Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    What is the complicated part? Is there a lot of math? Is it slow? A lot to keep track of?

Mostly the last one. There's math, but it's not complicated at all. A character sheet is littered with data of various kinds, all with impacts on game mechanics, so understanding all those bits and figuring out how to make them better is a major part of the game. Abilities, saving throws, equipment, armor, spell inventories, spell effects, spell ingredients, etc.* This is all stuff that was carried over from the olden days. They've added some new stuff, and added extra layers to some of the old stuff. For example, I noticed that there are more modifiers to armor and attack rolls depending on whether the weapon used is a pierce/slash/bludgeon weapon in the latest edition. It's just simple adding and subtracting of integers and rolling the dice, but it's more data to track and consider.

Even back in the olden days, the groups I played with streamlined the games. For instance, encumbrance. The rules say you're supposed to calculate the weight of all carried equipment, and compare that to a table for each player's strength, to figure out if they're overloaded. It also affects movement speeds. We just issued everyone a magic bag that had no limits and weighed nothing (think of Hermione's bag in Deathly Hallows), and told people not to try wearing 200 pounds of armor for their 130-pound elf characters. Done.

We threw out spell ingredients, too. Nobody saw the fun in RPing frequent shopping excursions, nor in watching the party die because someone was short on ghoul blood or phoenix tears.

Basically, all the rules are suggestions, and the players and DM are free to modify as they like.

*Notice how the game gets a lot more complicated for players using magic. I recommend newcomers focus on characters who hit things, and expand from there. Hitting things is easier.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    (She has one called a "sklate"--looks like a human, but its pupils are slits and it has no lips. It's telepathic, and if you get too close to one when you are under 10 years old, you will automatically kill someone you love the day you turn 11. The worst part is that you then regain your senses and realize what you've done, just before you die. Yeah, DD has quite the imagination!)

Holy crap, that is awesome, and yet frightening. Your DD isn't going to be 11 soon, is she?

U
    U
    Your DD isn't going to be 11 soon, is she?

Uh....uh...

we have a few months....

wink

U
    U
    I suspect we would do better to find someone to walk us through a modified version. The problem would be finding that someone, who actually wants to do this with a 6- and 10-year-old.

(BTW here is one of DS6's monsters, transcribed as written:

"eyeball raider
    Danger Value 6/10
    Infomaition:
    eyeball raiders are uncommun. They live in pepole's eyes. When it is spearing time, they use their arm spears to spear your eyeballs. Eyeball raiders have very sensitave noses. the only way to kill eyeball raiders is by putting something tiny there."

Huge D&D players here - no problem finding adults willing to play - I don't recommend admitting that in public unless you are sure of your audience!!!!

ULtra - you might try the board game as a first attempt, might be more user friendly than a full game

D&D board game

Or you can try a premade module where the DM can basically just follow the script

D&D module

DeHe

I
    I
    Families looking for board games (also boardless games, card games, dice games, and tile games) may wish to check with Board Game Trader.

LAF Offline
    ultramarina - my son draws monsters of his own creation, we have thousands of extremely detailed drawings of various monsters. He is also 10.

I think they would be kindred spirits!

PS both kids have been into mythology lately, so he wanted to draw the gadfly that stung Io… he drew a monster gadfly that had major weaponry. His point of view was that Hera wouldn't have just sent a garden variety gadfly..

R
    R
    Two apps I'd recommend are Plague Inc (a little weird, but great for teaching geography and, to some degree, biology) and, of course, Minecraft. I'm glad to see Zoo Tycoon on the list--it was a favorite of mine. smile
    http://www.ndemiccreations.com/en/22-plague-inc
    https://minecraft.net
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_Tycoon_(series)

Last edited by Raevyn; 04/16/16 06:15 AM. Reason: Added links

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    Has anyone tried the Banner SagaTrilogy computer game? If so, at what age did you kid(s) take to it?

What feedback have you had from them?

I am thinking of trying to see if DD will get into it .

Scared at the same time because I used to be a bit of a game addict...

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/16/16 02:01 PM.

Become what you are
    R
    R
    And as for card games, my favorites are Uno and Phase 10.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_10
    http://www.unorules.com

Last edited by Raevyn; 04/16/16 06:13 AM. Reason: Added links

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    My DD loved Phase 10 for a while too.

Become what you are
    Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM