Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    V
    val123 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    I am new to this forum. I searched but was not successful. My kid who is a 4th grader has been selected for the gifted program. We are moving to texas in july. Will the program move from state to state? how long is this gifted test valid?

A
    A
    You might have better response if you post in the region-specific forum.

Where are you moving to in Texas? Each district has their own policies.

What test did your child take, and what were the scores? This information will really help people be able to answer your questions more accurately.

Originally Posted by val123
    Will the program move from state to state?
    The programs aren't national in any sense of the word, so no, the program doesn't move from state to state. It's possible that the new school will accept the testing from the old school. Even different schools withing the same district 'interpret' the rules differently.

If possible, go and observe the classrooms that your son might be entering after the move.

Good luck,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Which city and which school district in TX?

You should contact the gifted coordinator in the school district you are moving to.

Texas has a state mandate for gifted education, but each ISD implements it differently. I would imagine they will want to test your child themselves (our ISD uses the CogAT, combined with teacher input) but you'll have to talk to the ISD in question.

~amy
    T
    T
    Aculady is correct. Every place has their own policies ranging from easily worked with to totally rediculous and everything in between.

Does your child have a gifted IEP to bring with you to your new residence? Ours definitely helps during moves at least to back up that we aren't making everything up just for the fun of it.

Do you know the general area you are going to be living in. You could call the school board and see what their policies are on their gifted services etc and see what testing they use/are familiar with. Also they may have suggestions what they need from the losing school to help the transition go smoother.

Moving is no fun, being military we do it all too often and I dread it due to DS's academic needs. I wish you luck!

B
    B
    I live in Texas- all the responses are correct when they say each school district handles it different. Do you know where you are going to live? Plano uses the Cogat and looks at the MAP scores. Every district has a different threshold too- the better the academics the higher the percentage you need to be in to qualify for the GT program. Good Luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM