Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline
    GS8's teacher this year was the first to say the 'g' word(gifted) when talking about GS. His other teachers said 'very bright', 'amazing how well he's doing, considering what he's gone through', etc.
    But, the other thing she said, "he's a 'right fighter'" was also on the mark. I had warned his previous teachers not to get into any debates with him, no one wins. This trait of 'always right' seems to be common among gifted kids. Add in a high personal moral standard, and they can be real pains in the neck!
    Don't get me wrong, I love my GS8 and will keep him until it's time for him to head off to MIT, Texas A&M, or Ohio State University, grin, but boy, can he wear a person out! He is one of those high activity kids and usually does best when doing two things at once.

I'm having some peace & quiet today as GS is visiting his other GP's. I'm doing laundry, preparing for tomorrow, and getting things ready to do some rehab in our kitchen. I love to plaster, and repair plaster walls, and other rehab in our 200 year old house.

Ann Offline
    OHG, I'm glad your GS8 has a teacher that understands him this year. That's wonderful! smile

It's too bad you live so far away. GS8 could look after my DS2 until they're both worn out. I think DS's current behavior is more about being 2 than gifted. It's nice that you can find the grin in your GS.

>insert a sound of awe< a 200 year old house ... Neat! I currently live in a community where people think anything older than 7 years is too old. frown

M
    M
    My DD6 is the same, very bright, high energy, incessantly questioning, and an incredible sense of what is fair from not fair and the mout to back it!
    As parents, how do we cope?

I don't know, but some kids grow up and never grow out of it.

wink wink.

Have fun tomorrow. I love rehabbing as well. My current house is less than 20 years old, but I grew up in a house that was over 100 years. There was a fake fireplace in one of the rooms with a tiny little room you could get into if you crawled up into it.
    Great fun!

Incog

My DS11 has been trying to explain to me about 'his pride.' But I don't really get it. I'll keep trying though.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    My DS11 has been trying to explain to me about 'his pride.' But I don't really get it. I'll keep trying though.

OOOOHHHH, got to be careful not to step on 'his pride'! I'm only half-joking, haha. I think that might be more connected with a male coming-of-age trait.

momofonegirl, you said, "as parents, how do we cope?" Answer: send them to the grandparents for a weekend! GS8 ended up staying, but I appreciate one of the other grandparents taking him for a day or two every month. Usually though, I end up babysitting my granddaughters so my daughter can get a break, and I get some time just to dote on them. I definitely needed some alone time today.

I like our old house, drafty windows and all. The internet has been helpful to learn the craftsmanship used to build these old houses, and how to rehab them. Until about 15 years ago we mostly covered up the cracked, flaking plaster on the walls. Since then I learned how to patch or if necessary take the plaster clear off and re-plaster.

My first apartment was in a decrepit old Victorian. I loved that place, and used to imagine how beautiful it would look refurbished. There were high ceilings, French doors, pocket doors, a little stained glass... Just down the road there was gorgeous "Pink Lady" that someone had done over- it was the sort of place people went out of their way to drive by and see.

thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    I love to plaster, and repair plaster walls, and other rehab in our 200 year old house.

Too bad you don't live closer. I love my (only) 128-year-old house, but I don't love to rehab!

Oh, by the way, I'm still always right! wink But I got tired of arguing as I got older. Apparently, ENTPs like me like to "one-up" everyone (so it's not my fault, right?). I am trying to hold my tongue.

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Oh, by the way, I'm still always right! wink But I got tired of arguing as I got older. Apparently, ENTPs like me like to "one-up" everyone (so it's not my fault, right?). I am trying to hold my tongue.

Well maybe there is some truth to that,since I'm an ENTP, and I seem to have an urge to share my .02$ with everyone, so maybe that is true! Isn't it logical(T) to assume that everyone (E) wants access to all the cool bits of information I've collected (P) and organized (N)?

((shrugs))
    I think the key is to find places in ones life where the behaviors you like are appropriate and appreciated.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Oh, by the way, I'm still always right! wink

Not me. No, sir. Nuh-uh. I don't know what you're talking about.

blush

To my credit, I'm a lot better than I used to be...but I still have a long way to go!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM