Virtual Counselor and started the University in August 2011 full-time with the state picking up the tab. He has now been accepted as a First Time in College (FTIC)student this fall (Age 14), with a year and a half of credits, and will be a junior at the end of the Fall semester and hopefully a senior by the time he's 16. The state will still be picking up most of the tab, because in Florida we have a state sponsored scholarship call "Bright Futures" which contributes to a students education if they stay in the Florida University system.

The plus side of all this is that he has been fully accepted socially by his peers (most of who don't know his age) and is extremely active in campus activities. He's already making a name for himself in his classes as the "guy to go to for help". He is planning on getting a Master Degree in Computer Engineering with the University's 4+1 program combining the BS + MS degree, and then applying for a top tier school. We didn't do the top tier school application right now because: 1. Felt he was too young for living on campus 2. Looking at MIT, they wouldn't have transferred most of his credits so he would have been an actual entering Freshman. 3. Cost (almost free versus a small fortune). Hopefully he can get into a top Graduate school for a PhD at 18, with the school picking up most of the tab.

So if your son is mature enough, I would say go for the local state university and leave the top tier schools for grad school.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM