Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    1234 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wondering if anyone has suggestions for easing a very sensitive first grader to new public school (all day gifted magnet program) for second grade; he does not like the idea of change (though once the change is made for him he usually does ok). He currently goes to a small private school with a very loving atmosphere and has been there since he was 2 (they have a preschool program). The private school is nice but not academically challenging enough and we think he would fit better academically in the gifted program (not to mention that the cost for the private school keeps increasing and our budget is pretty tight). He complains that school is too easy but he also says he is going to go there forever. He has friends at the private school (though both of his "best friends" actually left after kindergarten and don't appear to have been replaced). His little brother would still be at the private school for at least a year (pre-K) so that makes it harder; and they will probably both have to go to the private school for summer "camp". When I told him he was accepted to the magnet he freaked and said he wouldn't go. I haven't said anything else about it. Can't decide if I should take him to the magnet program and let him see it before the end of the school year or just drop it for now and then keep gradually reintroducing the idea as fact (i.e., you're new school will be so great) over the summer. If I push him too hard I think he will push back and if he creates too big a fuss his dad may want to keep him at private so as not to deal with the hubbub and then . . . .
    Thanks in advance for the advice and sorry for the long post; I'm wordy.

I think it kind of depends on your son's personality. For my son 'talking it up' makes a big difference. If I get excited about something and talk about it, he tends to get excited as well. This probably doesn't work for all kids though.

~amy
    L
    L
    If he is anything like my DGS, who lives with me, the answer to any change is always "no". Give him a little time to think about it, then mention it again taking in master's advice about the decision. He will come around, but needs time. I am facing the same situation with schools. BTW, once the change is accepted and done, he is usually great with it. I think it is the idea of change - many gifted kids are resistant to change.

Good luck.

D
    D
    I agree with the others, but would also add, that when I was little I would freak out in situations like that due to a sort of imposter syndrome--what if I wasn't really that smart, what if I failed, what if I wasn't good enough. I couldn't have articulated it at the time, but an age appropriate explanation of giftedness, and why I was admitted to the new school, would have been helpful.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM