Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
    #109742 08/19/11 07:07 PM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Anyone's DC starting K now or soon? I find I am feeling very strange about it. DS actually got into the gifted program, so after all my anxiety it worked out for us but I find myself nervous about how well it will go, how good a fit it will be, especially since he is doing one of those growth jumps - he seems to have added a new gear! But I am trying not to obsess about potential negatives - and instead focusing on folders and pencils, and that huge school supply list! It's not working very well though smile

But based on the experiences here it seems like it's a better idea to see how it plays out and then go speak with them, see what if anything they figure out about him on their own. Camp this summer taught DS that yes there are kids that like you and what you like so he seems excited but I am worried that this will wear off.

DeHe

DeHe #109748 08/19/11 07:42 PM
    F
    F
    I have a ds starting kinder on the 29th. We don't have a gifted program until 2nd grade (sigh). He will be starting off accelerated for math at least +1. Our schools are blocking math (starting this year woooohoo) which makes this possible. Reading is guided reading so I don't for see this as a problem.

I worry that the teacher will have her hands full with him if she can't differentiate with writing skills and other "basic" kinder activities. I just can't see my son sitting there learning to form letters and number.. or shapes and colors.

Sheila

DeHe #109758 08/19/11 09:20 PM
    T
    T
    My twins started K last week but they are not super speed academics yet...but they also are only 4, just preparing to turn 5. They have already stated that everything the teacher is teaching they already know (they are reading and doing addition/subtraction etc and the class is doing letters and number identification...)...which frankly I'd love to never hear again...as my oldest has worn me out educationally with teachers and issues! Their teachers are aware of big brother DS8 and his abilities and acceleration so they said they would let me know how it is going at the first conference. My twins are FAR more advanced socially and behaviorally than DS8 was at this age...so I don't think they will get noticed as easily as he did.
    I hope your little ones have a successful year in K! Its the first big step into the school system!

DeHe #109780 08/20/11 06:37 AM
    T
    T
    My DD5 is starting K this week. There is no gifed programming until 3rd, no plan for any acceleration, and we are being told there will be "other kids like her" in her class. I am truly hoping there will be. An apology to those who have heard my DD's history which is similar to many children on here, but I am repeating for any new parents so they can see what it is like for others in similar situations. She has been reading since two, knew upper and lower case letters and their sounds since 1.5, has been telling time forever, understands addition, subtraction, fractions, beginning multiplication and division, did skip counting since just turning three, writes and draws well, and has an amazing memory for facts and so on and so forth. She has testing in the 99th percentile. I am meeting with her teacher on Monday and I am not sure what to say or not say. Maybe she will love kindergarten and maybe there will be several kids like her in her class, and they will be forced to find work at their level. A mom can hope.

DeHe #109791 08/20/11 08:13 AM
    J
    J
    One thing to focus on is social skills. Alot of kindergarten is just social, I think, esp. if kids weren't in daycare. Learning the rules of the road. Keep your hands to your self, sit down when the teacher says to sit down! Making friends and being a friend. Working on fine motor skills like holding a pencil, writing letters, cutting with scissors.
    These sound like silly skills but they really aren't. A fair number of posters whose kids skip kindy later write of how their kid has poor executive function, poor writing skills, ADD, etc.
    At the end of kindergarten last year, the teacher apologized, saying she didn't think he learned that much there. He got
    > 160 on the RIAS IQ test. On the other hand, he is very popular! All the little girls want to sit by him in class, LOl.
    For now, that's good enough. We work with him at home on school things, and he's very happy.

jack'smom #109794 08/20/11 08:23 AM
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    A fair number of posters whose kids skip kindy later write of how their kid has poor executive function, poor writing skills, ADD, etc.
    I haven't noticed that - my son, for one, had all of the above challenges and not only did he do kindy, he was in a 'preschool type daycare' from 7 weeks of age. But maybe it would have been much worse if he had skipped K or been home with me instead. ((shrugs)) But my guess is that for about half of highly and profoundly gifted children, all of the above issues are part of 'asynchronous development and 2E.' One thing I do know - every choice has it's risks and it's benefits and we only go around once.

For now, that's good enough. We work with him at home on school things, and he's very happy.
    That's excellent news and I'm very happy to hear it. So much depends on the child's personality. I have heard plenty of stories of non-grade skipped PGlets who thrive. Some do, some don't. Flexibility to change things if they aren't working, and relationship with the child to know when it isn't working is the key, I think.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Peace,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    DeHe #109802 08/20/11 09:27 AM
    My DD started K on Wednesday. So far, it's a disaster! She's going to a beautiful Montessori charter school, where each child gets an individualized learning plan. Her teacher is so nice and talented. However, my DD really does NOT want to be there. She's tried to run away several times, and she's having meltdowns. Fortuntately, the teachers have also seen her positive side, and they say that there have also been times when she's been very good. Overall, however, I fear it's going to be a rough road ahead.

A little bit about my daughter. She has major overexcitabilities, sensory issues, and asynchronies. She was reading before she was potty trained, now she's an avid reader and also interested in math and science. She loves adults, but doesn't click with kids her own age and never made a friend in preschool. She did well and enjoyed preschool from ages 2.5-3.5, but the next year things started going downhill. In February, I pulled her out of preschool because I discovered that there were 9 mean boys who where calling her names and bullying her, and I felt that this situation was untenable for her and that it was causing her meltdowns. At the teacher's recommendation, I had her evaluated by a developmental psychologist who emphatically said that she does not have any kind of developmental disorder like asperger's, just exceptional giftedness. She did very well with no behavior problems from February until June when she wasn't in PS, but then the problems really started when she started attending summer camps. Some of the camps were better than others, and I think she made progress socially. However she was often in trouble, and worst of all her ANGER! started coming out. She gets so angry over little things, and has no frustration tolerance at all. In May, she had huge self-esteem, but this summer started saying things like, "I want the universe to go away!" "I hate myself", "I want to get killed!" (We have an appointment with a child psychiatrist, but it's not until Sept 2). By the end of summer, she'd had enough of the camps, even though she also had a lot of fun there. We took a trip to Chicago where we went to 4 hands-on museums, and she was so happy and really in her element.
    Two days after we got home, it was time to start Kindergarten. The first day was horrible, but the second 2 days were better, though she still hates it. They're learning how do things like stand in line, which she hates -- she's so independent and non-conformist; she just wants to do her own thing. The children were supposed to line up at the end of recess, and she wouldn't do it so all the children started chanting her name for her to climb down from the play structure. I asked her if that name-chanting bothered her, and she said, "No, it sounded like music, so I just started dancing." She's so outside of the box and so different from the other children that I don't know if she can adapt... homeschooling would devastate us financially, plus we don't have any kids in our neighborhood, cousins, or good social connections, and she's an only child. We have a meeting with the teacher and principal on Monday. I'm supposed to bring a list of strategies... I hope we can make this work. I realize Montessori can be problematic for some gifted kids, but it's our only viable option as they don't have a gifted school or self-contained gifted classes in our area.

I feel horrible, ashamed, and embarrassed ... For the past 5 years, I've tried to nurture her giftedness while allowing her to just be a kid. I feel terrible that it's come to this...We have a loving and supportive home, and I love her unconditionally and so does her dad... She has so many wonderful qualities also.
    Thank you for reading. I wish you all the best with your child's Kindergarten experiences.

jack'smom #109805 08/20/11 09:51 AM
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    One thing to focus on is social skills. Alot of kindergarten is just social, I think, esp. if kids weren't in daycare. Learning the rules of the road. Keep your hands to your self, sit down when the teacher says to sit down! Making friends and being a friend. Working on fine motor skills like holding a pencil, writing letters, cutting with scissors.
    These sound like silly skills but they really aren't. A fair number of posters whose kids skip kindy later write of how their kid has poor executive function, poor writing skills, ADD, etc.
    At the end of kindergarten last year, the teacher apologized, saying she didn't think he learned that much there. He got
    > 160 on the RIAS IQ test. On the other hand, he is very popular! All the little girls want to sit by him in class, LOl.

Your description of Kindergarten is just what I hope my son will learn when he starts next year. This year is his first year in preschool and I consider that a "playdate". He's an only child, so the social skills are my priority!

jeimey #109809 08/20/11 12:06 PM
    Originally Posted by jeimey
    I feel horrible, ashamed, and embarrassed ... For the past 5 years, I've tried to nurture her giftedness while allowing her to just be a kid. I feel terrible that it's come to this...We have a loving and supportive home, and I love her unconditionally and so does her dad... She has so many wonderful qualities also.
    Thank you for reading. I wish you all the best with your child's Kindergarten experiences.
    Oh Darling - big hugs for you....all of us just do the best we can and hope it's enough. Not all kids have an easy time of it!

If you haven't already read 'Transforming the difficult Child Workbook' by Lisa Bravo, give that a try. When things get bad I watch South Park and be grateful my child isn't as bad as those pretend kids on TV.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    TwinkleToes #109810 08/20/11 12:15 PM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    My DD5 is starting K this week. There is no gifed programming until 3rd, no plan for any acceleration, and we are being told there will be "other kids like her" in her class. I am truly hoping there will be. A mom can hope.

I think this sums up my anxiety and we HAVE the gifted programing! Fingers crossed that the teacher is a good one!

DeHe

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM