Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
    Agree with the "walking on eggshells". I am so tired of doing it day in and day out around other parents. Trying to minimize my kids accomplishments/knowledge to not offend someone else. When is it EVER about us parenting gifted kids?? On this board...I had hoped...

That being said I guess we should have been sticking with "my child seemed more alert" and not stated the obvious, being.. If my child is more alert who are they more alert THAN....

I am just very curious to know if there is such a thing as a discussion board for athletic, physically advanced kids would it be just as offensive to say: "My child is just very athletic and coordinated compared to other kids that seem uncoordinated". It just seems anytime it has to do with being advanced physically it is OK, but God forbid we ever talk about smarts..

I certainly would NOT be offended being on a athletic message board reading a statement like that. One would assume in a thread named "Your perception of other kids athletic abilities" the comments would be about just that.

I also would never be on a message board like that because both my sons fall into the clumsy category. And if someone stated that, I couldn't do anything but agree. YES, my kids are uncoordinated and clumsy compared to most other kids their age. It is a fact!

All kids are gifts, all kids have something that makes them special. My initial comment of other kids was not to offend. I am SURE most of those kids I talked about will beat my kids in sports ANY DAY.

Last edited by 1111; 02/19/12 11:39 AM.
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    erase
    ditto

Originally Posted by Michaela
    ditto this now

So I'm sitting here cooking potatoes in the microwave. Sometimes, when I cook them for a long time (in their skin), they get kind of crispy.

I'm having a hard time optimizing it so that they don't burn, but get as crispy as possible. I don't think there's a good solution to this problem. I just have to accept that they will only ever get a little crispy on their ends before they start burning.

100% ditto...

M
    M
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    erase
    ditto

ditto this now

So I'm sitting here cooking potatoes in the microwave. Sometimes, when I cook them for a long time (in their skin), they get kind of crispy.

I'm having a hard time optimizing it so that they don't burn, but get as crispy as possible. I don't think there's a good solution to this problem. I just have to accept that they will only ever get a little crispy on their ends before they start burning.

What a coincidence, I'm making potatoes right now too! Only I decided to use the oven instead of the microwave. LOL

A
    A

I'm having a hard time optimizing it so that they don't burn, but get as crispy as possible.

Use smaller potatoes, not the big baking potatoes. When I was in college, about half the time my lunch would be a few microwaved-until-crispy potatoes, dipped in a mixture of butter / salt / pepper. Mmmmm. Anyhow, the smaller the potato, the better they seemed to come out without burning.

Originally Posted by AlexsMom

I'm having a hard time optimizing it so that they don't burn, but get as crispy as possible.

Use smaller potatoes, not the big baking potatoes. When I was in college, about half the time my lunch would be a few microwaved-until-crispy potatoes, dipped in a mixture of butter / salt / pepper. Mmmmm. Anyhow, the smaller the potato, the better they seemed to come out without burning.

OK. I found some smaller potatoes. And some oranges. So, I held off on eating the potatoes and ate the oranges instead.

Now I'm not quite as hungry as I was before I ate the oranges.

Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
    erase
    ditto

ditto this now

What a coincidence, I'm making potatoes right now too! Only I decided to use the oven instead of the microwave. LOL

Beyond way off-topic.  There's a snark-fest forum called "Trolls With Wooden Spoons" that's a spin-off of what used to be Mothering dot Commune.  I've looked at TWS maybe 3 times.  Once when it was too small to check often, once when it came up in a MDC thread.  And now, because this thread has so many weird spots, just to see if it showed up.  It's not there yet.  However, they mocked Mr. W for being accelerated in preschool.  And they mocked Davidson Gifted Discussion Forum for having a thread about Gifted Hygine Issues.  Obviously, they're just having a little fun.  

http://trollswithwoodenspoons.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64423
    "Kid does not like to shower? Hates to clean up after himself?  GYFTED!"

http://trollswithwoodenspoons.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61675

"Gyfted school. Duh."

Came off of this sub forum called "other boards".
    http://trollswithwoodenspoons.com/viewforum.php?f=5

You have to actually make an account there to read the board.  But I just wanted you to know a little more about the variety of lurkers reading your posts here.  Being online is a little like being on a Reality TV show. 

It's not to say we should walk on eggshells for them.  Just saying whatever you say really does get spread around the www.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    M
    M
    Michaela - of my older children. My "good" sleeper is the one with the DYS iq.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Beyond way off-topic.  There's a snark-fest forum called "Trolls With Wooden Spoons" that's a spin-off of what used to be Mothering dot Commune.  I've looked at TWS maybe 3 times.  Once when it was too small to check often, once when it came up in a MDC thread.  And now, because this thread has so many weird spots, just to see if it showed up.  It's not there yet.  However, they mocked Mr. W for being accelerated in preschool.  And they mocked Davidson Gifted Discussion Forum for having a thread about Gifted Hygine Issues.  Obviously, they're just having a little fun.  

http://trollswithwoodenspoons.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64423
    "Kid does not like to shower? Hates to clean up after himself?  GYFTED!"

http://trollswithwoodenspoons.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61675

"Gyfted school. Duh."

Came off of this sub forum called "other boards".
    http://trollswithwoodenspoons.com/viewforum.php?f=5

You have to actually make an account there to read the board.  But I just wanted you to know a little more about the variety of lurkers reading your posts here.  Being online is a little like being on a Reality TV show. 

It's not to say we should walk on eggshells for them.  Just saying whatever you say really does get spread around the www.

Ugh. They say some really hateful stuff over there. I've seen it. They are like a little nasty clique of jealous / insecure women. I would avoid them like the plague in real life.

There is another one with a bunch of women who think children are disgusting and call moms "moos" and say really revolting things. They take threads from mothering and other places. I've seen them make fun of a mom who had a miscarriage. Truly nasty and I don't read it. I feel so sorry for them.

Last edited by islandofapples; 02/19/12 02:40 PM.
    I don't read it either.  I read here, twtm, fb, my emails, occasionally The Stir, and a whole load of Amazon Reviews.  Just saying I was shocked to read Mr. W being mocked.  I've never seen anything mockworthy posted by that family.  And the hygiene was a reminder that they're not real strict here about it only being gifted 24/7.  
    I meant for it to be a reminder that the forums are public.  Sadly, it proved  the other issue of, "why do they get to relax and post about other peoples flaws, and that other article "I'm annoyed by gifted people", or whatever.   Why do they get to say that, yet we shouldn't post that other people's babies are slow?  Feels like the old, "you should know better because you're smarter than they are.  We expect more out of you".  Right?!  Ouch, those two sentences sting.  

But do we want the right to be crude in our discussions of other groups of people, like them?  I like that this forum has a lot of down to earth, sensible people with a lot of  down to earth ways to implement and apply them.  

And now iM starting to feel a little guilty because I'm all talk, talk, talk -and I might have just de-railed an entire thread, which nice regular posters wanted to have and would have been interesting to read, I'm sure.  I might have just waited and watched and threw out a story of my own and been part of a conversation instead.  Sometimes, I'm "too smart for my own good".  Which is a nice way of saying I have a big mouth and I know it all.  Darn.
    My apologies to 1111 & Annette. I over-reacted.
    I'm having a Dabrowski's moment.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM