Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 209 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    I am thrilled to have a daughter as wonderful and gifted as she is. Daily, I feel blessed to be her Mother. But, oh what a lonely road it is!! Can't I just please... find one person... that doesn't care about what she can do... that doesn't see me giving the facts as a braggart? Or a bad parent? Ugh!

Today, my daughter had her first practice for baseball. Things started well. As all us Moms arrived we smiled and greeted each other. We stood in a group and chatted. But as I always dread... the conversation turned to the kids ages and grade in school and *big surprise* their abilities.

The Moms of the 5 year olds (like mine) talked about how their kids missed the cut offs date for school and how their kids were smart and ready for K already. One Mom, obviously proud, slipped in how her son was already reading early readers and such.

At times like this... I smile and keep my mouth shut.

But then, proud Mom, turns to me and asks if DD was going into K this year.

"Actually, she's home-schooled." I reply.

"Oh, are you doing preschool at home then?"

At this, I squirm, and say something along the lines of "Um, no she's a little ahead for her age."

"Oh, does she read already too?" she keeps on.

"yes, she loves to read" I answer... pointedly not saying what.

"What level does she read?" DANG IT... why does she have to ask?

So, I answer truthfully and then truthfully again when I'm pressed by another incredulous Mom as to what level she is on with Math and writing and such. They asked.. so I answered.

I guess I should have lied.

Because they stood there... staring. An uncomfortable silence ensued. I made some lame attempt at joking it off but when that didn't work.. used my younger daughter as an excuse to walk away.

Then, as I turned to go.. proud Mom looks at the other Moms and loudly announces that she "personally believed in letting her kids enjoy being kids."

So, for the rest of practice.. they closed ranks and I was excluded. Friendly smiles from me were not returned.

Again, I should have lied... or changed the subject.. or something.

OH, how lonely I feel!

That's a tough one. I think lots of parents have dealt with comments about how much they "work with" their kids or "give them advantages", i.e. push them, or have it openly asserted. Five is a normal kindergarten age, for cripe's sake-- homeschooling isn't unusual at that age! I'm sorry you had to deal with the snottiness. It comes from jealousy, obviously.

My knee-jerk reaction is to expose the situation for what it is. I probably would have said (on the spot, I'm reflexive that way now) "I wasn't trying to make you jealous or upset about any difference between our kids. Our kids are what they are. I was just answering the questions I was asked. I think it's in poor form to attempt to insult me out of jealousy." Obviously, I would have resigned myself to not having a friendship with the insulting mommy in the short term.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    L
    L
    Well, I know it probably isn't much consolation because exclusion is always painful, but would you really have wanted to participate in those kinds of conversations on a regular basis? Those moms sound really unpleasant. I have to say, that I have a group of moms I hang out with occasionally who all have kids DS8's age and while there is alot of discussion about who's reading what (specific book interests, not levels) and what kind of math enrichment the kids are getting, etc., there has never been any nastiness like this. So it is not an inevitable part of socializing with other moms. Hopefully, somewhere far away from these women, there is a group of equally disgusted and much more fun mommies that you can befriend. Hugs!

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    "I wasn't trying to make you jealous or upset about any difference between our kids. Our kids are what they are. I was just answering the questions I was asked. I think it's in poor form to attempt to insult me out of jealousy."

Ha! Love it! Although I'd never have the gumption to say such.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    Well, I know it probably isn't much consolation because exclusion is always painful, but would you really have wanted to participate in those kinds of conversations on a regular basis? Those moms sound really unpleasant. I have to say, that I have a group of moms I hang out with occasionally who all have kids DS8's age and while there is alot of discussion about who's reading what (specific book interests, not levels) and what kind of math enrichment the kids are getting, etc., there has never been any nastiness like this. So it is not an inevitable part of socializing with other moms. Hopefully, somewhere far away from these women, there is a group of equally disgusted and much more fun mommies that you can befriend. Hugs!

Where's the "like" button?

Perhaps it's just me, but I think a lot of their reaction comes from your behavior. It comes across to me that you felt some sort of guilt/shame over your daughter's ability. Why?

Just be straight forward and proud of her. If they ask questions, answer them honestly. If they are terrible people I suppose they'll respond badly, but that's on them. However, if *you* behave is something is wrong/bad/shameful, they will respond in kind.

~amy
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom

Well said, LNEs Mom.

It was intrusive of them to ask after levels of work. At that point, if they are offended by the answer, it's their problem.

I do typically say something vague and turn the conversation in these sorts of situations, but it happens very rarely here that people inquire directly. Perhaps because I have found the saner parents to talk to...

DeeDee

Originally Posted by Iucounu
    It comes from jealousy, obviously.

I disagree. I think it comes from their feeling insecure.

I agree that coming right out, when asked, is the correct policy. "Well, she started reading at 2, so she's all about books... She's re-reading Harry Potter for the I don't know how manyth time. She loves that series" and then you stay and see who "sticks". Who gets it enough to not immediately start comparing their child to yours, and criticizing you for their experience.

I've found that as the moms get older, and more experienced, and their children start having academic strengths and weaknesses and LDs, and social trouble, and etc, that it gets easier.

Hang in there. It's very isolating.

U
    U
    To be honest, when asked if I was doing preschool at home, I would have said "Something like that," or "We do a lot of different stuff," or something similar. I don't talk about my kids' abilities to strangers or new acquaintances if I can help it at all, though sometimes they make themselves obvious anyway. Yes, these moms were bragging themselves and were being hypocritical to respond that way, but that's sort of beside the point. I like people to have a chance to get to know me and my kids precisely so they can't jump to any conclusions like "You're not letting your kid be a kid."

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Littlewisestone
    "What level does she read?"

You can always answer a question with a questions:

"What difference does it make?"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM