Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by hinotes
    Again, not saying to take anything away from anyone.

The reality, though, is that the amount of money available to schools is finite. Because tax revenues have plummeted since 2008, schools are cutting back, not adding programs. In many places, it's extremely difficult for kids with disabilities to get the services they need. If you want to add gifted programming in most places, you have to cut other programs. Our school district has cut all elementary gifted programs before 6th grade. I'm sorry about it, but it had to be done. Another nearby school district has cut programs for LD students left its elementary gifted programs in place.

Originally Posted by Dude
    Our society's educational priorities say a lot about itself.

Low ability: sympathy
    High ability: jealousy

Low ability: welfare
    High ability: high taxes

Originally Posted by DawnKO
    If you want to add gifted programming in most places, you have to cut other programs.

Grade acceleration or subject acceleration is FREE. Hiding behind "spending cuts" is an excuse, not a method.

If I had to cut programs, I'd cut the support staff including the admin staff, push responsibility and P/L down to the principals of each school. Each would then have to run the school as a true business. The trustees would then have a small accounting staff and one exec plus their assistant.

J
    J
    I completely agree. Gifted is a blessing but also a burden. As GT myself, I can attest to how stinky it can be until college & work.

I find it frustrating that I can't get the school to provide my son with a proper math & science education, but three kids in his class have full-time aides because of ADHD.

Our state mandates special ed, but nothing for giftedness - and worse, defines giftedness as exclusively in the arts? Excuse me, but don't we want talented math & science kids as well as gifted readers & language arts students?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Originally Posted by DawnKO
    If you want to add gifted programming in most places, you have to cut other programs.

Grade acceleration or subject acceleration is FREE. Hiding behind "spending cuts" is an excuse, not a method.

Yes, and ability grouping is not only free but can save money. A teacher can handle more children in a class when the ability range is narrower. The government school monopoly is run as much for the benefit of the unionized teachers as it is for the students. The teachers unions oppose labor-saving practices.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    hinotes Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I guess it would have helped if I initially included our history with our school. smile

They wouldn't even so much as give her a higher level text book, let alone consider accelerating her in anything.

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA
    If I had to cut programs, I'd cut the support staff including the admin staff, push responsibility and P/L down to the principals of each school. Each would then have to run the school as a true business. The trustees would then have a small accounting staff and one exec plus their assistant.

You can't really run schools like businesses.

In businesses, your customers aren't also your board of directors.

My father found out about that one the hard way.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Yes, and ability grouping is not only free but can save money. A teacher can handle more children in a class when the ability range is narrower. The government school monopoly is run as much for the benefit of the unionized teachers as it is for the students. The teachers unions oppose labor-saving practices.

The underlying assumption everyone (including teachers) seems to have is that public schools are for producing academically successful students who will go forward and have successful careers.

Sadly that is now how our public education system was designed. It was designed to produce moderately educated citizens, and (more importantly) obedient factory workers. This is still apparent with the loud school bell system, having children form straight lines, sit in identical chairs doing identical work.

If your purpose was to truly educate and help children grow and mature, think of how you would design a school. I highly doubt anyone would come up with the system we've got now.

~amy

The government school monopoly is run as much for the benefit of the unionized teachers as it is for the students. The teachers unions oppose labor-saving practices.

Does every thread need your right-wing politics?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Dude

The government school monopoly is run as much for the benefit of the unionized teachers as it is for the students. The teachers unions oppose labor-saving practices.

Does every thread need your right-wing politics?

I think you insert left-wing politics in some of your posts.

In this thread we are discussing why there are not more resources for gifted education. I think it is relevant to point out that a government monopoly staffed by unionized, tenured teachers will not use its resources effectively. Yes, this is a view more popular on the right than the left, but there are some Democrats who support charter schools and other efforts to
    break the government school monopoly.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM