Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    For others who are looking too, I'm also having a lot of luck with finding picture books that have longer more involved story lines, some as long as a chapter in a chapter book. Picture books have really blossomed in the last couple of decades!

I don't try to be too selective at the library, I just get stacks and stacks and then preview them before I read them to her.

U
    U
    Bill Peet does some really great, long picture books with high-level vocabulary.

O
    O
    Wind in the Willows, Authors: Jan Brett, Grahme Base(sp?), Brian Jacques have wonderful picture books with lenghty text.

Chapter books I reccomend Frog and toad, Nate the Great, and The Magic Rainbow Fairies.

Look for web sites on these too. Let me know if you have trouble finding anything and I will be more specific.

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/19/11 11:58 AM.
    E
    E
    I was just coming here to suggest longer picture books.

Many Moons

Many Moons, by James Thurber, has become DD's favorite book. She requests it almost every night. We call it many words. It is practically a 50 page novel. I timed my husband reading it the other night. It took 32 minutes, and my husband was reading fast. But, each page has a beautiful water color print.

I am also excited because DD loves the Frog and Toad books and Owl at Home. These were the only books by Arnold Lobel I could find at B&N. But, I just found a ton more on Amazon. Now, these books are long, but they don't have nearly the complexity or vocabulary that Many Moons does. DD just loves the feeling of these books. I find them boring, but I get it. They are sweet.

I really loves these picture books for their complexity and good vocab:

Zen shorts
    Shrek
    Ferdinand
    Anatole
    Amos and Boris
    Sylvester and the magic pebble
    James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children

Fun topic! My DS enjoyed listening to the old classic fairy tales and myths at that age (but if your DD is sensitive, maybe the more modern versions would be better). I second the Ramona series, especially the first couple where she was young. Also the other Beverly Cleary books - Henry and Mouse and the Motorcycle (actually I didn't like the Mouse books, but many kids do).

We loved Frog and Toad too, and DS started getting into Magic Treehouse in his late 3's. One caveat with those - read a couple first to be sure that you want to read them over and over to your kiddo. I got so sick of them. I told DS we would only get new ones if he read them on his own. I'm mean that way.

I 3rd the frog and toad, and add Beatrix Potter - the orignsl complete works, we had a big book of all of them and at 2.5 it was DS's favorite!!

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 08/19/11 12:49 PM. Reason: Spelled my Id wrong!!!
    Ditto Frog and Toad, Magic School bus, Paddington, Little Bear; Beatrix Potter

Madeline - was a big favorite of my son at 2.5 years old.

Curious George

Mr Men/Little Miss series

Henry and Mudge series

Fly Guy series, a bit aimed at reluctant readers and boys though, but they are funny and captivating.

Anything by Richard Scarry

Barbar

Anything by Maurice Sendak or Tomie DePaola

O
    O
    I daughter use to really laugh with Junie B Jones and Amelia Bedilia(sp?)

Oh yeah, Mr. & Mrs Green, they had humor too

I just can't seem to stop- one more thought, it's also fun to listen to these on CD, Frog and Toad is especially good on CD
    Have fun.

Last edited by onthegomom; 08/19/11 03:50 PM.
    Originally Posted by kcab
    A couple ideas that I haven't seen on here yet:

the Paddington books,

Magic School Bus - the original ones with the dense pictures (personally, I found these a pain to read...you may want to wait, but I know the kids liked them at that age and later),

Freddy the Pig books might be good (though, I haven't read a lot of them - they were a DH favorite at some point in time),

Doctor Doolittle books,

books of poetry - AA Milne's poem books are a good place to start,

Little Bear books (Minarik) (easy readers, but loved & lovely)

Oh, didn't read these to either kid at that age, and might be better for older, but keep an eye out for the Quigley series by Simon Mason.

We have an old series of books that are compilations of different types of stories (folk & fairy tales, nature tales, myths, etc). Those have been good to read and go back to over and again. Don't forget the 398.2 section in the library - lots of good folk and fairy tale books are shelved there (assuming Dewey Decimal system).

We loved the Frog and Toad books, and Owl at Home too. Obviously, talking animals are popular around here.

ETA: Oh yes, I agree, don't forget Beatrix Potter! (speaking of talking animals!)

M
    M
    Agree with Enid Blyton

And I see that no one here has suggested Roald Dahl... My kids LOVE his books for bedtime stories. Try the Twits, James and the Giant Peach, BFG to start. Older kids will love Matilda, the Witches...

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM