Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 100 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    The test went fine. DS is one cool cucumber (JMO). It didn't phase him.
    He said some Science he didn't quite understand. He also said there were
    a few questions on things he had just read about earlier that week,
    "guess you keep learning new things"...shrug.

He also said he doubts he will want to take it again. LOL

Last edited by mecreature; 01/25/12 08:09 AM.
    My kiddo said he didn't mind the test. He said it wasn't bad, but that he didn't finish it. It will be interesting to see how he did, but I'm still a little unsure about the value of this test for us at this age (DS is 8), especially when he is in a good school situation right now. I am glad he didn't mind it though! I was feeling a little bit guilty, like I was torturing my child a bit on a Saturday morning.

ETA - it was really great to meet and chat with some of the parents who have kids like mine. smile

Last edited by st pauli girl; 01/25/12 08:39 AM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    My kid is in a good situation also. Time flies and things can change quick.
    I understand the value of the test vs age. A leg up is a good thing.
    Thanks for responding.

Last edited by mecreature; 01/25/12 09:15 AM.
    M
    M
    We tested ds9 at the end of 3rd grade last year and he is taking it again in February. For us, it's a way to see growth, and a tool with which we can advocate for school differentiation. Ds11 took the EXPLORE in 4th and it resulted in the school really taking a different look at him. He took the SAT last Saturday, and the AMC8 in the fall. Again, I think it will just give us a better look at where he's at and what work would be appropriate. Our school district always responds more to achievement testing than ability testing. We were asked to have ds9 take the EXPLORE if possible, but he and his brother both wanted to take the EXPLORE/SAT this year.

When ds11 took the EXPLORE in 4th, we had to buy him a calculator the week before (we really didn't realize how advanced he was in math and hadn't ever done any enrichment). His results not only made the school take notice, it was a wake-up call for us too, and for him. The end result was that he had a 5th grade teacher who made a huge effort to challenge him, he easily placed into gifted math in middle school, he joined the math club, has done a few competitions, etc.. It's made him realize that he is good at math, which for me, is a great outcome even if he does nothing with it!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by momtofour
    When ds11 took the EXPLORE in 4th, we had to buy him a calculator the week before

Thank you for that reminder!

O
    O
    MY DD8 did fine at the Explore test. Whew, I feel better it's over. I'm proud she agreed to do this without conviencing. It amazes me a 3rd grader is not scared of a 8th grader test, even though I told her it was mostly for challenge experience. I am excited to get the results.

Last edited by onthegomom; 01/28/12 12:38 PM.
    We too found that our son's Explore results made the school district take notice. He took them at age 9 in 3rd grade, and actually liked it. Showing the district how he compared to kids 5 years older made a huge difference in our advocacy efforts (and it seems like the district was more familiar with Explore compared to SCAT).

C
    C
    How much do these tests cost?

M
    M
    http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/numats/program/fees/?tag=Parents
    This is a link to the fees through Northwestern. Other schools offer it, and sometimes smaller schools that aren't part of the big testing program (like CTD or CTY). The downside is that you're not connected in to their programs or awards ceremonies, but we wanted it more for our own personal info and for school advocacy. Last year, we took it through a local university and it was $50. If you look around, there are other sites.
    http://www.act.org/explore/ests/centers.html - this link will tell you the talent search sites.

A
    A
    EXPLORE was this morning for us. DD8 did fine, and it turns out the site we tested at is purely a talent search test site, so the oldest kids there were 6th graders. DD totally didn't understand what we meant when we said to use the time after the 5-minute warning to answer all the questions left, so she only finished one section.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM