Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #12318 03/21/08 01:11 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    h

Last edited by master of none; 12/25/13 08:02 AM.
    I really love the book "6+1 writing traits. That's helped DS considerably.

I like 'Not Just Schoolwork' by Amy Burke and Nathan Levy, and loved it as a child, although DS hates it.

I like the following books - The Giver, City of Ember, A wrinkle in time, Percy Jackon Series, Gregor the Underlander series, and think they might be good launching pads. All are boy-friendly, in case DS is playing Summer Mom School, too.

If you don't end up homeschooling all the way, a family custom to aim for might be to establish that all children will do 10 minutes of homework/grade, and that if the school doesn't provide this 'homework' then Mom will assign it. I think that expecting kids to work at their readiness level afterschool is a wonderful family tradition to establish for almost every kid, particulaly in this NCLB age.

Seems to me that finding a way for your daughter to share her product, reading it to family or little kids, or a website, or submitting it to a local newspaper or a contest (have you heard of that write a novel in November thing? Scholastic has contests too) is going to be a key part of the program.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OMG! The Giver is a 'New Middle School Classic' - just google them. Too bad your local library doesen't have a kid's book club.

Dr. Ruf talks about gifted kids (and adults too) having a 'brag deficeit' and needing lots and lots of opportunities to 'share' what they have learned. I think that it is due to elementary school being so 'concrete skill' oriented, while many of our kids are 'abstract thought' oriented. I wrote 'Spread his wings and Fly' third one down on this page - http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/analogies.htm
    to try to describe my son's experience in elementary school.

Sound Familiar?
    Grinity

I love that analogy Grinity. I had read it before, but re-reading it just know cements my confidence that I did the right thing by DD5 last week when I called an "intervention" at school.
    It's sometimes intimidating to be unconventional, but I think it's very called for in some situations.

Thanks again!

Neato

K
    K
    Hey Grinity - thanks for the ideas!

master of none - I am in a similar position as you and we are now about 95% sure we will be homeschooling after this year. I also have a first grader.

I am wondering if anyone has used jr. great books as a basis for homeschool reading, comprhension, discussion, vocab, etc? I know the program is designed for larger group discussion, but I have been fairly impressed with the small scale pull out they are doing at school with a parent volunteer. The stories my son have read have been really good. I think he's doing 2nd or 3rd grade level? Anyone worked with 4th or 5th grade level?

Of course once I was at HoagiesGifted, I had to look around, and saw this game, which might be an answer to your prayers,MON, or at least a lot of fun:

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game (all ages)
    Players create a story together, using cards that show typical elements from fairy tales. One player is the Storyteller, and creates a story using the ingredients on her cards. She tries to guide the plot towards her own ending. The other players try to use cards to interrupt her and become the new Storyteller. The winner is the first player to play out all her cards and end with her Happy Ever After card...

A
    A
    Have you heard of Launch Pad? I think I originally found the link through HoagiesGifted. It's a new magazine that publishes kids' art and stories. It's currently just published online, I think. They're seeking submissions for future issues, though. Maybe some of the future issues could provide a starting point for little projects in art or writing. The last time I checked they listed what their future issues' subjects will be.

It doesn't really answer your original question but I thought it might be helpful.

http://www.launchpadmag.com/index.shtml

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM