Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    Thanks for letting us know!

Off to crunch numbers....

M
    OP Offline
    M
    We checked the toolbox first thing Saturday.

Now we have Istep+ starting this week.

We received NUMATS result in mail today. DS9 was a bit upset in reading. He has pretty good vocabulary skill and won spelling bee in school a few weeks ago. But that apperantly was not good enough for the test.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by erich
    We received NUMATS result in mail today. DS9 was a bit upset in reading. He has pretty good vocabulary skill and won spelling bee in school a few weeks ago. But that apperantly was not good enough for the test.

The first line in the toolbox.

You took a test that was above your grade level. You should be proud of your performance because taking such an advanced test at your grade-level was brave and adventurous.

I know with some kids this is not enough. He should be very proud of himself.

My son was not happy with his English score.

I agree with mecreature - these tests are supposed to be hard, and your kiddo can be proud just to participate. I believe the toolbox even said that some kids might get zero. I was surpised by my kiddo's reading score too, thinking it would be higher since his MAPs have shown him reading at very high levels. But then again he's never taken a hard test like this, and he didn't even finish it. I'm proud of what he did. Also, the kids who are taking this test are all extremely bright, and some may be way super advanced in one subject, and not so much in others, etc., etc. There are so many factors. I'm sorry your kiddo is upset.

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I agree with mecreature - these tests are supposed to be hard, and your kiddo can be proud just to participate. I believe the toolbox even said that some kids might get zero. I was surpised by my kiddo's reading score too, thinking it would be higher since his MAPs have shown him reading at very high levels. But then again he's never taken a hard test like this, and he didn't even finish it. I'm proud of what he did. Also, the kids who are taking this test are all extremely bright, and some may be way super advanced in one subject, and not so much in others, etc., etc. There are so many factors. I'm sorry your kiddo is upset.

MAP test can be quite misleading because it misses the "hard test" factors. DS has been through a few competition events such as Spelling Bee, AMC8, Mathcounts in last three months. He ranked EXPLORE test the easiest one.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I believe the toolbox even said that some kids might get zero.

I didn't see any zeros in the last statistical report I saw, but yeah, I told my DD that some kids get zero, even though you have to be really smart to even be allowed to take the test. And that I didn't anticipate that she'd get zero on every part, but that it would be totally OK if she did.

O
    O
    Numats= EXPLORE has an award for third graders this year. My DD just missed by 3 points,I'm proud of her.

DS took the EXPLORE this year in school in May. I'm not sure it is with NUMATS. are they all with NUMATS? IF kids take it at this later date, do they miss awards?

X
    X
    What is the critiria for 3rd grader to win the award?

Originally Posted by Xiangbaobao
    What is the critiria for 3rd grader to win the award?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM