Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
    C
    C
    Our second was much, much easier as a baby. Heck, even the labor didn't involve a three day induction, so I can say that was easier!

On the other hand, I'm kind of leaning toward our oldest being easier as an older kid and teen than our younger one, who talks non-stop and is rather defensive and oppositional. I really didn't do anything differently with the two of them!

I notice the "zombie" type look on kids around here too. Very different look in their eyes compared to what I see in mine. I thought for a while that I felt mine were more focused just because I KNOW my kids. But quickly that assumption was out the window. There is a huge, undeniable difference.

When DS4 was not even a year old he would be playing with a labyrinth toy at the play center we go to with a lot of other kids. The difference in focus was very apparent. The same now with DS2 (do not know yet if he is gifted too but I suspect)
    I saw a video just recently of DS2 being about 10 minutes old. He was "sitting up" against my legs as I was laying down, eyes wide open, looking around...he looks like he is about 3 months old. At the time I didn't now anything different since DS4 was the same way. I also was not aware of the gifted concept. But it sure looks really funny to me now that I realize that is probably not normal....:-)

Last edited by 1111; 02/09/12 12:30 PM.
    M
    M
    Our 2nd was our easiest, our third our hardest, *i* was the zombie that first year, not her. She's the most delightful and difficult child... And probably our most gifted at a guess.

Originally Posted by Agent99
    Ds came out of the womb ALL BOY. He'd run across the dining room and the family room at high speed and perform a full superman leap onto dd
    shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by islandofapples
    Ever since DD was little DH and I can't help but notice and remark (to one another afterward, of course) that the other kids DD's age seem to be almost... sleepy? Like they have a glazed over look in their eyes...

This is a terrible thing to even think and I don't really think those children were slow, but I'm wondering if that ever happened to any of you.

Thoughts?

I thought I was just imagining I saw that "sleepy" look. That's a perfect description.

DS' eyes are always sparkling and alert and when you see him with most other kids his age (and some older), you see the difference.

We've even had complete strangers comment on how engaging he is.

T
    T
    Other children often seemed drugged with that glazed look, and I was always taken aback by their language which seemed very babyish. They often seemed much less intense, and I was stunned at how they could just sit and stare into space. My children always seemed very restless, intense, awake, and just THERE in an obvious way. I feel guilty writing all this and it seems so politically incorrect to admit, but its the truth.

Val Offline
    Umm. Trying to say this gently. Feel free to disagree with me loudly.

The "Do you brag?" thread was a big discussion about how other people can get wound up if we talk about our kids and traits they were born with. Some people felt it was unfair to judge a gifted child negatively for traits he was born with.

It seems to me that some of the posts on this thread cross (way over) the line and are looking down on other children for the way that they were born. I don't think we want to come across as looking down on others (?), yet I think this thread is doing just that.

This is just my two little pennies dropping quietly onto the table of discussion.

Last edited by Val; 02/17/12 06:43 PM. Reason: Clarity
    "I told DH... you know, maybe the other parents look at our daughter and think she has a dazed look on her face, too. We just think she is alert and there because we are used to her. Maybe no one else notices DD's alertness and thinks their child is the most aware one there..."
    -quoting OP

It stands to reason that you'd be more tuned in to your own kid. This is a spin-off of the Infant Alertness thread, right?! It is posted in the preschool, and most of the posters in this thread have the younger kids. The socially appropriate way to make this comparison is endless threads about, "help! My toddler won't stop!". Not, "um, why are the other kids going in slow-mo?". Get some class, folks! (i'm seriously the pot & kettle there.).

My perceptions of same age kids is they're all hooligans since we don't do Sunday School or Preschool my kids socialize at the playground at the mall. I didn't know Zombies could run that fast. Actually, I'm the Zombie and my kids ate my brain.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    The other kids always seemed... lesser to me somehow, sub-human almost, in a throwbacky kind of way that I couldn't quite fathom. Then, once I got DS's achievement and IQ testing results, I knew the reason. They were. whistle I knew then why when I brought doughnuts to day care one day, DS picked a powdered one packed with jelly, the way his head is packed full of brains, while the others picked the glazed ones with holes in the middle.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I lol'd like the Pillsburry Doughboy.

Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM